Title of the topics they write about in more detailed way:

Pros:
1. Consistent UI and shortcuts
2. Rapid development, add-ons and community support
3. Everything that we need is there inside Blender
4. External referencing in Blender is easy
5. Superior modeling tools

Cons
1. Lack of architectural UV mapping( Note:not easy)
2. No professional-grade scattering tool
3. Cycles badly need adaptive sampling and denoiser
4. Lack of curve editing functionality
5. No official IES support in Cycles

Rork

Re: Why an Indonesian studio choose Blender over 3ds

Post by Rork » 02 Jul 2016, 14:04

Looking at the cons, I would stick to 3ds.
And Pro nr.5? Really? 3ds has some really good poly modeling tools.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Draise

Post by Draise » 02 Jul 2016, 17:46

Blender Scattering tools.... using particles and weight maps.. I thought it was rather standard - out of the box?

My only con of Blender is the lack of a synoptic view of your scene, lack of node access into most 3D elements without addons, and the clumsy overview file management system. ALso.. the strange scene based append/link workflow.

But yes, he does have some good points - it's a pretty good tool in general.

Helli

Post by Helli » 02 Jul 2016, 18:38

Pro:
No license costs

Con:
Not enough professional artists available. Try finding a professional TD, Rigger or Generalist with 5+ years working experience using blender and see how many applications you'll get. (for employment and freelancers to scale for projects)

This is all you need to know in terms of pro and con when it comes to Blender. Everything else isn't really important for a studio (studio not freelancer).

forton

Post by forton » 03 Jul 2016, 23:30

I have mixed feelings about the rapid development advantage.
I often have the feeling that new tech is implemented in blender just to show of some programmer's skills and then not finished to a level that makes it really usefull or fun to use.

Sometimes a company behind the software with a certain goal and budget to get things done has it's advantages.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 04 Jul 2016, 09:16

Do you have any examples Forton?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Jul 2016, 11:18

There's another, really serious problem with Blender development. If I'm correct, there is no (feasible) way to write a C++ plugin for Blender. It's only Python API, so, this is plainly insufficient for processing any huge data, like connections to external renderers, simulators, deformers in ICE style, converters, so on. Only way is to write a patch of entire Blender, like "plugins" for Octane or V-Ray, but, then this is a new, separated Blender, no way to use two or more of such "plugins" together, except to save scene in one and load in another, if... saved scenes are compatible, and patched versions are ''re-wired'' completely to match the original. From my small experience with some old patches, all sort of problems were to expect, from missing features to bugs. In short, I'm afraid all that story about Blender development simply is running at level, far below of "usual" 3d app, especially Max, which was created from day one, to be able to have almost anything as plugin. Some things are incomparable, and they are not in favor of Blender, nicely to say.

And yeah, there's standard problem of 3d app, not widely used for making money. Even programmer wants to create a finished, useful tool in real life, there's nothing to motivate, to go anywhere further than showing the skill.

By the way, have to admit I almost forgot Blender in last few years, since Houdini Indie, Maya LT, free Fusion and else. Somehow traditionally used it for UV, also for playing with floating point comps in new compositor. Now both are replaced by a way stronger tools, Maya for UVs, Fusion for comps.
Last edited by Mathaeus on 04 Jul 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 04 Jul 2016, 11:22

They choose it because it's free.

End of.

danyargici

Post by danyargici » 04 Jul 2016, 13:01

"ALso.. the strange scene based append/link workflow"
Personally, I see this as a great feature.

"There's another, really serious problem with Blender development. If I'm correct, there is no (feasible) way to write a C++ plugin for Blender"
As far as I'm aware this is simply not true. CubeSurfer for instance is available as a compiled plugin/addon, not a patch.

I really enjoy using Blender but I think it's biggest feature-hole is how it lacks ways to view and manage your data efficiently. It's a really big problem, but I think it's going to be the main focus for 2.8 as you can see here:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Jul 2016, 13:44

danyargici wrote: "There's another, really serious problem with Blender development. If I'm correct, there is no (feasible) way to write a C++ plugin for Blender"
As far as I'm aware this is simply not true. CubeSurfer for instance is available as a compiled plugin/addon, not a patch.
Thanks for info, but I'd really like to see Octane or VRay plugin first.
By the way, there's yet another, let's say ethical issue. As it is mentioned here on forum, today this app behaves as total Autodesk of open source 3d, so maybe there's a time to give a ''moral support" to something else, finally. In good old times, POV-Ray definitively was a king of open source 3d, but there were other players, too. These days, everything in open source 3d has to fit into vision and ideas of Blender and nothing else. Enough is enough, I'd say.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Jul 2016, 13:56

Mathaeus wrote: today this app behaves as total Autodesk of open source 3d, so maybe there's a time to give a ''moral support" to something else, finally. (...) These days, everything in open source 3d has to fit into vision and ideas of Blender and nothing else. Enough is enough, I'd say.
My feelings exactly... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

danyargici

Post by danyargici » 04 Jul 2016, 14:51

Show me someone else doing anything *remotely* close to what they're doing and I'll support it all the way.

I respect your opinion but as far as I'm concerned they put a tremendous amount of energy into developing this tool and frankly I can't paint any kind of scenario in my mind where this can be anything other than positive.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Jul 2016, 17:17

Freestyle would seem to be a good example. This once was an independent tool, that now "ships" with Blender...
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it feels as if open source 3D cannot exist anymore unless it is part of Blender.
^#(^

danyargici

Post by danyargici » 04 Jul 2016, 18:32

Sorry to sound blunt, but that is a terrible example. How were you or anybody else using Freestyle to render, practically speaking? Integrating it into Blender made it accessible and ensured the resources to implement a plethora of improvements.

Why does everyone harbour such a caustic attitude towards Blender? I really, honestly, don't understand.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Jul 2016, 18:34

Well, I don't know about you, but I actually used Freestyle for a bit before it became part of Blender... ;)

danyargici

Post by danyargici » 04 Jul 2016, 18:41

Fair enough. B-)

I would think you were the exception however. I'm sure it's user base is far greater post-integration, and if it were me developing it I'd be pleased as punch about it.