Where can you still buy Softimage?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Jho

Where can you still buy Softimage?

Post by Jho » 08 Jun 2016, 06:10

Hi.

My studio is hiring a new animator and we don't have enough licenses.
As you know, Autodesk doesn't sell it anymore, so where could we find one?

Preferably SI 2013, because that's what the rest of us have, but 2014 or 2015 would probably work just as well.

owei
Administrator

Re: Where can you still buy Softimage?

Post by owei » 08 Jun 2016, 10:46

Hey!

I´m afraid, there is no way to buy a new version Softimage anymore. If you are in the EU, you are allowed to buy a preowned version. AD transfers the license for free to the new owner. Maybe check that with you local reseller.

Cheers
oliver

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 08 Jun 2016, 11:10

Oliver. Do you know that for 100% sure?

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 08 Jun 2016, 11:17

Pooby, do you mean the preowned thingy?
I´m pretty sure it is legal in Germany and in the whole EU..take a look here:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/25 ... nline.html

I had a talk with my reseller and he forwarded me a form for the license transfer..take a look here:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer ... p-licenses

cheers,
oli

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jun 2016, 12:42

Just checked in the Autodesk Store: you can still buy the "Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate", which apparently still includes Softimage, until July 31, 2016.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 08 Jun 2016, 12:47

...yes..so it seems... for just 11.228,80 € =))

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jun 2016, 12:49

:p
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Jho

Post by Jho » 08 Jun 2016, 12:59

Damn, if only we could scrap Max from there (and it's price tag) it would actually be a good fit. We are most likely switching to Maya when ever we stop using Softimage, and it would be nice to have a copy to start planning how to move our pipeline there.

I found one store still selling Softimage: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/927534-REG/autodesk_590e1_05521e_1001_softimage_2013_nlm.html

At least I think HB is a legit store and it says "IN STOCK"...

BenR

Post by BenR » 08 Jun 2016, 14:54

B&H is definitely a legit store. But that page is for SI2013 so my guess it just hasn't been updated in a while. Were they still selling boxed versions then?

lard

Post by lard » 08 Jun 2016, 15:01

I'm in the US and you can buy and sell (previously purchased) permanent licenses of AD products. I got some work in 3ds Max and purchased a permanent license from fellow 3d artist. AD transferred the license without resistance. The process was as simple as filling out a form, both parties sign the form, and open a ticket with included info. Took about 3 days for AD to reply. The license was transferred about 2 days later.

In general, I've found the information AD releases to be more of a misinformation campaign.

Did you know that for 2 years anyone buying a Max or Maya license could have bought the Max with SI or Maya with SI license for no extra cost? AD had everyone convinced only current Softimage license holders could buy those products. Totally false and totally illegal (in the US); you can't sell to a subset of people. So think of all those Max/Maya purchases from 2014 to 2016 which would have received a free SI license. You have to watch AD's wording. They have an agenda. Sadly the agenda was to bury Softimage.

If you find someone willing to sell a permanent Softimage license, AD will transfer it. Although I'm sure they would rather not.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 08 Jun 2016, 16:22

I'm in the US and you can buy and sell (previously purchased) permanent licenses of AD products. I got some work in 3ds Max and purchased a permanent license from fellow 3d artist. AD transferred the license without resistance. The process was as simple as filling out a form, both parties sign the form, and open a ticket with included info. Took about 3 days for AD to reply. The license was transferred about 2 days later.

In general, I've found the information AD releases to be more of a misinformation campaign.

Did you know that for 2 years anyone buying a Max or Maya license could have bought the Max with SI or Maya with SI license for no extra cost? AD had everyone convinced only current Softimage license holders could buy those products. Totally false and totally illegal (in the US); you can't sell to a subset of people. So think of all those Max/Maya purchases from 2014 to 2016 which would have received a free SI license. You have to watch AD's wording. They have an agenda. Sadly the agenda was to bury Softimage.

If you find someone willing to sell a permanent Softimage license, AD will transfer it. Although I'm sure they would rather not.
Hum! Thanks for the Info! Good to know!

For the item, perhaps seeking B&H support on the matter?

I doubt it's like a rogue database entry (also seen elsewhere), as item availability seems otherwise thoroughly maintained.

Perhaps there is somehow an obligation or some motivation in letting it remain somehow slightly available?

Or perhaps was there some reseller independence due to something like prepaid licenses if there was such a thing?

I wouldn't ask for official source confirmation of any that, but if B&H explicitly confirms upon request that it's 'real', then it probably is.

luceric

Post by luceric » 08 Jun 2016, 19:17

What I find a little strange is that the B&H product says it's "Electronic Download" and therefore no box, but I'm curious to know if it is indeed legit.
lard wrote:Did you know that for 2 years anyone buying a Max or Maya license could have bought the Max with SI or Maya with SI license for no extra cost? AD had everyone convinced only current Softimage license holders could buy those products. Totally false and totally illegal (in the US); you can't sell to a subset of people.
if that were true, any software upgrades would be illegal, because they all require that you own a license of the original product. They did change the requirements for the transition bundles a few months into it, probably because it's too hard to manage
Last edited by luceric on 08 Jun 2016, 20:41, edited 3 times in total.

lard

Post by lard » 08 Jun 2016, 20:03

if that were true, any software upgrades would be illegal, because they all require that you own a license of the original product. They did change the requirements for the transition bundles a few months into it, probably because it's too hard to manage
I'm not following you.

During the last 2 years of Softimage, AD was selling additional licenses of Softimage. Studios could purchase however many license of Softimage they wanted. Those licenses came in the form of Maya with Softimage or Max with Softimage. They were about $3,500 for a perm license. A Max or Maya license was also $3,500... but for only Max or Maya.

These "products" were available to anyone.

luceric

Post by luceric » 08 Jun 2016, 20:35

lard wrote:
I'm not following you.

During the last 2 years of Softimage, AD was selling additional licenses of Softimage. Studios could purchase however many license of Softimage they wanted. Those licenses came in the form of Maya with Softimage or Max with Softimage. They were about $3,500 for a perm license. A Max or Maya license was also $3,500... but for only Max or Maya.

These "products" were available to anyone.
I quoted what I was replying to: you wrote it was "totally illegal" to sell a product to only a subset of people.

lard

Post by lard » 08 Jun 2016, 22:07

I see.

I don't believe I'm incorrect tho. AD can't restrict the sales of an upgrade to anyone. But they can require a previous license for it to run. But now we are just talking in circles for the sake of talking in circles.

Fun.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 09 Jun 2016, 15:07

Here are other possible avenues ::

PCM | Autodesk, 3ds Max with Softimage 2016 - New License - 1 additional seat - commercial - VCP, SLM - Win, 978H1-001151-10A1-VC
http://www.pcm.com/p/Autodesk-Graphics-And-Development-Software-Licensing/product~dpno~13466460~pdp.jahijaf?src=search

PCM | Autodesk, Maya with Softimage 2016 - New License - 1 additional seat - commercial - VCP, SLM - Linux, Win, Mac, 977H1-00115C-10A1-VC
http://www.pcm.com/p/Autodesk-Graphics- ... dp.jahiife

Autodesk Maya with Softimage 2016 - New License - 977H1-WWR11C-1001-VC - CAD/CAM Software - CDW.com
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Autod ... px?pfm=srh

Softmart.com - Autodesk 3ds Max with Softimage 2015 [978G1-WWR111-1001-VC]
http://www.softmartgov.com/products/det ... ccessories

Buy the Autodesk Softimage 2013 - New License at TigerDirect.ca
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=993

Autodesk Softimage 2014 (Download) 590F1-WWR11E-1001 B&H Photo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... l_new.html

If you search "Sofitmage" in any of these supplyers, there seem to also be upgrades, crossgrades "competitive trade-up"(?) and other types I don't know about.