Your Life, Your Max/Maya

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Your Life, Your Max/Maya

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Feb 2015, 20:08

It's been discussed elsewhere already, but let's highlight it here as well:
The new Autodesk campaign named "Your Life, Your Max" and "Your Life, Your Maya".
As ad campaigns go, not just the video BTW, but the webpage as well, this really is bad IMHO...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Re: Your Life, Your Max/Maya

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Feb 2015, 20:49

This ad may just make you decide that this job sucks! :ymdevil:

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 10 Feb 2015, 21:21

I agree with Mauricio on that one, if they are promoting drinking "energy" drinks to function and get through the day and then crash on a couch, that does not look like a good job at all - a reflection of the industry? And the website, what is it that I am buying or supposed to buy? Hmm...

Draise

Post by Draise » 10 Feb 2015, 22:27

heh, terrible. :ymapplause:

luceric

Post by luceric » 10 Feb 2015, 22:58

Yes well, much of XSI itself was created with long days and on energy drinks, and beer at the end of night. And we loved it.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Feb 2015, 23:22

luceric wrote:Yes well, much of XSI itself was created with long days and on energy drinks, and beer at the end of night. And we loved it.

But XSI is perfect! :)

Come back here in a few years to say if you had so much love on the Maya end! :P

P.S.: I was reading a post on facebook from Paul Neale, about a rig with feathers he did for a job and later the conversation went to performance in Max and Maya. And them Paul said: "XSI was way better than both of them.". Yeah baby! XSI rocks ... thanks to you Luceric and other great developers!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 11 Feb 2015, 00:59

From $125* ... What’s the catch?
Yeah wow how can it be so 'low'?

125 × 12 × 2 years (or arguably 3 years being more representative of when people typically choose to upgrade)
comes to 3,000 (or 4,500 for 3 years.. ) and the less committing 185 if you want to go on and off comes to ~4500 for 2 years (of usage)

Adobe at least a the beginning had (much) lower than usual rental (and promotional) prices to compensate for, or popularize otherwise almost unanimously unpopular bold moves, before surely ramping up to -at least- if not somewhat more than what it was (but broken-down), probably being the hole point of non-optional rental.

Because you can afford $4.17 a day. Honestly, you probably spend more than that on coffee.
Max for $4.17 ?
Wow! what low Low prices! (why not $0.000095 ! per second, almost FREE! )

The Classic "coffee a day" could cover the priceyest new bicycle in a bicycle shop.

But here it's more like a deluxe Beverly-hills coffee shop latté, every day for a couple of years...

No catch. No games.
all simple, "cool", and up front
You keep getting the latest version of 3ds Max (with support), and we get $125* a month.
(non-optionally always paying for the very latest, or always buying whatever is produced .. or not produced, or not buying/renting at-all)
Last edited by FXDude on 11 Feb 2015, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 11 Feb 2015, 02:35

The funny shape he did can be done in TopMod and imported to any software as an obj file. Did it in Softimage about 6 years ago... Not impressed.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Feb 2015, 03:30

MauricioPC wrote:
luceric wrote:Yes well, much of XSI itself was created with long days and on energy drinks, and beer at the end of night. And we loved it.
But XSI is perfect! :)

Come back here in a few years to say if you had so much love on the Maya end! :P

P.S.: I was reading a post on facebook from Paul Neale, about a rig with feathers he did for a job and later the conversation went to performance in Max and Maya. And them Paul said: "XSI was way better than both of them.". Yeah baby! XSI rocks ... thanks to you Luceric and other great developers!
Yeah well if that guy believed that, he had 15 years to use XSI but he chose to use Max instead. Maybe ask him about that. I think the only thing that's going one here is a max/maya argument and XSI being dragged in just to give the appearance of fairness.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 11 Feb 2015, 12:43

luceric wrote:Yeah well if that guy believed that, he had 15 years to use XSI but he chose to use Max instead. Maybe ask him about that. I think the only thing that's going one here is a max/maya argument and XSI being dragged in just to give the appearance of fairness.
Point taken. But if I'm not mistaken Paul works exclusively in games, so Max made sense? I don't know ... I might just ask him! :P

In any case ... the ad in question is terrible. I get that the artist life is hard, but trying to make it look like sleeping on a couch, having no time for a shower, coffee, etc, is cool it's just stupid.

As for the rental thing ... let's see how this will turn out. Adobe kind of has no competition ... I would say Autodesk (aside from animation) has a lot. For modeling and product/illustration you have Modo and C4D. For motion graphics you have C4D. For FX you have Houdini. I'm not too confident that they'll have the same accession as Adobe did. Let's wait and see.

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Feb 2015, 15:12

MauricioPC wrote:In any case ... the ad in question is terrible. I get that the artist life is hard, but trying to make it look like sleeping on a couch, having no time for a shower, coffee, etc, is cool it's just stupid.
must be a cultural thing, all I'm seeing is the urban creative lifestyle I love and most artists I've met are in. Perhaps we should reach out to the creator of the ad to make sure they fix the "shower" and "coffee" plot hole, or perhaps put out a PDF with the whole daily schedule to make sure it reflects a healthy lifestyle. I mean they didn't show toilet, so maybe he doesn't have the time to poop either. That could be harmful after several days - plus, hard to fight after a few cappuccinos. Don't ask how I know.
Last edited by luceric on 11 Feb 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 11 Feb 2015, 15:37

I answered through PM. Doesn't make sense to debate this things here.

I still think Autodesk will have more trouble selling the rental thing than Adobe did.

Helli

Post by Helli » 11 Feb 2015, 15:48

So Softimage is not included in the normal Suites anymore (wasn't it bundled in the normal ones before ?), only in the ultimate ?

markraz

Post by markraz » 11 Feb 2015, 19:34

Do you work for Softimage?

Helli

Post by Helli » 11 Feb 2015, 22:19

markraz wrote:
Do you work for Softimage?
He was. No one is working for Softimage anymore (even not under AD), except 2-3 trainees doing some bugfixes (proof me wrong ;) ).

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Feb 2015, 23:01

Helli wrote:So Softimage is not included in the normal Suites anymore (wasn't it bundled in the normal ones before ?)
no it wasn't in the standard suite, it was only in the middle "premium suite" created just for that.