Your Life, Your Max/Maya

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Your Life, Your Max/Maya

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Feb 2015, 12:59

Okay, let me add my own additional "2 cents" to this thread as well (all IMHO, obviously):
For what the campaign tries to sell - desktop subscription - the lifestyle video really doesn't make all that much sense,
especially considering it having been split up into two separate "Your Max" and "Your Maya" categories.
The fact that these two categories are near identical makes one wonder, if it would have been better to make it a "Your Life, Your Autodesk" campaign,
in which the video would have fitted much better.
The fact that the two packages are treated equally/identically on their respective webpage makes the fact that they are artificially separated quite laughable.
One item per page to highlight the specific virtues of the respective software could have easily remedied that.
The impression that Max and Maya are essentially the same is not
what one would expect Autodesk to try to sell to the world (even if they are).
As it stands: a bad ad campaign. It does have a message, but it presents this message poorly. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 12 Feb 2015, 13:59

Well, it's a good job you guys don't work in advertising, as in actually creating ads and campaigns. :)

The key thing is actually understanding what advertising actually is, and how it works along side marketing and sales. When it comes to campaigns like this, they'll have a purpose, an aim in which its trying to do something, and maybe a target audience in mind.
Adverting is all about trying to drive behaviour and persuade the audience to take some action. And that could be as simple as getting them to see a website, with information on it. And once that happens, a whole new strategy takes over and its all about 2nd and 3rd clicks, etc, etc.

You could argue that the very fact that this thread exists and the campaign in question is being discussed, means that it's in part successful. It's created and driven behaviour, ok you might not be a Maya or Max fan, but you might not have been the target audience.

And yes, I have actually worked in advertising.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Feb 2015, 14:06

Bellsey wrote:Well, it's a good job you guys don't work in advertising, as in actually creating ads and campaigns. :)
Spare me the condescending remarks. I indeed haven't worked in advertisement, but did study it extensively at university and judging by your linkedin page I wonder if you're such an expert... Disagree, that's fine, but waltzing in here, just to question people's level of expertise, no thank you...

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 12 Feb 2015, 14:10

Bellsey wrote:Well, it's a good job you guys don't work in advertising, as in actually creating ads and campaigns. :)

The key thing is actually understanding what advertising actually is, and how it works along side marketing and sales. When it comes to campaigns like this, they'll have a purpose, an aim in which its trying to do something, and maybe a target audience in mind.
Adverting is all about trying to drive behaviour and persuade the audience to take some action. And that could be as simple as getting them to see a website, with information on it. And once that happens, a whole new strategy takes over and its all about 2nd and 3rd clicks, etc, etc.

You could argue that the very fact that this thread exists and the campaign in question is being discussed, means that it's in part successful. It's created and driven behaviour, ok you might not be a Maya or Max fan, but you might not have been the target audience.

And yes, I have actually worked in advertising.

Cool that you have worked in advertising, congrats to you. I have friends who have won Gold and Silver Lions. I'm pretty sure that if I show this to them, their perception will be similar to mine.

I haven't worked in advertising, but I have study it (two times, in university and in post-graduation). But ... for this discussion, there's two types of advertising ... the bad ones that work and the good ones that work better. I'm just saying that this is a bad one (IMHO).

And I don't have to work with advertising to have this opinion.

Cheers.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 12 Feb 2015, 14:21

Ahoy Matey! :ar!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 12 Feb 2015, 14:38

=)) thanks for posting this ad here

the ad is lame, but the product is fine (renting software I mean)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 12 Feb 2015, 16:07

Hirazi Blue wrote: Spare me the condescending remarks. I indeed haven't worked in advertisement, but did study it extensively at university and judging by your linkedin page I wonder if you're such an expert... Disagree, that's fine, but waltzing in here, just to question people's level of expertise, no thank you...
Abit condescending, yes, I would concede that, but it wasn't deliberate. I've generalised based on reading some of the previous posts.
If you want to dissect my Linkedin, that's ok. I can back up every entry on there. They are very summarised though. At the studio I first started working for, we would chase alot of advertising work, because it nearly always paid the most. We were working closely with agencies themselves and eventually fully on campaigns with account teams. Sadly that studio no longer exists, but its where I cut my teeth so to speak. I still know many people from back then, so are still in advertising.

As for waltzing in here, etc, yes perhaps guilty, but no more or less than anyone else does in here.

MauricioPC wrote: Cool that you have worked in advertising, congrats to you. I have friends who have won Gold and Silver Lions. I'm pretty sure that if I show this to them, their perception will be similar to mine.

I haven't worked in advertising, but I have study it (two times, in university and in post-graduation). But ... for this discussion, there's two types of advertising ... the bad ones that work and the good ones that work better. I'm just saying that this is a bad one (IMHO).

And I don't have to work with advertising to have this opinion.

Cheers.
Sure there are good and bad advertising, and some would say there's no such thing as bad advertising or bad publicity. But the key is the brief and has it been fulfilled in a way that the client is happy with. We may think something is crap but without really knowing he full brief, it's hard to be fully adjective. I don't know what the brief is in this instance.
I think the video is ok, perhaps not what I would of done, but I get it. I can kinda see what's going on here.

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Feb 2015, 16:38

Hirazi Blue wrote:Okay, let me add my own additional "2 cents" to this thread as well (all IMHO, obviously):
For what the campaign tries to sell - desktop subscription - the lifestyle video really doesn't make all that much sense,
especially considering it having been split up into two separate "Your Max" and "Your Maya" categories.
The fact that these two categories are near identical makes one wonder, if it would have been better to make it a "Your Life, Your Autodesk" campaign,
in which the video would have fitted much better.
The fact that the two packages are treated equally/identically on their respective webpage makes the fact that they are artificially separated quite laughable.
One item per page to highlight the specific virtues of the respective software could have easily remedied that.
The impression that Max and Maya are essentially the same is not
what one would expect Autodesk to try to sell to the world (even if they are).
As it stands: a bad ad campaign. It does have a message, but it presents this message poorly. ;)
I think it's a pretty good campaign. Whether you've made Max or Maya your lifestyle choice, you see what you want in that video. Your app is there, perhaps you use the other one occasionally for something, but you're equally part of the big leagues. If there had been a Softimage landing page too, you'd probably found it brilliant. Neither M&E Max or Maya artist think of themselves as generic "Autodesk" client, they're Max or Maya artists. This ad is about supporting Max and Maya doing what they do, not getting them to debate their product, buy a suite or something else.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 12 Feb 2015, 16:45

Bellsey wrote:Sure there are good and bad advertising, and some would say there's no such thing as bad advertising or bad publicity. But the key is the brief and has it been fulfilled in a way that the client is happy with. We may think something is crap but without really knowing he full brief, it's hard to be fully adjective. I don't know what the brief is in this instance.
I think the video is ok, perhaps not what I would of done, but I get it. I can kinda see what's going on here.

Agreed! B-)

In any case, do anybody knows if that are the final prices? Kind of a lot more expensive than what you get from Adobe full suite of products.

As for the whole SaaS thing, talking to a few people in the industry, I'm not that against it anymore, but I did wish we had a option (suites aside).

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Feb 2015, 16:49

luceric wrote:If there had been a Softimage landing page too, you'd probably found it brilliant.
While you do raise a valid point in your post, one I disagree with, but valid nonetheless,
this little condescending remark shows how "well" you know this community (and me).
;)

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Feb 2015, 17:26

Hirazi Blue wrote:
luceric wrote:If there had been a Softimage landing page too, you'd probably found it brilliant.
While you do raise a valid point in your post, one I disagree with, but valid nonetheless,
this little condescending remark shows how "well" you know this community (and me).
;)
There is nothing condescending there! Softimage users wanted to see their software presented as an equal choice to Maya just like Max users, no "if" or "but", just equal. Not having a max specific landing page would have been a mistake I think.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 12 Feb 2015, 20:00

That is a sweeping comment you made Bellsey about people's experiences and intellect. Personally, I think the message could have been stronger and if Autodesk wants to portray their message in that fashion, then that is up to them. Take the text off of the website, what are you trying to sell...Xbox, concerts, walks on the beach, etc.? I can see the message that they were going for, but I think it could have been better on target.

Note: I understand the strength and importance of the text as they correlate to the images and message, however, I just don't see any hint of tie-in to the actual product sans the text.
Last edited by Rez007 on 15 Feb 2015, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 Feb 2015, 21:09

Come on, who works 52 weeks a year?
Which means there's probably no reason to pay for 3ds Max all year long.
Now you don't have to. Get it when you need it for a project. Don't when you don't.
For that (month to month option) to be worth-it, you would have to use it 3~6 months,
cause 9 months comes to the same price as yearly.
(good if you have very-very long play times while having to pay for all the camouflaged price hikes)

Join the movement
The (imposed) movement (coming from the wrong end)...
making people clammer on their existing plans as long as they could possibly last,
while portraying as if it came from the other way around.

Otherwise, Super cool ad. Very convincing.