Autodesk going all rental?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
talent103

Re: Autodesk going all rental?

Post by talent103 » 04 Sep 2014, 20:15

"There's also always news going out to Subs customers, it's not as if its never ever happened."
I had been on subscription since 2008 and they never communicated to me directly. Unless you count them letting me know my subscription was about to expire. I never knew if an update was available unless I read it on the boards from a non AD source. And if I went looking for a download in subscription center it was never there. I had to ask humbly on the boards for a link. I was the holder/admin and I never got any news in all my sub time. Nothing zilch nada.

"And some would say that the good old email blast might be considered old hat these days and using Facebook and Twitter is better for hitting a larger audience. Many companies do this, not just Autodesk."
It wouldn't have cost much to do both. But they did not. All news I got from boards was not directly from AD. It was an F U to the subscriber. Subscribers should have been the first to know. I don't give a $h*t anymore as I happily let my sub expire in August. No more XSI and no more benefit for me. Other than being on the latest and greatest version I had no other benefit from subscription.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Sep 2014, 21:02

Bellsey wrote: There's also always news going out to Subs customers, it's not as if its never ever happened. Whether anything gets through or not, well that's different story. In multi seat studios, news can go to the account holder/admin and not to individuals. Also, I've heard of people auto-deleting emails they get.
Sorry, but that strikes me as a somewhat strange remark.
In all my years "on" subscription not much more than the annual renewal reminders have come my way and I do have a very lenient spamfilter. :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 04 Sep 2014, 22:20

I've heard that due to an anti-spam corporate policy, if you unsubscribed from any autodesk communication in a last few years , it unsubscribed you for all autodesk communication. There is no way to mail these people any announcement anymore. Looks to me that this might be a way to get into contact with subscription users. In any case, every customer I've visited complained that they are not receiving any notices of extensions, new features, etc.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 04 Sep 2014, 22:54

I never unsubscribed to any Autodesk mailing list. I was always trying to get subscribed to what ever info / news I could get out of them.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Sep 2014, 12:24

Hirazi Blue wrote:
Bellsey wrote: There's also always news going out to Subs customers, it's not as if its never ever happened. Whether anything gets through or not, well that's different story. In multi seat studios, news can go to the account holder/admin and not to individuals. Also, I've heard of people auto-deleting emails they get.
Sorry, but that strikes me as a somewhat strange remark.
In all my years "on" subscription not much more than the annual renewal reminders have come my way and I do have a very lenient spamfilter. :-?
There isn't much I can say about communications getting through and peoples experiences, but it doesn't surprise me that it's inconsistent.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 05 Sep 2014, 14:04

Funny how subscription reminders always got through. Actually I submit that nothing else was ever sent. Are you saying Autodesk regularly sent out notice to subscribers that a new .1 or .2 upgrade was available plus a link on where to download it but we just mysteriously never got it? If so I call BS on you.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Sep 2014, 14:20

I don't control or manage how communications get sent out, but as I say it doesn't surprise me that it's inconsistent. I know people who get things all the time, and then others who get nothing.
Nothing wrong with calling BS, that's your prerogative. Thing is, there isn't much I can do or say to disprove anything.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 05 Sep 2014, 19:45

Yeah well I know people who have seen Big Foot.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 06 Sep 2014, 00:35

dont worry folks, I have a strong feeling that ADSKs currently 'spotty' social media contact will soon enough turn to a bloody nose at the current rate they are going at it. subscriber only news.. the lols. reminds me of when some newspapers tried to payperview freely available online content. see Financial strategies section here
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Sep 2014, 02:56

Subscription Benefits. You will be the first to hear about our news, promotions, technical documentation and new training materials. You will also receive priority invitations to attend events we host so that you can see us face-to-face.
"Priority invitation", news and promotions! Well sign. me. up. now!

Ho wait, that's not from Autodesk's web site, that's from The Foundry. Nevermind.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Sep 2014, 12:42

The day The Foundry kills NukeX and force it's users into a no better alternative called Fu**eX. The day they stay some years without proper advancements on new versions.

When these days come, I'm sure people will make fun of the subscription advantages. :)

AD image in the cg community is so bad that anything they do is seen as stupid, strange or with distrust.

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Sep 2014, 13:58

that was a comment about the elitism complaint of a subscription newsletter rather than a comment on the mockery it generated on the modo forum.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Sep 2014, 15:36

I did understand that and what I'm saying is that people see whatever comes from Autodesk with negativity, different from what other companies may be doing.

So from Autodesk, a newsletter for subscription users is elitism. From Foundry, it's just a special feature, enhanced communication.

And that happens because the consensus online is that Autodesk is the host of the most evil people in the world. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

That's not the case, but you get the idea.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Sep 2014, 17:27

MauricioPC wrote:And that happens because the consensus online is that Autodesk is the host of the most evil people in the world. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
But isn't that merely the consensus among "us" "Media & Entertainment" people? I haven't got a clue what's going on in the user base of the other divisions Autodesk caters to, but I imagine their response towards the company to be somewhat less violent and emotional. (But I might just as well be mistaken, I don't visit that part of the internet.)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Sep 2014, 19:32

MauricioPC wrote:I don't understand why we can't have options ... Rental and Purchase.
the more they tighten their grip, the more they loose..

I absolutely REFUSE to rent software. the only reason they are pushing that on us, is because they are creatively bank rupt.

this is why I don't see the reason to even HAVE The stockmarket or wall street in existence...just more ways for the rich and stupid to control the little guy.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 10 Sep 2014, 20:09

http://static.autodesk.net/dc/content/dam/autodesk/www/campaigns/startsmart/autodesk_pay-as-you-go_185SmartStart-Outlined.pdf

I saw this on my newsfeed. is this what you where talking about?

These products are way over priced to begin with. Mostly because only studios buy them and they can afford the huge ass price. the average person who wants to create fun animations can go broke trying to pay for either this or the full price