Migration to maya/max = turn the other cheek

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Eugen

Re: Migration to maya/max = turn the other cheek

Post by Eugen » 24 Apr 2014, 17:45

I hear you. I once poked into a nest of Maya guys a few years ago, suggesting, well, Softimage, but it was like talking to the hand.

Edit: on hindsight, they maybe spared themselves some trouble... lucky for them.

myara

Post by myara » 24 Apr 2014, 18:44

Eugen wrote:I start to wonder what still justifies the 'industry standard' status of Max and Maya.
Is everybody so happy with them?
Basically legacy tools created through all these years, solid SDK, easy to implement tools, ascii format, and tons of users and experts around the world. So from a technical and management POV, Maya may be a better choice than Softimage and that usually has more influence in the final decision than being just artist friendly.

Well, that and the fact that a lot of Maya users haven't used anything but Maya so they don't know how much Maya sucks. They just don't know better.

When I had to use Maya for the first time (at that time, besides XSI, I only had little experience with 3D Studio Max and Lightwave) I though, this may be better than my XSI experience, I mean, it is "the industry standard" right? Oh how wrong I was. I can't add a single vertex without breaking my character's weight? what?! And I can't save weights without having to use an script that I have to search in the internet? No Freeze Modeling? I didn't realized until that moment how good XSI was.

I guess Maya users have the opposite idea, why would they try something else if they are somewhat comfortable using "the industry standard".

It is curious though, that even with Maya being the most used app and all of that, it isn't easy to find help or solutions to Maya problems in the internet. I find way more help from the Softimage community. I guess isn't easy to find Maya experts willing to share their knowledge in the internet.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 25 Apr 2014, 10:13

Just on the side: My reseller still isn't able to tell me exactly whether I may use SI anymore if I stay on subscription and choose Maya as the new program. That's how shitty Autodesk communicates these things to everybody.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Apr 2014, 10:45

@Pancho - You might want to voice your concern in this thread as well,
as that one talks of similar issues and got the attention of Jill Ramsay of Autodesk already...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 25 Apr 2014, 11:04

Wird gemacht!