Fighting the depression

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
owei
Administrator

Fighting the depression

Post by owei » 07 Mar 2014, 09:23

Dear si-community!

As our subject is a very technical one, most of the time, this is a thread about emotion. We all are going trough hard times right now, and I hear a lot of bad emotions, sadness, anger and depression. So, I would like you to talk about your feelings, but I would also like to hear some ideas, how you handle and get over them. So, as a community we have to go through this somehow and maybe we can help each other...

Best,
oliver

azurecgi

Re: Fighting the depression

Post by azurecgi » 07 Mar 2014, 09:28

I just poured my thoughts into another thread and then refreshed to see this one!

I'll copy it here.
azurecgi wrote:This is getting more and more depressing by the day!

I've been going through some of the compounds I've built over the years that do some very 'project specific' effects and when I investigate doing any of them in Maya or Max the answers that come back vary from "impossible" to "very difficult" and the ones that are possible will require me getting up to speed very quickly in MEL or Python, both of which seem 'old fashioned' after ICE.

I have a real confidence when I take on a project using Softimage as I know that using ICE I can get the job done. If the standard toolset doesn't have what I need, I can quickly create a tool/deformer/effect.

This move by Autodesk is extremely short sighted and premature because Maya out of the box (and Max) just doesn't offer anywhere near what softimage does, especially to a small studio like mine.

How am I supposed to tell my clients that they can't have that effect in a new animation, even though I've produced it in the past for them because I've transitioned to a new, supposedly better ( =)) ), piece of 3d software and had the license for the software I used to use taken away?!

Even though it means spending a lot of money, that I can't really afford, and moving to a much higher yearly subscription model, I can see no alternative for the future but to 'transition' over to Houdini.

F... A.......!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 07 Mar 2014, 09:50

...OK...let me be more precise...You are mentioning a lot of "technical" stuff, but I would like this to be a little more abstract kind of discussion. I would like you to analyze your emotions in these times...begin to reflect. That is the first step to get the "actio" back, instead of just reacting to things a big evil company did to us.

OK, I will tell you mine first then.
I´ve gone through a couple of serious personal crises in the past 16 years. Somehow, my job and my passion for 3D always gave me certainty in these hard times. Softimage somehow was like a partner to me all these years. I met so many awesome people and the connection to them in first place was the software or the job. I became good friends with many of them. With Softimage´s ending, it feels to me like a partner, or at least a very good friend is passing away. It is an insane loss to me. This community, this awesome friendly and helpful community will vanish and be refracted in pieces. That won´t happen that fast, but it will happen.
Beside this loss, uncertainty about the job begins to gain ground. I have to decide which way to go in the next years...

to be continued...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2014, 10:18

I understand completely how you feel, although my road here has obviously completely different (as a hobbyist). Losing a good friend in the software and a warm community to boot are dreadful prospects. To me the enormity of this loss has not yet completely hit me as I'm still knee-deep in the work we're having here ATM. But when it hits (and I know it will), I surely will sit down and actually cry for a day or two...
=((
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 07 Mar 2014, 10:23

Hi Folks, a good idea this thread is. Wow ! the pain ! It really does feel like the death of a good mutual friend. Not only am I in pain and angst myself, but I feel really bad for all the other folk like yourselves who put so much in to Softimage and the community. People don't know until they try Softimage. That's really a classic where an executive decesion has horrible consequences. In a world that is falling apart and full of corruption, selfishness and greed, wouldn't it make a refreshing change to have someone make a real honorable decision, one made with compassion and consideration. huh, not in a million years I hear you think. Well if any ones listening ....... Please, please don't make us all suffer. Wouldn't it be great long term to win people back and have some real true appreciation. ............

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 07 Mar 2014, 11:03

"-Hi, I'm McNistor.
- Hello McNistor!"
[alcoholic/drug addict circle]

What I'm trying to say here (probably a failed way to be witty) is that I've looked into possibilities (not for long) and the way I'm healing is by joining a community which lacks the neat workflow Softimage has, trying to transfer as much of XSI's soul as I can. Not very different than an organ transplant - even though the loved one is dead or will soon be, at least you get some (minor) comfort that part of them still lives on and does good somewhere else.

Beside that, I'm working on stuff to stay focused and forget about everything. The news did upset me however I'm lucky enough to not fall into depression as some folks have. I told myself even before the official news that it's only a software and surprisingly, it has worked. Probably because I was not using ICE as intensely as others, I dunno. But still, the loss (that will happen at some point in time) of a great workflow is enough to make me angry.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 07 Mar 2014, 11:06

Yeah ICE is a big factor ! Plus the general ease of use, elegance of gui etc

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 07 Mar 2014, 12:15

It actually hit me hardest when I heard about the Autodesk aquisition, definitely had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that day. The recent news is more like final confirmation of what I felt was coming for a while, its almost a relief. I'm definitely in the same boat as you though, have some hard decisions to make about future direction where my heart is saying one thing and head another.

I am sad because I know we will gradually lose talented guys willing to offer help and assistance on the forums to the point where there's just not enough knowledge left to help people when they're stuck.

origin

Post by origin » 07 Mar 2014, 12:33

Keep your brain busy by learning new software, like Houdini Apprentice :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2014, 12:51

mattmos wrote:and assistance on the forums to the point where there's just not enough knowledge left to help people when they're stuck.
Slightly OT: I've talked to owei about this. Nothing's set in stone, but he/we weren't planning of killing off this community Autodesk-style. If the regulars (and not-so-regulars) keep on coming, not much has to change in that respect for now.

Sorry for the noise, back to the regular topic! ;)

ryanroye

Post by ryanroye » 07 Mar 2014, 13:45

If it makes any difference, many other 3d communities are talking about AD's treatment of SI as well;

Lightwave Forum Topic

C4D Forum Topic

Modo Forum Topic

CGTalk Forum Topic

Blendernation Topic

Know that this isn't just a "oh some other person's preferred software died, big whoop" thing from the average observer's perspective... this kind of stuff is deeply disturbing to industry professionals globally regardless of the software or programs they use. This is scary stuff happening from a company we all know has a stranglehold on the market. The end-result that I would like to see is that Autodesk managers realize that smashing the competition (and potentially peoples lives) is disastrous to their reputation and their overall success.

kat

Post by kat » 07 Mar 2014, 14:29

Agreed. And frankly I think Autodesk should be busted up and or investigated for anti-trust violations.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2014, 14:42

Agreed, but now let's get back to the emotions, not the politics! :-

ryanroye

Post by ryanroye » 07 Mar 2014, 15:47

Hirazi Blue wrote:Agreed, but now let's get back to the emotions, not the politics! :-
Agreed. The takeaway here that all SoftImage users should know is that people outside the box know what happened. The fact that its status is being reported in almost every major 3d community is a very encouraging thing.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 10 Mar 2014, 19:29

Well, I had a hard time fighting with that thought that AD just made me junior again...Thanks! Drawing is a good therapy ;)

Inspired by Michael Klein ;)

cheers,
oli

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 10 Mar 2014, 21:58

This is an interesting thread.

What really helped me fight the panic, anxiety and depression were xanax, and anti-depressants after the killing of Soft. I'm feeling more calm now, but if I'm off the drugs, I'll probably lose my mind and won't think straight.

Last week, 3 days went by without being productive, and I can't stand the idea of wasting a single day without getting results.