What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 13:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
61%
Blender
6%
Houdini
13%
Modo
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 96

angus_davidson

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Feb 2014, 17:53

luceric wrote:
As much as that warms the cockles of my heart I doubt very much that Maya having a mac version was the reason it was pushed to the front. AD was just following what they perceived as the big money.

Well the thread ws talking about Maya LT, as oposed the big Maya itself. The main users LT is going after are individuals or small shops that are developing mobile apps, mostly on the Mac. These people are known to already be using Maya, if not Modo or blender. So it's the way to legitimize these licenses, and from what I heard it appears to be working. Modo also made a Steam edition, in reaction to LT imho.

These last few weeks, btw, I've been interviewing interns and the vast majority of them are involved in some kind of Unity game project, and they using either Maya or Blender, whether they're learning that in the university or it's a side personal project. They're choosing one of these two apps. Of course, that's not a scientific sample.
Maya LT wasnt really on the radar 6 or so years ago which was the point I was trying to make. From a business point of view MayaLT (especially now that some of the restrictions have been reduced) is a very good offering. It a smart move to keep a similar codebase to Maya so you dont end up having massively different systems to plan roadmaps for.

MayaLT is really here to transition the big games companies off Softimage (in my own view). To me it make sense to have an architectural stream at some time as well. Then Max can finally fade away.

Our own Game design 3rd students are using Unity and there is currently a pretty even split between Blender, Modo and Softimage as to what they use at home for asset creation. One or two use Maya LT. Its actually a major bugbear for me that Maya LT isnt offered on the Autodesk ARC program as then I would be able to get the game design students to use it. I keep on harassing Frank about it ;) Its also an issue as we need to decide as to whether to stick with Softimage (which we use in our animation stream) or move to Maya LT / Blender when they hit 4th Year and do joint classes with animation class.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Feb 2014, 18:06

Cacoman wrote:We all think that ADSK owes us truth and certainty about Softimage.

But unfortunatley that is not going to happen as no employee will break his NDA, specially in this forum.

I've hear those rumors too from strong sources. After last few years hearing ADSK is going to kill Softimage and this latest "strong" rumors. I have already made up my mind.

Make sure that without Softimage, Autodesk is not going to see my money anymore. All my money will be destinated to the developers that will continue to support Softimage with new improvements.
The sad truth is that Softimage is out the box the best package out there and as such will usable for many years after its EOL. I personally think a Softimage subscription is not money well spent , if you compare value for money to a Maya sub. That sub money would be much better spent on supporting the plugin developers. That been said even the plugin devs will need to diversify to make sure they keep revenue streams when people do start to move away.

Then again its not confirmed as yet, so possibly all conjecture.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 18:10

angus_davidson wrote:Just to back Graham up here I did get announcements on twitter and facebook. The problem is if your following the wrong autodesk one (and there are many) you may not see it
I follow https://www.facebook.com/AutodeskSoftimage which is the official Softimage channel on Facebook. Me thinks it's the most important place to post good stuff.

Anyway, in light of recent rumors that doesn't seen to important now, d*mn. And I was ready to transfer what I was learning in two workshops (character modeling in Max and FX in Maya) to Softimage ... March will be a sad month if this comes through.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 26 Feb 2014, 18:11

Cacoman wrote:Paul where is the link to tip your Fuzz?

I haven't download it yet. But I will at this precisley moment.

@rray.

Thx a lot!
There's a Tip jar here

https://vimeo.com/80382153

thanks very much indeed.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 18:14

angus_davidson wrote:The sad truth is that Softimage is out the box the best package out there and as such will usable for many years after its EOL. I personally think a Softimage subscription is not money well spent , if you compare value for money to a Maya sub. That sub money would be much better spent on supporting the plugin developers. That been said even the plugin devs will need to diversify to make sure they keep revenue streams when people do start to move away.

Then again its not confirmed as yet, so possibly all conjecture.
Makes sense since Mootz started to diverse his product line. I know Softimage will be great and usable for at least more 5 years. If you get the quality of work done recently, it's work that will sustain after 5 years as impressive. And ICE lets will develop custom tools with ease to improve on things with trouble.

Problem is more about certain bugs and stuff in a pipeline. If that's true, just hope the Max guys see the path and dump AD altogether. Than it would hit them badly.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 18:18

Pooby wrote:
Cacoman wrote:Paul where is the link to tip your Fuzz?

I haven't download it yet. But I will at this precisley moment.

@rray.

Thx a lot!
There's a Tip jar here

https://vimeo.com/80382153

thanks very much indeed.
You are the reason I was returning to use Softimage, lol. Your videos, tutorials and R&D are so amazing ... Damn.

missingkey

Post by missingkey » 26 Feb 2014, 18:30

Hopefully soon, the software used becomes more and more transparent. With things like "fabric creation splice engine platform" ;) that should have autodesk suits biting there nails.

sometimes I think people treat their 3D software of choice, as if they can only choose and use one. When the reality is, being able to bounce around from dcc to dcc will only benefit you. It's not quitting smoking, You can still use your previous pack while picking up another one. I've been paid to use maya, softimage, c4d, houdini, not to mention all the supplemental software. I very, very ,very much dislike c4d. I love houdini and SI, and I use maya - cause well, if you wanna get hired... But I've been paid substantially more $$$ using c4d than any other dcc. go figure. So you suck it up, and use what the studio uses or has available to you. To think your silly workflow issues, have any impact on what dcc the studio uses or chooses is ignorant. I guess unless your the decision maker.

It gets old hearing people around you complain about the software. get over it.

(not directed at anyone)

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 18:44

missingkey wrote:Hopefully soon, the software used becomes more and more transparent. With things like "fabric creation splice engine platform" ;) that should have autodesk suits biting there nails.

sometimes I think people treat their 3D software of choice, as if they can only choose and use one. When the reality is, being able to bounce around from dcc to dcc will only benefit you. It's not quitting smoking, You can still use your previous pack while picking up another one. I've been paid to use maya, softimage, c4d, houdini, not to mention all the supplemental software. I very, very ,very much dislike c4d. I love houdini and SI, and I use maya - cause well, if you wanna get hired... But I've been paid substantially more $$$ using c4d than any other dcc. go figure. So you suck it up, and use what the studio uses or has available to you. To think your silly workflow issues, have any impact on what dcc the studio uses or chooses is ignorant. I guess unless your the decision maker.

It gets old hearing people around you complain about the software. get over it.

(not directed at anyone)
I know archviz pays well, but I don't like that sh*t, so I won't do it. Everybody have choices. You choose to do anything (sort of), I don't. And that's all ok. But you are speaking of working for others here ... and if you were to open your own studio? Would you buy C4D (which you hate) or would you prefer to buy Softimage (if it was still alive) or Houdini?

When you work for others, you use what others use ... if you work for yourself, you use what you like and what you are more productive.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 26 Feb 2014, 18:49

MauricioPC wrote: if you work for yourself, you use what you like and what you are more productive.
Indeed.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 19:59

In light of this 'news', let's share some amazing work done with Softimage. Vitaly Bulgarov as always ... amazing!

http://www.bulgarov.com/robocop_index.html
Last edited by MauricioPC on 26 Feb 2014, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 26 Feb 2014, 20:03

Amazing. Any pics using Softimage?
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 20:41

Cacoman wrote:Amazing. Any pics using Softimage?

I didn't find ... but all his training are in Softimage and I never seen him using a different software.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 26 Feb 2014, 22:01

missingkey wrote:I very, very ,very much dislike c4d. I love houdini and SI, and I use maya - cause well, if you wanna get hired... But I've been paid substantially more $$$ using c4d than any other dcc.
Using a piece of software whose workflow I despise is something I might put up with for one or two weeks. But not for months or years.
Example: if I had to look for a new job, I would not apply at places where I'd be required to use 3ds max because I'd be tearing my hair out after a week.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 26 Feb 2014, 22:25

I really hope the rumour isn't true... But if it is I hope Ad will sell it to another company, surely Ad must have had offers to buy it from them.

Morgan Nilsson

Post by Morgan Nilsson » 26 Feb 2014, 22:33

I've been on the lookout for Softimage and recently found this forum.

Now, seeing this is the most popular thread, kind of makes me steer away to even try to get into Softimage. I tried pretty much all other packages out there, as of right now my ambitions is pretty much just a hobbyist playing around, with the hopes to eventually study or get to work in the 3d field.

I figured I would just choose one of the many packages and go with it... Now more than 6 months have passed and I am still in disarray, I find myself using one for a few weeks, then move on to the other, the reason is... The monopoly seen by Autodesk and them stretching their development over 3 different packages in the same field and the general feel that their 2 main packages are horribly bloated with bought and so-so integrated plugins. Bothers me greatly, even if it SHOULDN'T matter at this point.

Softimage is the only one, that doesn't seem to be bloated, and has a consistent UI, which I like. But the future for it is dark, apparently...

I gave Houdini a shot quite a few times, but the modeling in it doesn't feel right to me.

Best regards
//Morgan

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 26 Feb 2014, 22:39

Manticor wrote:I really hope the rumour isn't true... But if it is I hope Ad will sell it to another company, surely Ad must have had offers to buy it from them.
That won't happen. I think we just have to accept that Xsi's development is complete and final.
I found this hard to accept until I asked myself what I'm doing in vanilla xsi now that I couldn't have done three or 4 versions ago, and it's not a lot to be honest.
All the new capabilities I have are to do with ICE, and 3rd party tools (including my own) and there uave been massive developments when you factor that in, and continuing development will be the case for the foreseeable future.