Who is thinking of stopping there Autodesk subscriptions

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
t4d

Who is thinking of stopping there Autodesk subscriptions

Post by t4d » 21 Mar 2013, 05:11

Who is thinking of stopping there Autodesk subscriptions due to the low value in past years and coming updates ?

we have 7 seats all paid until 2014 but as manager here I have decided that this will be the last for us.
I love Softimage :-bd but I'll wait and buy 2017 ( or whatever ) when there is something worth upgrading to.

anyone else ?
Last edited by t4d on 21 Mar 2013, 05:51, edited 2 times in total.

Maximus

Re: Who is thinking of stopping there Autodesk subscriptions

Post by Maximus » 21 Mar 2013, 05:47

I didnt renew my sub this year, not worth it.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Mar 2013, 08:13

Or perhaps the 2016, when in 2015, after the sudden 2014 drop, they realised that SI sales, depite being comparatively small, was still a considerable chunck of previously reliable revenue for little investment,
and decided to revamp the interface and improve viewport performance with tons of objects. :D

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 21 Mar 2013, 08:41

I'm paid up until November, so I'll see what Softimage 2014 brings to the table. If it is as poor a release as we think it will be, then that's the last penny Autodesk will be seeing from my company!

For the cost of one years subscription I could bring my old Lightwave 9 licenses up to date.

Rork

Post by Rork » 21 Mar 2013, 09:50

I said this in another thread as well, but what do you think will happen if we all stop paying subscription?
The self fulfilling prophecy of SI going under will happen.

Softimage is still a viable source of income for AD, so there's no need to kill it.
II understand people would have expected more from this release, but last year for SI2013 people stated they would be happy with some smaller new features and a lot of bug fixes.
You got what you wished for ;)

So, again, stop with the 'doom and gloom' discussions, it's getting tiresome and not helping anybody...
We've got another new release, go use it and do great stuff. That's the best way to promote SI. ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

t4d

Post by t4d » 21 Mar 2013, 10:18

Rork wrote:So, again, stop with the 'doom and gloom' discussions, it's getting tiresome and not helping anybody...
We've got another new release, go use it and do great stuff. That's the best way to promote SI. ;)
"doom and gloom" get real dude,. we're currently being ripped off by a multinational corporation forcing users into yearly subscriptions and NOT delivering VALUE for money.

helping no one ? do you think the 2013 and 2014 updates have been good Value ?
you want to keep paying for these types of updates ?
what is your big idea to help the issue.. silence as you give them more of your money ? Great strategy dude..

My logic is I can keep using 2014 for 3 or 4 years without a problem in that time open the door to modo or Houdini etc and get far more Value for money each year,, and then in 2017 ( or what ever ) I can buy NEW softimage licenses and get a update worth paying for, AND have training and more working option in my pipeline.

Again please enlighten us on your way to get a better 2014 or 2015 update that is worth the money you pay for it,?
it's hard for me NOT to see more value in just leaving the current version and adding another 3D tool to my pipeline.

If you think if you don't pay Autodesk. Softimage will die then let it DIE !

Softimage is the BEST 3D application BUT if Autodesk developers can NOT find the resources or motivation to improve it OR try but Fail to force me to use Max or Maya what do you do ??? there no way I'm going to Max or maya since i come from there and Max and Maya users feel the same way about there last few Autodesk updates.

which makes this NOT a softimage issue it's a Autodesk issue. !!

How do you get a message to a multinational corporation that thinks they own 90% of the 3D software market ? ..

the only way I can think of is by clearly showing Profits going down then there ears will open.

Rork

Post by Rork » 21 Mar 2013, 10:26

Relax 'dude'... you're about to pop a vain......

Everybody's entitled to a opinion. I for one am gettin tired of all these threads. MY opinion.
Sorry to get you upset, I will not follow up on this one.

cheers for the attack.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 21 Mar 2013, 13:09

I said no this year until I see something. If it's great, I'll pay the late penalty and renew. If not, I'll spend my money with the third party developers that deserve it.

t4d

Post by t4d » 21 Mar 2013, 14:29

Rork wrote:Relax 'dude'... you're about to pop a vain......
Sorry man :ymblushing: I was not aiming to upset you, Don't take it personally, maybe worded things abit too straight :ympeace:

All cool, you right you have every right to voice your opinion :-bd

I want so much more from Softimage even with the last 3 updates being so lame.. Softimage is still the best out there I've tried them all, And i just think AD will never listen to customers, reseller feedback or even lower management feedback,. the only way is if the financial department feels something, it's just the way the corporate world works,

IMO sitting back and just hoping things get better is how things just get worst.

currently your far better off buying Vray and Arnold ( or adding another 3D tool ) then giving money to AD for the next update. IMO that's wrong..

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Mar 2013, 17:13

I understand where many people are coming from and haven't been extremely impressed with some of the latest releases. However, they continue to fix bugs and add little things here and there that make my life easier so I do think there is still value in each new release. Many argue that we shouldn't have to pay for bug fixes, but in my opinion, you have to pay for that stuff to get fixed because someone is sitting there each day fixing them. Those devs need to get paid.

Regardless, this next release is one that is done entirely by the new team (I believe). While they were transitioned into their positions over a few years it is still a massive undertaking to ship a release with a new team. I've been very impressed with the involvement and out reach by the new team. While they aren't terribly involved in this forum they are in other important areas. Whenever I've had to submit a crash report through the newer CER system, someone from the dev / support team has contacted me asking for any additional info to repro. I've had a few that they were able to and they logged the bugs and sent to development. Also on the Softimage mailing list Chris Chia and other devs (maybe support guys?) have been in touch with people when they post about bugs and crashes.

In addition, I've heard from a reliable source that the threads on the "little things that annoy you" are not ignored and the dev teams are aware of them and looking to address the issues. Keep posting to them.

Lastly, while I am always looking for new amazing features and tools in the new releases, I can get my job done using the new releases regardless if I have shiny new features or not. Many bug fixes and little enhancements make it a smoother workflow (see the addition of commands to remove ICE attributes, small but extremely useful). I can still get things done faster and easier than using the other software out there so I am happy with what I have.

Everyone is privileged to do what they want with their money and always has been. If you find that you want support and the new bug fixes and enhancements, then pay your subscription. If not, don't. I'm sticking with them as long as they are still around and development is still active.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Rork

Post by Rork » 21 Mar 2013, 17:32

Thanks Eric,

My thoughts exactly.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 21 Mar 2013, 18:54

Regardless of who thinks what should be done or not done, and what they like in a release or not - Max and ActionArt both stated that they stopped their subs and t4d says he is looking to cancel 7 seats. That is physical proof right there and is the bottomline, which is what AD will see and have to adjust accordingly. I, myself, barely resubscribed last year and I wanted to give the new team a shot. My Sub runs until Oct-Nov so I will see it through until the next SAP comes out, unless that gets canceled again...

I can see both sides to what people are saying, but I think it also matters if people physically pay for their Subs or have a company do it for them, as I think that makes a difference in people's opinion too.
Last edited by Rez007 on 21 Mar 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Mar 2013, 19:00

Obviously where ever I'm employed buys their licenses and subscription, however I have my own personal one as well to do freelance work and develop my 3rd party tools.
Eric Thivierge

jamination

Post by jamination » 21 Mar 2013, 19:24

new team adjustments are NOT the user's problem, that's is autodesk's cross to bear... anyway, no, I am not updating my subscription for the 1st time since getting on this train in 3.5. shiny new features aside, lots of features are becoming archiac and need to be addressed.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Mar 2013, 19:33

jamination wrote:new team adjustments are NOT the user's problem
No, but as a human being you should probably give them some slack. When having a new employee at your company you'd give them some slack no? Also have you ever developed software?
Eric Thivierge

jamination

Post by jamination » 21 Mar 2013, 19:59

EricTRocks wrote:
jamination wrote:new team adjustments are NOT the user's problem
No, but as a human being you should probably give them some slack. When having a new employee at your company you'd give them some slack no? Also have you ever developed software?
first, my beef has NOTHING to do with the team but the company behind the team. Second, if I told a client the reason the animation piece I sold them was 1/2 as long as expected and not the quality they expected, was that I replaced all my animators with new animators, I doubt they would they give me the least bit of sympathy, as a matter of fact, they would probably be insulted I gave them an excuse at all. And they would most likely take their business elsewhere next time, unless of course it was my mom buying the animation.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions