AD subscription

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
xsisupport

Re: AD subscription

Post by xsisupport » 26 Apr 2013, 12:39

Acrobat wrote:The topic is very long, so I don't know if was just discussed, but if I buying softimage, can deciding to resell to others? I think is a logical idea but want ask because one of the main point about modo license flexibility is the possibility to reselling the software (Luxology demand a fee of 100$ for license transfer)
No
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 26 Apr 2013, 13:36

Acrobat wrote:The topic is very long, so I don't know if was just discussed, but if I buying softimage, can deciding to resell to others? I think is a logical idea but want ask because one of the main point about modo license flexibility is the possibility to reselling the software (Luxology demand a fee of 100$ for license transfer)
If you buy it, and AD will eventually fix all critical bugs and you really learn how to use it, you will not want to sell it to someone else. Apart from the bugs, the only flaw of this software is, that it is an Autodesk product.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Acrobat

Post by Acrobat » 26 Apr 2013, 15:42

Thanks for your answer. But seems illogical...
If I buy a software (game or what else) can resell it without problems. I paid so it is mine, why cannot sell it? Is mine or not?

Lord Futzi, I don't say softimage is not a good software, but a man can cage idea in his life... and if a day I'll want stop my activity?

origin

Post by origin » 26 Apr 2013, 15:59

you can resell origin/steam games without a problem?

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 26 Apr 2013, 16:05

Acrobat wrote:Thanks for your answer. But seems illogical...
If I buy a software (game or what else) can resell it without problems. I paid so it is mine, why cannot sell it? Is mine or not?
In fact it's not yours. You buy a license to use it and that license is not transferable.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Apr 2013, 17:14

If the car industry was so cretinesque like rent seeking software industry would have already committed suicide.
Which is what software industry is doing now.
Last edited by Bullit on 26 Apr 2013, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Apr 2013, 17:46

Software ownership, the proverbial can of worms: let's not open it... x_x
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Acrobat

Post by Acrobat » 26 Apr 2013, 22:40

I'm sorry, but this don't seems correct to me...

Ok for steam (I'm not a videogamer, so don't know how it work), but if I buy a DVD for xbox/psx/nintendo, this DVD is mine and only mine, have restriction, cannot duplicate for selling it and the code is under copyright, but these single copy is mine, and if I want I can resell it.

Now, if I have a society and after time I and my partner deciding to dividing our society? Who own the software? if the software are headed to the company and that company does not exist anymore? The license is lost?

This appear a bit weird to me...

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 26 Apr 2013, 23:33

Acrobat wrote:I'm sorry, but this don't seems correct to me...

Ok for steam (I'm not a videogamer, so don't know how it work), but if I buy a DVD for xbox/psx/nintendo, this DVD is mine and only mine, have restriction, cannot duplicate for selling it and the code is under copyright, but these single copy is mine, and if I want I can resell it.

Now, if I have a society and after time I and my partner deciding to dividing our society? Who own the software? if the software are headed to the company and that company does not exist anymore? The license is lost?

This appear a bit weird to me...
Company breakups might be one of the few cases where there is a possibility to transfer licenses.
Top Questions About Transferring Ownership of Autodesk Licenses (TOL)
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage