General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Tekano

Re: Looks like Autodesk bought Naiad

Post by Tekano » 14 Aug 2012, 23:53

steady!
Attachments
ONEDOESNOTSIMPLY.JPG
ONEDOESNOTSIMPLY.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Aug 2012, 00:23

What's a bit sad about it is that DCC is a segment that desperately needs innovations, condsidering the stone age ergonomics that some workflows have.
I actually have some hopes for Softimage precisely because they are in Singapure. Asian culture at large is much more results driven instead of over theoretical, over engineered, and red tape mess in USA/Canada/Europe.
This affects(it is a chicken/egg problem actually) the way people think.

Miarmy for Maya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjo7B_U8Zxc&hd=1

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 15 Aug 2012, 02:46

Not meaning to mock the devs (well maybe the Max ones)! Just wishful thinking. More like mocking the bean counting suites at AD if anything, I'm sure they'll find a way to waste Naiad.
What's a bit sad about it is that DCC is a segment that desperately needs innovations, condsidering the stone age ergonomics that some workflows have.
I don't think DCC has the worst ergonomics, actually quite the opposite. In fact I think it's far ahead of most industries (sadly). I have the unfortunate privilege of working in other areas such as editing, print layout, web development, some e-learning etc. and they are WAY worse. Editing is in the stone age, print layout could be mistaken for scratching rocks on cave walls and e-learning, well that could be thought to be made by Fisher-Price. I won't even start on web development except to say it's COMPLETELY retarded.

Count yourself lucky you're in DCC!

t4d

Post by t4d » 15 Aug 2012, 06:27

luceric wrote:
bottleofram wrote: So Skyline is no more?
Bellsey wrote:Skyline has only been ever presented as an R&D project (though apparently Autodesk don't do any R&D, lol ;) ) which is continually evolving. Whether it will appear in the future as an actual product, is still under development.
I know how Skyline was presented, but that bit about how "studio clients would never have it" got me intrigued.
What? No. what I meant is that if we had built a whole new character system on ICE in Softimage, the studios would probably not have used it because it would only work in Softimage and that's not where the industry is going.

Skyline tech makes more sense, because the character system is designed as a stand alone run-time not tied to an application's architecture. Just like HumanIK. It runs in game engine and elsewhere. It's definitely still in development.

I hope that's clearer..

Apparently I wrote "have it" instead of "have used it", but that phrase is not about skyline
no what i get from luceric post is

all these system are going to converge very soon,. how close in Unreal/Cry engine to being used as a standard TV 3d animation production tool ?
UNlimited CPU power with knight's corner cpu.. all this tech will break though in 5 years time but will it run in Max or softimage how they are today ?..maybe

if the next level character system is being worked on ( i think AD is not the only one ) it would be best to think of the industry in 5 years time instead of today.
why work on the be all end all Character system and have it NOT work in game engines ?

NO Fan of Autodesk but features wise things work pretty well it's alot harder to complain about needing features for my everyday 3D work the next level well is the next level.

I thanks guys for the head up on CAT in MAX i played but did not test in production ,. for me is was a case of green must be greener over there ,. THanks for the info \m/

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 15 Aug 2012, 17:23

ActionArt wrote:(well maybe the Max ones)!
Does Max have devs?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 03 Sep 2012, 17:09

Just wanted to clarify some stuff around Phil and CAT. CAT was acquired in 2006 I think, and Phil pretty much stopped working on it at that point - Avid acquired CAT in order to get Phil on the XSI team, not to keep working on a plugin for Max. When AD acquired Softimage they decided to put CAT inside Max, but Phil was not involved in working on that. He left Autodesk almost immediately after the acquisition. Obviously he then went on to found Fabric with me in 2010 :)

Cheers,

Paul