Looks like Autodesk bought Naiad

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Fer

Looks like Autodesk bought Naiad

Post by Fer » 10 Aug 2012, 03:29

There's a rumor on this Siggraph days, that Autodesk have acquired Naiad, I didn't want to post this news earlier because I wasn't sure. But a lot people talking about it on tweeter...

So Bellsey, True or Not ?

bottleofram

Re: Looks like Autodesk bought Naiad

Post by bottleofram » 10 Aug 2012, 04:14

Fer, no offense but since when does having no quotes and no sources, just a sporadic rumor, qualify as news? Its not a problem, its just that i would expect a bit more credibility before i declare it looks like something.

|And why would you think Bellsey knows anything about it?

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 10 Aug 2012, 04:50

cool, I want that solver in ICE... thanks :)

(youll only get desert if you buy suites :D )
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Fer

Post by Fer » 10 Aug 2012, 05:19

bottleofram wrote:Fer, no offense but since when does having no quotes and no sources, just a sporadic rumor, qualify as news? Its not a problem, its just that i would expect a bit more credibility before i declare it looks like something.

I'm merely trying to confirm a rumor that is making a lot of noise lately on the Siggraph booth.

Bellsey probably knows it, since he work at Autodesk he can easily confirm it.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Aug 2012, 06:48

bottleofram wrote:Fer, no offense but since when does having no quotes and no sources, just a sporadic rumor, qualify as news? Its not a problem, its just that i would expect a bit more credibility before i declare it looks like something.

He did state it was a rumor so I wouldn't really say its not news worthy. Its been buzzing around from many respected industry folks so again, it wouldn't be without any sources. Though none direct. After all, when AD was acquiring Softimage it was the same sort of thing and no one worried much about it.

Secondly, Bellsey may know because he works at AD. Not sure he'd be able to say anything but a little prodding for info never hurt.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Aug 2012, 09:52

Well, not wanting to be a killjoy, the only hit this rumor so far generates on Google seems to be exactly this thread. It might be something that's "in the works", but the statement that Autodesk did already buy Naiad seems to be false, as the nature of Autodesk as a public multinational company does necessitate them to publicize each and every acquisition. And that would show up in their press releases.
As to Bellsey knowing about it and being able to comment, I sincerely doubt it. If it's still "in the works" commenting on it would amount to something like a "cardinal sin" and while Bellsey probably knows more about a lot of things he already isn't allowed to share, we mustn't assume he's privy to information about Autodesk's acquisition policy.
Okay, that said, would it be a good thing, if it were true? For Softimage users, I doubt it. For the wonderful world of CG? I doubt it also, as it would mean the end of yet another company doing something special. For the owners of Exotic Matter? For them it probably means some extra cash...
$-)
I've moved this from "News" to "Open Discussion", but am more than willing to move it back, as soon as it gets a little more substantial...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 10 Aug 2012, 10:48

The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 10 Aug 2012, 11:48

Ha no They will look at Naiad and they will look at Sparta - Autodesk M & E are already following the chap on twitter - and they will not understand the differences and conclude that as Sparta will be cheaper and more colorful interface to purchase, its this what the users want!
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 Aug 2012, 10:32

This gonna probably end up like Turtle, buried somewhere. Oh wait.. they will include Naiad in the Ultimate Premium Goldpack Titanium Entertainment Hollywood Suite for 15k$.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Aug 2012, 11:10

Okay, I think we can upgrade this from vague rumor to the status of slightly less vague one. :D
Not because there is a thread on CGTalk about it, mind, nor the buzz on twitter,
but because of one - obviously also still unsubstantiated but somehow plausible - claim in the CGTalk thread by luispages:
This news came in an email directed to all current Exotic Matter customers. I'm sure there will be a public announcement soon.
The claim in the OP by Nick2970 seems quite drastic:
It has just been announced that there will be one final release of Naiad before all Exotic Matter license agreements will be terminated as the technology has been sold to Autodesk.
(my highlight - both quotes from here)

Weird how Exotic Matter seems to jump the gun here, while Autodesk is legally bound to publicize even its intention to acquire new companies AFAIK.

But: it's still a rumor... (albeit one that's getting harder to ignore) :-?

origin

Post by origin » 11 Aug 2012, 11:45

AD is a corporation, and It needs to grow like fungus, buy one company after another, or it will die. At least thats what comic book Largo Winch says :D .

On other side thats great opportunity for small developers, make small popular free tool, sell it to autodesk and live on money rest of your life.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 11 Aug 2012, 12:03

Maximus wrote:they will include Naiad in the Ultimate Premium Goldpack Titanium Entertainment Hollywood Suite for 15k$.
What you describe sounds like it could make me a millionair in which case i'd be stupid to miss on that deal!

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Aug 2012, 13:49

Hirazi Blue wrote:Autodesk is legally bound to publicize even its intention to acquire new companies AFAIK.
they are not, it depends on the size of the investment. Autodesk has made small purchase that were never announced. And when they do announce, it doesn't have to be on the day, and sometime the amount of the transaction is not public if its not big enough to affect the numbers.
Last edited by luceric on 11 Aug 2012, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Aug 2012, 13:53

Ah, thanks for the clarification...

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 11 Aug 2012, 14:17

this is one thing I don't get. User base count is valued more than intellectual property. Like the insanely high property prices this is one thing that is long overdue a market crash and I'm hoping its sooner rather than later. Facebook = Autodesk ,fingers crossed they are first to get heavy damage when the bubble bursts and value is attributed back to where it belongs , Pah!

Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 11 Aug 2012, 22:35

Facebook is not Autodesk. Autodesk does things.
Besides Autodesk has business all over the world, that is why they have good growth while Europe and USA are full of problems.

What you think will happen when/if the market crash?
The nice rings in the fingers go. Probably Softimage dies. The whole industry will suffer.

The fact that Autodesk buys a lot of stuff is in part good because makes it an incentive for creatives that can't be bothered to run a business.

What people should be really upset is the last part. The lack of business ability or will to run of so many people. And this is not only related to this area.