Broadcast: Autodesk calls for VFX standard

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Broadcast: Autodesk calls for VFX standard

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 May 2011, 15:43

This little article, Stephen Blair mentioned on his blog, might be worth reading or even discussing:
Autodesk calls for VFX standard, not just for the call for a VFX standard, but also because
Petit said cloud-based products would help to address issues surrounding online collaboration and workflow management, and add value to products in the face of “aggressive” reductions in price.

He added that Autodesk has made a “massive investment in research and development in the cloud and related products could be released later this year.
(PS - If someone finds the full-text of Marc Petits keynote speech at the FMX2011, please let me (us) know...)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Maximus

Re: Broadcast: Autodesk calls for VFX standard

Post by Maximus » 07 May 2011, 01:36

as soon as they keep the non "cloud-based" system running like usual, its fine.
Not everyone uses machines connected to internet when working, if i understood exactly what cloud-computing systems are.

I think I remember time ago reading some test AD did with Maya in cloud computing mode, you would use Maya in remote from AD server, but of course for that you would need to be connected to internet.

Bellsey

Re: Broadcast: Autodesk calls for VFX standard

Post by Bellsey » 07 May 2011, 01:43

What you are referring to is Project Twitch and is still live on Autodesk Labs.
It's a trial to test the idea of delivering applications over the web. AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and Maya are the apps that you can currently try.