So MaxUnderground.com is no more ...

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
MauricioPC

So MaxUnderground.com is no more ...

Post by MauricioPC » 01 Aug 2014, 15:48

http://www.maxunderground.com

Don't know about all of you, but I guess there was ex-Max users here. And the nice thing about that was that it could gather all the top Max artists, plugin developers, PM of the software to talk about 3ds Max.

Hell, last year that gigantic thread about the future of 3ds Max created such attention because it happened on the principal 3ds Max site. And that made lots of wheels at Autodesk to turn attention to 3ds Max, we've seen changes, new hires, etc. And now ... from one day to the other, it's just gone. But hey, now they have a Modo section!

I don't get Modo. It's cool and such, but it's still half of what 3ds Max or Softimage are able to do, but it has that cool appeal that the youngsters love so much ... kind of like iPhone. :)]

Oh well ... hope si-community never goes away and never change the name.

Bullit

Re: So MaxUnderground.com is no more ...

Post by Bullit » 01 Aug 2014, 17:00

That is a big shock. Seems the hardcore there realised they can't trust Autodesk , maybe they even have a tip from someone that works there about the future. And it is no future.

The site in itself is not an improvement , all flashy bang big.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Aug 2014, 21:50

MauricioPC wrote:http://www.maxunderground.com

Don't know about all of you, but I guess there was ex-Max users here. And the nice thing about that was that it could gather all the top Max artists, plugin developers, PM of the software to talk about 3ds Max.

Hell, last year that gigantic thread about the future of 3ds Max created such attention because it happened on the principal 3ds Max site.
Yeah, but in my mind at least, Max always been already localized thing, since times of 3d Studio for DOS. First info I've gathered about Max 1.0, it was from local computer magazine, long article, about twenty pages, written by local guy. Never wanted to satisfy my "spiritual needs" about Max, using the global, internet forum. Already there were live humans for that.
On another side, Max is widely accepted thing, like coca cola, public transport, cellphones or 'international English language' - where complexity, refinements or ambition.. they are not good idea, because masses don't like this. Some goes to c4d. If I remember, my motivation for learning XSI belongs to old XSI base, all that posts, showing so much more dedicated approach, than anything related to Max.
After all, because is widely accepted, why I should fight for Max's cause. It's majority, should be able alone to take care for self.
Heavy dependance on all that "great" plugins, that's main problem. Asking for 1K plugin for every next project, that's best way to show as incompetent in the eye of boss. While for Maya, there are tons of small, affordable goodies, allowing the built-in engines to be so-so user friendly.
By the way, today, Modo has a good number of features, not existent in Max, like very decent renderer, volume rendering, much stronger particle system. All that for affordable price..

And.... in times of all that social networks, it seems there's hard time for old school forums.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Aug 2014, 02:56

I agree that the need for all that plugin is very expensive and show how Max is dated, but with all those plugins (at least VRay, FumeFX, Krakatoa, TP, Frost), I find Max to be as much powerful as Houdini even. And for the freelancer guy, you do spend more, but you accomplish things a lot faster than with other programs (Softimage aside, of course).

And, IMO, I don't think Modo particle systems come even close to what you can accomplish in PFlow with Box2 and 3.

In any case, what I found sad was that they simply ditched the MaxUnderground name, alive for more than 10 years and the most recognizable one, from one day to the other without proper warning.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Aug 2014, 11:30

Wow, now there’s a rebranding that went horribly wrong IMHO. And the rationale for this move escapes me somewhat. They were – if I am not mistaken – the biggest independent 3ds Max community, so why dilute this with a more general approach to CG News like that, especially while "your" software Is still thriving. The si-community is in quite a different boat here, as we might need to generalize (more) to keep afloat, but I never had the impression this to be the case with MU. Could easily be mistaken though, I must admit. Might even have something to do with sponsoring, although I doubt that.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Aug 2014, 15:24

I find they really made a bad decision here. Like some people on the welcome post said, if the site was with money difficulties, I'm sure a lot of people would donate to help maintain it.

You just have to read what Bobo (from Thinkbox) wrote to see how this is seen by Max users. What gets to me is that Modo section. Where is Modo? Damn, C4D (IMO) is far superior than Modo for now. So the'll destroy a name of 14+ years to open to more news and the first thing they do is create a Modo section? Come on! Even C4D has more users ... This feels like some bullsh*t articles that FXGuide now and again publishes about the "industry" and then they inject a lot of Modo talk in the middle.

This could be a new discussion, but I don't like The Foundry marketing. Yesterday I saw a video from them about the pipeline at Tippet Studio. They can make the finishing and comp in Nuke, but they talk more about Modo in the video and you see destruction, strong character animation, muscles ... and Modo talk. A more beginner person could get the idea that Modo was used in all that and not only in the modeling of the Cosmos ship. Kind of deceiving.

Anyway ... now XSI-Base is gone, MU is gone ... the only other forum I generally read stuff is here. CGSociety is a pita.
Bobo (Aug 8, 2014 10:07 pm) Reply
Speaking only for myself here, I had one of the biggest “WTF!?” moments of my nearly 20 years of internet life. Like many of you, I reloaded several times and my first assumption was that someone (CG Persia? – see how close “CGP” is to the name of the worst software pirate place out there) hijacked the site and redirected me somewhere else. I was in panic.

After the panic came the realization I have to search through the articles to figure out what this place is. That’s how I got here.
A gently explanation in the title would have been nice…

I am sad. I feel cheated.

Of course, I will continue posting whenever a relevant thread comes up involving Thinkbox products. But it won’t be the same.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 02 Aug 2014, 15:44

MauricioPC wrote: Anyway ... now XSI-Base is gone, MU is gone ... the only other forum I generally read stuff is here. CGSociety is a pita.
Don't forget CGHub :)

I remember last time when I opened CGHub when it was about to close it was full of post-apocalyptic environments and boobs, so I was not that dissapointed, but there were jems which I haven't seen on any other galleries... Has anyone knows where concept/3D artists post their work now?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Aug 2014, 15:56

iamVFX wrote:
MauricioPC wrote: Anyway ... now XSI-Base is gone, MU is gone ... the only other forum I generally read stuff is here. CGSociety is a pita.
Don't forget CGHub :)

I remember last time when I opened CGHub when it was about to close it was full of post-apocalyptic environments and boobs, so I was not that dissapointed, but there were jems which I haven't seen on any other galleries... Has anyone knows where concept/3D artists post their work now?

Forgot about CGHub! As for the sites ... these ones are good.

http://www.artstation.com/

http://drawcrowd.com/

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 02 Aug 2014, 18:02

MauricioPC wrote: Forgot about CGHub! As for the sites ... these ones are good.

http://www.artstation.com/

http://drawcrowd.com/
Thank you!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 04 Aug 2014, 18:55

Is this the future of Si-Community? I hope not. :ymsick:

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Aug 2014, 19:05

SamHowell wrote:Is this the future of Si-Community? I hope not. :ymsick:
The future of the si-community isn't set in stone yet AFAIK. In the end this is Owei's decision alone.
But it's a decision the user base can influence by proving the community still is worth maintaining.
:-s
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Aug 2014, 19:13

No!

The si-community name will live forever!!