Shadow Problems

Discussions about FX-Tree and Compositing generally
mtea

Re: Shadow Problems

Post by mtea » 22 Jun 2009, 11:00

ok i made a small video tut for showing how to compose shadow in the fxtree...i show both solution:

math composite for the fast way
color correction node for the more realistic way...

http://rapidshare.com/files/247285569/shadow.avi

feel free and have fun...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Jun 2009, 11:03

oh mr. blue...it is near to 260 pages:) ok with a lot of pictures...
Yeah, that's about 230 pages more than I would be willing to tackle!!! =))

You posted your video while I was writing this post, so I can't comment on it yet!!! ;)

And "mr. blue" is not the proper way to adress me... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mtea

Post by mtea » 22 Jun 2009, 11:30

Hirazi Blue wrote: And "mr. blue" is not the proper way to adress me... :D
ok i will put it in my head:)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Jun 2009, 11:55

mtea wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote: ok i will put it in my head:)
I sincerely hope you understood I was merely joking... :-s

But seriously: nice video... @-)
Why don't you post on on Vimeo (or Youtube) to embed it here? ;)

One question remains, however. I can see you can do a lot more to your shadow using your technique, but if you wanted to recreate the exact umbra you defined for your shadow-casting light, wouldn't that be much harder your way??? :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mtea

Post by mtea » 22 Jun 2009, 12:03

it is also possible with the correct umbra...than you only have to use the area shadow to create the right shadow(in the video it is hardshadow)...

if you have pass with area shadow you have the correct umbra because in brighter areas fxtree will decimate the red and green value not so much than in the dark areas..

and if you have the pass with the areashadow you can decimate the value of the shadow with a color correct node(for example by decreasing the gamma, that bright shadow areas will be burnt out to play more with the umbra..(but the tree looks a little bit more difficult)...

but you know, all is possible(ok maybe not in fxtree:))...you have to know that i´m a person who always try to make as most as possible in the post..first you don´t have to find the right value for the shadow in rendering(it needs so much time with testrenderings) and second is, that if you have job for company and they say: oh this shadow is to dark, you have to rerender it and this neeeeeeeeeeeds time...thats why more time for post(at the last jobs i only needed 3 or 4 hours for the post instead of 20 h in rendering), but you need less time to fix the scene..

i saw a few minutes ago that vimeo is possible...mhhh good to know:) next time:)