Workflow question regarding channels and passes

Discussions about FX-Tree and Compositing generally
Pancho

Workflow question regarding channels and passes

Post by Pancho » 01 Oct 2014, 17:16

Since I need to work closer with Nuke in the future I wonder about some workflow issues.

First, setting up all the render channels and passes for a scene seems to be tedious task. If this is done once, which way would I be able to reuse this scene? Looks stupid to do this each time for every new scene.

In terms of naming conventions: What is the best way to do this? Name each render only "Diffuse_xxxx" and point Nuke to a folder in oder to load the same stuff into a compositing script without the need to point each Read node to a certain file? Seems might cause a lot of trouble on the HDD if you want to move files, since there is no reference in their name referencing the scene they are coming from. But wouldn't it cause tedious work in Nuke if there is always a different "prefix" in front of the channel name?

If somebody went to these thinks before and could shed some light, I'd be glad!

Cheers
Thomas

Mathaeus

Re: Workflow question regarding channels and passes

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Oct 2014, 20:15

Just a few, maybe usable tips:

- regarding folder structure, you can tell SI to create folders automatically. For example, if you type something like [Pass]/[Framebuffer]/[Pass]_[Framebuffer] , SI will create parent folder named by pass, sub folder named by frame buffer, and it will put the pic into that sub folder.

- you can tell SI, using the render >scene options, where on HDD to put the all rendering - even outside of SI project folder, actually it could be USB drive too, if you wish ( not good idea in case of slow USB)

- if object in SI model belongs to specific pass, if you export and import SI model in another scene, having the same structure of render passes, object will sit into appropriate pass.

For more automatic approach , you can use something like Eric Thivierge's ET Pass Manager. Just personally, I did a lot of render passes work just manually, even that was rewarding.