Import image as plane - how?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Draise

Import image as plane - how?

Post by Draise » 23 Oct 2015, 16:44

I've used Blender a bit and it has a handy Import as Image addon - where you have the option to import an image, put on the Alpha cutout, shaderless (constant) and then create the plane to the dimentions of the image.

How would I go about this with Softimage? Is there a way in ICE to resize a plane to image dimentions? Or a script that would apply a constant shader with the correct image and alpha on import?

Just brain storming, my time for scripting is limited - but it would be nice to know what can be done.

El Burritoh

Re: Import image as plane - how?

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Oct 2015, 17:43

I can get you something for this in a minute here... You're using Redshift, right?
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Oct 2015, 17:50

Well, I thought I could knock this out... but for some reason a clip's resolution always comes back as 128x128, regardless of its actual size.

EDIT: Ah it's on the image source, not the clip... duh...
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

Draise

Post by Draise » 23 Oct 2015, 17:52

Hmm.. I haven't thought up to the render engine yet, I was just thinking of the viewport mainly, for quick motion graphics and previz.

Mental Ray or Redshift - if I remember correctly Redshift renders with the constant shader or have they implemented their own (I only used the Alpha)?

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Oct 2015, 18:19

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah I think I could just make it constant... pipe the image straight into the surface port.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Oct 2015, 18:48

Here you go...

Installation:
This is a plugin so drop in your user Plugins folder or workgroup Plugins location.

Usage:
In a Clip Explorer, select an image source, right-click, and choose 'New Card From Image'. My time is a bit limited too, so I haven't optimized this or even added support for running the command from image clips. Be sure you select an image source in the source/clips explorer.
Attachments
NewCardFromImage.zip
(979 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Oct 2015, 18:54

I might enhance the workflow for this when I get a chance. I like having a command in the context menu for the Clip Explorer, but I think I'd like a command to let you bring in a new image altogether if need be. Trivial stuff, but I am short on time at the moment.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 24 Oct 2015, 01:12

There is also something like that on Rray if I recall, which would also size the cards in proportion to resolution and aspect ratio.

Draise

Post by Draise » 24 Oct 2015, 04:16

Nice! Found the Rray one - works great (search Image Plane). And tried out your one Tim! Good work! I wish I had your scripting abilities. I had errors making the image when trying it (but found the right click context menu really really handy), the error is probably because I tried to test it when I didn't have Redshift installed on my Open CL machine?