Non-Interpolated Gradient?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
chepmedia

Non-Interpolated Gradient?

Post by chepmedia » 23 Nov 2014, 20:50

Is there a way to not-interpolate the gradient in SI? I see the Linear versus Cubic but I wish there was a way to say "hold this color until you get to another node".

I've worked around this by putting nodes riiiiiight up against one another but after a while they're so close they're difficult to select. And I couldn't add more than 8 nodes so this hack used up nodes pretty quickly. Ended up making a pre-rendered image sequence - would have preferred staying in the Render Tree since I needed to animate the colors over time.

Like the Colorama effect in After Effects ... checkbox to "Interpolate Palette" or not.

Thanks

FXDude

Re: Non-Interpolated Gradient?

Post by FXDude » 23 Nov 2014, 22:49

Unless I misunderstood you, there are the little white dots at the top of the color bar that are by default at midrange between color nodes,
it's not immediately obvious that they are movable,
but you can drag these all the way up to the next node, making all colors constant steps without sacrificing nodes, while leaving them easily selectable and movable.

Is that what you meant?

chepmedia

Post by chepmedia » 24 Nov 2014, 00:43

I... am embarrassed. I have actually used those midpoints in the past but only to do gamma-like adjustments between colors ... for rapid falloffs and the like. I never in a million years would have thought to take that midpoint and drive it all the way up to the next color node.

That worked perfectly.

Thank you,

Marc

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 24 Nov 2014, 01:42

It's that it's counterintuitive that the color would be constant by doing that, one would expect the half value to go up to the next node,(which it does in linear) but with cubic interpolation(defaut), the color of the dragged midpoint exponetially becomes the same color as the previous the more you go to the next, so then cool! =:)