Align to edge

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Grubber

Align to edge

Post by Grubber » 05 Nov 2014, 10:33

Hi guys!

I was watching tutorial from eat3d.com on uv mapping a dozer in 3ds max. And the tutor uses a tool called Align to Edge.
Align to Edge
Rotates the selected edge to absolute horizontal or vertical, whichever is closest, then selects all remaining edges in the cluster and rotates them the same amount.
I though it is quite useful tool, and maybe it is possible to have something similar in Softimage. Maybe some simple scripting would do?

Any ideas?

Thanks

rray

Re: Align to edge

Post by rray » 05 Nov 2014, 15:09

Give this a try :
* make sure the object global rotation is reset
* select the edge, set transfrom modes to COG & Global, then set rotation Z to the nearest 90 step (-180, -90,...), same after that for Y. X won't work well because it's rotating around the edge itself
* if you want to rotate the whole connected island around the edge, set proportional second curve point to value 1, increase distance to 100, and check "consider neighborhood" (for rotating the whole model, uncheck it)
* if you want only some of the polygons, disconnect them before the rotation, and delete the disconnect operator from the stack afterwards.

(doh realized this is probably uv related as you mentioned a uv tutotial :ymblushing: .. yes this would require a script. Unless you use a plugin like "UV Edit by Mesh" this might work with the workflow above, but might be overcomplicated because you would have to move the parts that you don't want to move out of the influence of proportionlal, then move them back..)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 13 Nov 2014, 17:47

Hi,
Sorry I am responding so late. Thanks for the replay, but I cannot find UV Edit by Mesh.
Anyway I am thinking to make the script myself. I have some Java programming experience. Any suggestions which scripting language I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

rray

Post by rray » 13 Nov 2014, 18:05

Hi, just happened to find something that has a straighten edge UV function. After installing this, select an edge on the mesh, and then in the texture editor go "tools->UVStraightenEdge". It does not seem to work when the edge is on a uv border.

xsiaddon

The addon (Jester Addon) also has a lot of other nice tools like fill uv, fit uv etc...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Nov 2014, 18:29

FYI - "UV Edit by Mesh" can be found by searching for it on rray.de/xsi, the number one resource site for most of your Softimage needs, maintained by our "very own" rray.
\m/
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

rray

Post by rray » 13 Nov 2014, 19:02

^:)^ that reminds me I should do another update on that site :D coming soon

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 13 Nov 2014, 19:58

Thanks a lot guys ^:)^