xsi can do this?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
hardgore

xsi can do this?

Post by hardgore » 26 Mar 2013, 10:41

im looking for shader preset or tutorial like this

http://cadjunkie.com/5241/qa-gunmetal-finish-in-modo

rray

Re: xsi can do this?

Post by rray » 26 Mar 2013, 16:02

About the metal part I'd try a something with black diffuse, grey specular and a light rig, which would be the fastest . Or low glossy reflections, but definitely black diffuse.

For worn edges I've been using this compound here (mental ray)

Uses an double ambient occlusion lookup (inv+normal) for finding the edges, or alternatively looks for hard edges (faster but doesn't apply to all models)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

hardgore

Post by hardgore » 28 Mar 2013, 02:12

rray wrote:About the metal part I'd try a something with black diffuse, grey specular and a light rig, which would be the fastest . Or low glossy reflections, but definitely black diffuse.

For worn edges I've been using this compound here (mental ray)

Uses an double ambient occlusion lookup (inv+normal) for finding the edges, or alternatively looks for hard edges (faster but doesn't apply to all models)
vielen dank german

i have tried your compound in mental ray
and the edge detection really impressive and realize nothing impossible in xsi
but im not sure where do i put the shaders correctly
its very difficult to use. even well compunded
i respect your depth of knowledge
can you show me how to use? any screenshot or vimeo or example scene file please
sorry im a big noob in render..

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 28 Mar 2013, 11:26

Hi,

i'm very interested by the technik too, but there is a way to found edges without any compound ?
It is for using it in any rendering engine, i've try to mixing differents AO + incidences + mixer without any success...

What is the tech with dual normal/invert AO ?

rray

Post by rray » 28 Mar 2013, 11:56

The trick with "Inverted AO" is that it's a normal AO node behind a Softimage "bump add" which makes it sample in the opposite direction.
"Bump add "allows modifying the normal that shaders connected to it will see. The name is a bit misleading, it should really be called sth like "Add vector to surface normal".
So to make the normal AO see an inverted normal, you'll have to plug the inverted normal multiplied by 2 into the bump add node so it sums up to N+(-2*N) which is -N
Some AO shaders from other renderers support looking up along the inverted direction with out any tricks, so this might be easier in other renderers.

The result from Inv. AO is mixed ("minimum") with normal AO making it work for the inside edges also. Max distance setting in both AOs make it more contained around the edges. This is also what's textured for the breakup effects. Color result of this is then used to blend edge/surface colors using a mix 2 colors. There's not much else to it, but you can always look inside the compound of course, it's all factory nodes.

hardgore, for the gun metal like you showed, open a render tree for the object, then drag and drop the edge shader node in there. Connect it to the surface port of Material, throw away the existing shader. This should show some black white speckled edges on the model already when you render. Now drag two surface materials (two phongs for example) in the render tree one for black metal, the other one something shiny for the edges. Put the black metal shader into the "surface" and the reflecting shader into the "edges" port of the edge shade node. Then tweak some parameters of it (probably radius is too high and turbulence setting should be reduced)

fabilabo

Post by fabilabo » 28 Mar 2013, 19:32

sorry but... is it possible to share just a scene with the shader tree, or a screen shoot ? ~x(

thank you :ymblushing:

rray

Post by rray » 28 Mar 2013, 22:50

Of the compound? You can open render tree compounds with the "e" button above it.

If you mean the finished setup, use the workflow I described to hardgore above. Can't make any screenshots the next few days