Help recreating this shader tree manually

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
minilogoguy18

Help recreating this shader tree manually

Post by minilogoguy18 » 03 Mar 2013, 00:01

Hi, I'm using Mod Tool 7.5 and since it seems to have limitations on what materials you can have applied to a model when exporting I need some help duplicating a shader tree. The reason I'm asking because I've tried just about every preset in the render tree and can't seem to duplicate the shader that seems to work. I also tried creating a compound to save but every time I import it gets broken and it wont let me re-link the material.

Here's an image of the fully expanded tree, very simple looking but I can't seem to duplicate it, it was created by importing a known working model that was exported to dotXSI 3.0 from a student copy of 2013. This tree seems to be generated from any model exported to the dotXSI 3.x format.
Hidden content: [ Show ]
Since this is the Mod Tool version I'm limited to saving the tree as a preset to be reloaded into another scene. All this is to help out a small game modding community, thanks.

Rork

Re: Help recreating this shader tree manually

Post by Rork » 03 Mar 2013, 14:31

dotxsi export will bring down the rendertree as much as possible, so it can be rebuild in any 3d app that supports dotxsi.

This just looks like a basic imported shader node with a texture attached. Nothing special. Just replace that material node with a Phong or whatever you want.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 03 Mar 2013, 15:45

Yeah I tried that though and I get a "Function not implemented in Mod Tool" error on export. Is there any way to break down say a phong node so that it only has the most simple of properties? Similar to what happens to the node after dotXSI export?

There was someone some time back who did it, the post on the forum is vague, saying they just deleted unnecessary rendering data and it exported the models without error after that.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 04 Mar 2013, 01:47

Did some digging and it seems that the soft_material is what gets applied with only the most simple of function, image input. Any way to recreate a similar shader that just has a texture>map input and a standard output to material?

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 04 Mar 2013, 19:22

Soft_material is shader that gets used for compatibility if you import an old scene or hierarchy from SOFTIMAGE|3D. It's a monolithic, all-in-one beast that is not compatible with the render tree, and can't be applied directly in XSI/Softimage.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... d28e719621

The Soft_materials's Shading Model parameter will be set to one of the options: Constant, Lambert, Phong, or Blinn. Just use the corresponding illumination shader to get something equivalent.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 06 Mar 2013, 01:14

Yeah but using a simple Phong still gives me the "Function not implemented in Mod Tool" error on export which causes loss of material and UV info. I know there is a way around it, problem is the person who seems to know isn't responding to my emails. He got models to export to dotXSI 3.x from Mod Tool and he just simply stated he deleted all unnecessary render data, very vague, that's all I got to go on.

If I import something I can copy the soft_material over to my models and they export perfectly with no errors, i just want a work around so that I can just build my own shader tree that is SIMILAR in function to the soft_material so that I don't have to constantly copy/paste render trees. It's retarded that there is no info on the limitations of Mod Tool ANYWHERE and I went in circles on the Autodesk website trying to figure out how to send a simple email to try to find out.

I just want to export my models to an old game engine and this is the only thing preventing that.