Offset texture projection

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Pancho

Offset texture projection

Post by Pancho » 26 Dec 2012, 17:34

I do have a tileable map for a few characters. Each character looks the same. Same geometry, same uvs. Instances from one character.

To avoid the same look, I want to create a custom attribute (0 - 1) and use this attribute to offset the texture. So far I used the remap uv function, but it only moves the texure around. Also it is tiled, I won't repeat in the areas outside of the remapping region. That's what I would need. Repeats of the texure outside of the remapped region.

I stumpled across the "edit uv" node, but can't figure out how to use it with an image.

Currently I can only think about 4 image projections and combine them with a mix colors node, each one covering an area, so the blank areas don't appear any more.

Is there an easier way to offset a texture on a uv map? There aren't any projections on my object. Just plain imported Uvs.

Thanks for your help and merry x-mas.
Pancho

NNois

Re: Offset texture projection

Post by NNois » 27 Dec 2012, 10:51

Hi,
it's odd but offseting in your projection lookup and passing it to an fresh edit uv resolve the repeat problem ;-)
cf screenshot

Noël
Attachments
Ice Slide Uv.jpg

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 28 Dec 2012, 15:46

Thanks for the answer! Managed to workaround with 4 textures which are all moved slightly so that they don't overlap. I then move all of them in a direction, so the UV will get at always a texture projected onto it. No holes!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 28 Dec 2012, 16:04

There's still one question. Probably almost the same solution, though SI crashes constantly while experimenting.

How do I move a procedural texture (like fractal) along my UV? Which node is there to project the fractal texture onto it (like the image lookup in yours)?

Cheers
Pancho

csaez

Post by csaez » 28 Dec 2012, 16:48

Pancho wrote:There's still one question. Probably almost the same solution, though SI crashes constantly while experimenting.

How do I move a procedural texture (like fractal) along my UV? Which node is there to project the fractal texture onto it (like the image lookup in yours)?

Cheers
Pancho
Get your procedural from 'Texture Generators' category ;)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 28 Dec 2012, 17:09

Thanks - so - much! Completely new to texturing in SI, so it's sometimes a bit hard ...

NNois

Post by NNois » 28 Dec 2012, 20:35

hi, yes some nodes are essential when working with ice... (vector state, etc...)
don't forget the addon from http://www.binaryalchemy.de/ his shader collection is a must have ;-)

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 21 Nov 2013, 15:21

hey,
actually I dont like crosspostings :)
But, I just found that post some minutes ago and thought, you could help me with this problem:

I have an ocean plate (attached) that is part of an animation.
Now I would like to repeat that on ONE grid with texture repeats.
If I would do it just out of the box, the black borders would make a very bad seam.

Instancing the grid and let them overlap a bit would help, but I need that texture on a single grid repeated....

Is there something similar to what you did in your post, NNois?

Attachments
ocean_tile.jpg

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 21 Nov 2013, 15:54

In this case I would use after effects or something similar, make a composition twice the size of your image, instance 8 meshes around the original (so you have nine image like on a side of a rubics cube), set everything to lighten over a black background and then crop the final image. Do this in SI might be a burden to the render times. In a composing app it should be easier to handle.

Once you got an image without the crumpled borders everything should be fine.

Cheers

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 21 Nov 2013, 17:00

hey pancho,

thanks a lot! :) exactly what I need!
Saving my evening.

greetings!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 21 Nov 2013, 17:57

What I did in the past for this purpose is to do everything in SI directly.

Once you've set up the ocean, create an empty point cloud and a grid (3x3). In the point cloud instance the ocean on the grid. If the sizes are alright, the seems will be eliminated (gridsize = 3x ocean gridsize). Then render a displacement map or whatever for the center region. The black edges won't be visible as the instanced meshes will cover these spots.

More or less the same approach like in my previous post, but all in SI.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 21 Nov 2013, 18:14

great, ty for both solutions!