Material ID on UV Island

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Falam

Material ID on UV Island

Post by Falam » 25 Dec 2012, 14:54

I'm looking for some feed back or an alternative way to do this. I want to convert UV islands to Material ID then load the UV map with the Material ID color on the UV map per UV island into Ps. I've thought about AO, it's not "bold" enough, then I thought how about applying clusters to each UV island then coloring the clusters and having those colors show up in the UV editor equal to a Material ID, so to make what areas I want to texture more visually rather then load the UV map into Ps, and switch back and forth between Softimage and Ps to know what UV island I want to texture.

rray

Re: Material ID on UV Island

Post by rray » 26 Dec 2012, 01:17

Had a shot.. hope it's what u mean... this assigns a random color (color at vertex property) for each UV island.

It's quite slow, so anytips on how to speed it up are quite welcome

(quick usage .. connect compound, pick "UVs" attribute from tproj, create color at vertices map, pick "Colors" attribute from that map, wait............................................, use color map lookup node in render tree to read from that map)

Attachments
RandomColorByUVIsland.xsicompound
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Falam

Post by Falam » 26 Dec 2012, 05:57

rray wrote:Had a shot.. hope it's what u mean... this assigns a random color (color at vertex property) for each UV island.

It's quite slow, so anytips on how to speed it up are quite welcome

(quick usage .. connect compound, pick "UVs" attribute from tproj, create color at vertices map, pick "Colors" attribute from that map, wait............................................, use color map lookup node in render tree to read from that map)

My UV object that I want to test it on, is not complete in the mean time I'll test on "whatever" object :) That is excellent though, what about labeling the UV islands with words "index finger", "middle finger", "top leg" etc ? You can see the UV Island color and what part of the mesh it's associated with so you know how you should texture the island or islands, saves from switching back and forth, I tend to have a few programs running simultaneously.

rray

Post by rray » 07 Apr 2013, 19:01

I found something on twitter that could be related to this, maybe it helps ...

from https://twitter.com/ymt3d/

softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Falam

Post by Falam » 07 Apr 2013, 20:30

@rray - The compound you created is better, this compound you showed your dealing with vertex bleeding, blah. This tool could be expanded to create MaterialID passes. Every material on each object gets it's own color then pipped into a channel for the object ?