mGridUV

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

m|GridUVAuthor: Martin Yara
The m|GridUV functionality is now included in m|TextureEditor — This script aligns selected UV points in a grid pattern, optionally keeping the existing row/column spacing. Demonstrated here.

Usage: Select the UVs you want to re-align (You can also select polygons when the script editor is open) Run the script, choose desired options (keep spacing, spacing ratio fix) Now pick a reference UV point That reference point will be used as the UV origin, as well as the origin for the edgeloops from which the spacings will be sampled if that option is chosen.

local backup:mGridUV.js

myara

mGridUV

Post by myara » 07 Aug 2017, 14:43

This is a tool I've been working on. It still need some work but I think it is somewhat usable so, since I've got a few more tools to write, I'm releasing it as it is for now.

What does it do ?
It re-aligns your UVs to create a UV grid. If that makes any sense.

What does it do step by step.
- Select the UVs you want to re-align.
- Run the script, your cursor will change to pick.
- Pick the sample you want to use as a reference (it needs to be a sample with 4 edges)
- It will calculate this sample's edge loops length ratios and re align the UVs to match them.
- After that it will re align the rest of the UVs to match these UV loops.

The Match ratio is optional but it is ON by default.
You can change the variable FixRatio to false in the script if you want. I'll try to create a GUI soon.

M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Superpositivo

Re: mGridUV

Post by Superpositivo » 08 Aug 2017, 14:13

This tool is SUPER GREAT!

Hundreds of time it comes in help with UVs. I cannot count, actually.
REALLY!

So great, Myara.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 08 Aug 2017, 16:38

Yet another awesome plugin from Martin! If you consider creating some scripting tutorials I would gladly buy them!

myara

Post by myara » 10 Aug 2017, 09:28

I added a simple PPG so you can select if you want to fix the UV ratio to match the edges, or not.
Fixed a few lines so now it supports selected samples even if they are connected to other samples. In other words, you don't need to separate the samples you want to re-align, only select them.

I'll release a custom Texture Editor including this tool, but it will take a few weeks I think. I want to finish soon this because we already started a new Softimage project last month.

Thanks gaboraa for your compliments.
I don't think I will release a tutorial because, well,
1. My knowledge of the SDK isn't that good. I only know the parts I'm interested in.
2. Softimage is EOL :(

But if you are studying scripting and have any question I'd be glad to help you if I can.
M.Yara

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 10 Aug 2017, 12:20

myara wrote:I don't think I will release a tutorial because, well,
1. My knowledge of the SDK isn't that good. I only know the parts I'm interested in.
2. Softimage is EOL :(
1. which probably covers 99% of what people would need to know in order to make cool stuff like you. :-bd
2. EOL but not dead or broken. Foundation 5.11 and Mod Tool 7.5 still going strong on my machine. :ymparty:

rray

Post by rray » 11 Aug 2017, 16:27

Cool tool. One of those to keep in the back of your mind for when you need it.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

myara

Post by myara » 12 Aug 2017, 03:20

It is specially useful in low poly game assets production, where you want your UVs to be, when possible, straight so you'll have as less jaggies as possible in your texture lines.

I'll try to tweak it a little more though. I wanted to use it yesterday with just a polygon loop and didn't work because I wrote the script thinking in a grid of at least 2x2 polys.
M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 16 Aug 2017, 02:30

This is really great!

For the UI, for a while I've been thinking of making a custom relational view with HTML sidebars and UVEditor in the middle (already know how to do that along with pressed/hover states)

Containing re-arranged and properly labled and layed-out standard UV tools (replacing all the cramped rows of tiny tooltip-less icons)
and adding the number of UV tools out there (many of which from Myara actually) now including this one which is again really great!

... and making an addon out of that.

Few of the UV commands are logged when invoked, but can be called by simulating associated hotkeys while assinging some obscure hotkey to the few commands that don't have any.

It's in my list anyway, sometime after other things that i've been dying to finish :)

myara

Post by myara » 18 Aug 2017, 09:16

Thanks FXDude. Yes that's the approach I've been working on.

Create a custom View with xml, put 1 or 2 toolbars and a PPG property in one side and the Texture Editor View in the other. Something like Maya's Nightshade UV Editor script, but since they are going to be XSI toolbars, it should be very easy to customize.

I already have a prototype, but I still have to create a few icons and add a few tools that I have already decided but haven't written them yet, and tweak few things in the tools that I've already wrote.

I'm doing this in my free time only, so it may take a while.
M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 20 Aug 2017, 04:17

myara wrote:Thanks FXDude. Yes that's the approach I've been working on.
Lol we should hook pinky fingers :)
myara wrote: Create a custom View with xml, put 1 or 2 toolbars and a PPG property in one side and the Texture Editor View in the other. Something like Maya's Nightshade UV Editor script, but since they are going to be XSI toolbars, it should be very easy to customize.

I already have a prototype, but I still have to create a few icons and add a few tools that I have already decided but haven't written them yet, and tweak few things in the tools that I've already wrote.

I'm doing this in my free time only, so it may take a while.
Cool, that actually sounds great!
& Let me know if I can be of service for those icons!

myara

Post by myara » 22 Aug 2017, 12:20

Thanks

This is how I'm doing it. With a Custom Relational View as a base, then edited the xml code to put a property inside.

M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 24 Aug 2017, 12:56

Cool :)

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 24 Aug 2017, 18:20

:-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 06 Sep 2017, 01:11

mTextureEditor 
           Custom UV editor prototype :-o

myara

Post by myara » 06 Sep 2017, 11:09

lol, It was an inside release. I'm still testing, fixing some things and adding some others.
I'll share it when It's ready.
M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 06 Sep 2017, 23:01

Hi
you mentioned it was a WIP, and that's why I descibed it as a "prototype" of a pretty cool UV editor layout. :ymdaydream:
but sorry if I jumped the gun, :ymblushing:

I myself am planning on releasing a few general layouts
(resolving some docked PPG issues and providing tabbed interfaces for ICE, RenderTrees, explorers, PPGs ... )

In any case, Nice work!