Bisect

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

rcBisectAuthor: Reinhard Claus
This one does split a polygon mesh obj into two parts using a random plane, then closes both parts. This is already all it does. When used repeatedly it can be used to shatter an object. Gets installed in Create->Polymesh menu.

For more details, see the usage tips inside the si-community thread.

local backup: rcBisect.xsiaddon

rray

Bisect

Post by rray » 09 Jul 2010, 02:35

Hello fellas,

Tool time^^ This one does split a polygon mesh obj into two parts using a random plane, then closes both parts.

This is already all it does :-$

When used repeatedly it can be used to shatter an object. Gets installed in Create->Polymesh menu.

Some usage tips:
* You can use a predefined axis (X,Y,Z) for the split but that will be for special cases only. For normal behavior, use "Random" or "Axis with longest Extent"
* Use "longest extent" remove the long and flat parts that you see in A becuase it splits the long parts through their longest axis
* Reducing "Offset" shifts the split plane more to the center, producing more regularly sized chunks (see C)
* Increasing "Random Angle" produce more D like splits.
* With "Min Volume" set to OFF(0), chunks that happen to be very small get broken up into even smaller chunks which might not be what you want. (Starts to happen a bit in D)
* A good way to produce rather evenly-spaced chunks is to bisect using a high "Minimul...." setting like 10 until there's nothing more to bisect. Repeat this with a slightly lower setting. Repeat again... (Seee E, you'll notice this probably more when using smaller pieces)
* Note that of course you can use different settings for each iteration (See F), or localize the scatter effect by deselecting objects (see top right corner of F)
* Auto generated normals will get messed up. Using a pre baked normal map probably could help you get back the original smooth surface.

Here's the download (not linked yet from the main site)
rray.de/xsi/bak/rray/rcBisect.xsiaddon

Ray

Ed:
Recetly discovered that a plugin like this already exists :-ss - XSIShatter by Michele Sandrioni (http://www.threesixty3d.com/software/). It uses the same approach with splitting planesm, in addition has settings for fragment spacing, color and UV options for the internal surfaces, does a better job at closing the holes (see a few posts down for an example where mine fails), and a direct control of the fragment count.
A setup where mine could be of use is if you want the grid like splitting that it doesn't do.
:-ss
Last edited by rray on 14 Jul 2010, 21:39, edited 5 times in total.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

owei
Administrator

Re: Bisect

Post by owei » 09 Jul 2010, 08:50

Hi Ray..!

Thanks for sharing! I´ll have a look at it asap ,)

cheers,
oliver

Firebird

Post by Firebird » 09 Jul 2010, 09:33

Hi there.
Thank you so much
Just tried it on simple geo and it works perfect.

Great add on and finally a option to shatter objects quickly.

You made my day :) :ymapplause:

rray

Post by rray » 09 Jul 2010, 10:35

thanks for you fast feedback! I noticed a case where the close-all-holes fn doesn't work. It's when there's an inside and an outside ring, like when splitting a torus in half horizontally.
S.th like this should be bridged but the function closes each ring separately right now.

I'll see if the bridge op can be used instead.

work around for now by undoing and reapplying bisect and hope a better split plane is used

RoN43

Post by RoN43 » 12 Jul 2010, 21:41

Thanks a lot!!! It break only on 2 fragent in 1 session?

rray

Post by rray » 12 Jul 2010, 23:37

Yes that how it works. It selects everything after it is done, so you can more easily apply the next pass.

I had an iteration counter in the PPG but it turned out I never used it because I changed the settings from pass to pass.

rein08

Post by rein08 » 13 Jul 2010, 10:37

Thanks for sharing!
Maybe I could try these some other time!
cheers!