mTextureEditor

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

m|TextureEditorAuthor: Martin Yara
A well designed extension of the XSI texture editor that adds new features and arranges some existing ones in more accessible ways. Developed at skymill.co.jp for game production. For a quick overview watch mTextureEditor.

New features include for example straighten UV line, gridify UV block (m|Grid functionality), fill to UV extents, stamp UVs to eps, connect facets, align to uv edge.

Transforms like uniform, non uniform scaling, mirroring, mirror symmetry, rotation and translation are now the central part of the UI, along with controls of the most important transform parameters Units: Choose between uv units and pixels of the underlying texture. Alignment for UV islands and new alignment options for UV points (align to topmost, leftmost, etc..) Options for pinning, relaxing, regularizing etc. now have a section in the main toolbar.

Compatibility note from the manual (en/jp): It's been tested in Softimage 2013, 2014 and 2015.

local backup:mTextureEditor.xsiaddon

myara

mTextureEditor

Post by myara » 04 Oct 2017, 17:33

Finally, ready to share it. As always there are some things that still need work, but it works good enough to be used :D

I hope I didn't forget anything this time.

http://skymill.co.jp/tools/Softimage/mT ... _help.html
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

rray

Re: mTextureEditor

Post by rray » 04 Oct 2017, 22:48

Works perfectly. Very useful, it's an instant must have plugin.

Feels like an updated Softimage. Nice work, thanks for releasing it!! Cool help page too.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Draise

Post by Draise » 04 Oct 2017, 23:35

:-o :-o :-o

What he said. Feels like a whole new release on Softimage. What an addon! Good work!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 05 Oct 2017, 00:10

Draise wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 23:35 :-o :-o :-o

What he said. Feels like a whole new release on Softimage. What an addon! Good work!
And what he said   lol :p

Like what we coud have hoped for  out of a "Texture"(UV) Editor 2.0  in XSI 2017

EDIT:  or rather XSI v17  (Softimage 2018)  :P
Last edited by FXDude on 05 Oct 2017, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 05 Oct 2017, 01:29

That looks incredibly useful! Thanks for releasing it ^:)^

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 05 Oct 2017, 01:31

Softimage 2017 \m/

myara

Post by myara » 05 Oct 2017, 12:17

Thanks! if anything isn't working right, I'd appreciate your feedback.
I have some other projects waiting, but if it is something crucial error or something I can fix quickly I'd do it right away.
M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Oct 2017, 13:17

Hi,

First of all, I tried every function, and everything seems to work great, and its pretty neat :)

If anything,
   1. The path to NoIcon swapping defaults to 'plugins' instead of the 'bitmaps' folder.

2. Not a big thing, but the Custom PPG shows Up in the scene root,
       and unless I'm mistaken, I think it's possible to set it as an invisible item(?)

3. And If I may, what would you think if the custom PPG itself contained all the buttons instead of the toolbars?

Which would allow the increment sliders to go with their corresponding functions, such as the following ::

Also in this image :

- items are more immediately identifiable I think because of groups
     and separators between functions of different types.

- Anything with "Up Down Left Right" have the same layout.

The layout takes a bit more space,
yet I wouldn't mind scrolling for the useful but less used items at the bottom, and since we have more space,
we can break-away from the "everything bunched-up" problem with the often very similar icons of the factory toolbars.

Which would also allow an arbitrary amount of more functions (from other scripts found or added)

If all transposed to PPGs, the headers could be screen-grabbed bitmaps from the toolbar,
( I think the headers are important )
and the spacers could be just thin gray strips bitmaps between certain buttons ( or just regular space characters? )

In the same vein, perhaps also breaking different sections into a few custom PPGs? (which would make sections collapsable)

Also, the UV Image itself is also part of the proposition. (as a noIcon replacement, or a noIcon 2.0)

It's non-visually-abrasive or distracting when editing uv's on top of the NoIcon UV map
(weather dimmed or not)

You can immediately generally tell what approximate section a UV island is located by the general tint.

Default version goes from 0 to 1 and another with 0 to 1 substeps between each decimal

When simply composited with alpha over a texture map,
both dark and bright UV info parts remain visible over either the bright or dark (or mids) parts of the texture.

(I PM'ed you the pics)

In any event, let me know your thoughts,
Cheers!

myara

Post by myara » 10 Oct 2017, 16:07

Thanks for your feedback!

You really want to make me work don't you, lol

1. NoIcon path is something I can fix. I think I forgot to add an ini file for this one. And I think I could do something to make you manage better your personal noicon pics. That shouldn't take too much time so I'll do it as soon as I can.
2. The Custom PPG showing in the Root is because I couldn't make it work otherwise. The PPG would disappear when you minimize the Texture Editor. I'm sure there is a workaround to recreate the PPG everytime inside the Texture Editor, but I couldn't find a way and decided to choose the Root Property solution until I find a better way. It isn't pretty but at least it works.
3. A Softimage PPG can't contain bitmap buttons so I would have to do a Synoptic approach, which would take me more time because I haven't done it before and I'm not sure how to put that into my custom viewer.
Another option would be going with PySide but that wouldn't stick to the Texture Editor. It would be a floating prettier toolbar, which isn't really a bad idea but a lot more work to deal with.
So I chose the Toolbar and PPG mixing to save time in the GUI. And I'd love to have groups in the toolbars but it's just not possible.

A lot of my GUI decisions were based on lack of time. I had to give preference to the coding itself, which isn't perfect yet but I had to let it like this. Our Maya Tools and PySide2 are waiting for some attention.
M.Yara

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 11 Oct 2017, 01:33

No prob, it was a shot in the dark anyways, and as mentionned, it's already neat as it is!

cheers, best of luck on your project!