FESRetopo - retopology tool for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

UV Packer for SoftimageAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated March 2021 — This is connector between Softimage and standalone UV Packer application for Blender

This addon works in the same way as addon for Blender. It contains from two parts. The main part is standalone application UV-Packer-Blender.exe This application can be freely downloaded from the official site. The second part of the addon is connector between Softimage and this standalone application. This connector gets a data from objects inside Softimage, pass this data into application, wait the answer and then apply changes to objects inside Softimage.

For more information, see the download page linked below.

download: UVPacker_for_Softimage_0_91.xsiaddon
FESRetopoAuthor: Shekn @si-community
updated to 0.75, information about update can be found here — A retopology/remesh tool built with the Fabric Engine - meaning it will run in other applications like Maya and Houdini as well. Note that it's using a Softimage specific initialization plugin (installed in Create > Polygon Mesh > FESRetopo), so in other applications it would have to be initialized manually.

Shekn's description from the si-community thread: There are three parameters: Reference - The path to the hi-poly file. Hide reference - when checked, the hi-poly reference is not drawn in the viewport. Hide HUD - when checked, edges and points are not drawn in viewport in case the splice manipulator is disabled (for example, when rotating the camera).

In fact, the global purpose of this tool is to build the analogue of Topogun for Softimage and take the retopology process of some small models inside one 3d-program without import-export actions.

An interesting timelapse is available on his Angel07's channel: Ear retopology sample, as well as installation instructions: FESRetopo tool.

local backup: FESRetopo 0.75.zip
S-remesherAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated November 2019 — A retopology tool built that will create a quad remesh of the selected object. This addon implement two open-source algorithms for remeshing of polygon mesh objects: Instant Meshes and QuadriFlow.

For installation instructions, see the download page.
Quad remesherAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated July 2021 — A retopology tool built that will create a quad remesh of the selected object.

See the download page for more information.

anhungxadieu

Re: FESRetopo - retopology tool for Softimage

Post by anhungxadieu » 11 Sep 2015, 18:45

nice tool, keep it up!
thank you very much Angel

druitre

Post by druitre » 15 Sep 2015, 11:33

I'm trying to get this to work - first trying to get Fabric installed, as well - and no luck so far. Am I missing something?

I unzipped the fabric download, moved the directory to C:\Program Files, ran prompt.bat and followed its instructions:
- created environment variable 'FABRIC_DIR' and set value to 'C:\Program Files\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64'
- created environment variable 'FABRIC_EXT_PATH' and set value to 'C:\Program Files\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\Exts'
- added 'C:\Program Files\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\bin;' to PATH variable
- added a 'PYTHON_VERSION' variable set to '2.7'
- added 'C:\Program Files\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\Python\2.7;' to PYTHONPATH variable

Then I unzipped the retopoarchive:
- copied the FESRetopo-folder to G:\Jaspers XSI Workgroup\Fabric_Extensions and added ';G:\Jaspers XSI Workgroup\Fabric_Extensions' to the FABRIC_EXT_PATH variable
- installed the addon (to 'Jaspers XSI Workgroup')

Then restart Soft, open model>create>polymesh>FESretopo, point reference to .obj I've prepped, click 'start retopo'.

I get the material ppg and a red error line, script editor log shows

Code: Select all

// ERROR : Property Page Script Logic Error (Python ActiveX Scripting Engine)
// ERROR :    [166] 
// ERROR :    [167] 		#apply splice operator
// ERROR :   >[168] 		p = os.path.normpath(os.path.join(Application.Plugins("FESRetopoPlugin").OriginPath, "FESRetopo.splice"))
// ERROR :    [169] 		Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"" + p.replace('\\', '/') + "\", \"hideUI\": true,\"mesh0\":\"" + mesh.FullName + ".polymsh\"}", "", "")
// ERROR :    [170] 		Application.SetValue(mesh.FullName + ".polymsh.SpliceOp.pathToIcons",  os.path.join(Application.Plugins("FESRetopoPlugin").OriginPath, "icons"), "")
// ERROR :    [171] 		Application.SetValue(mesh.FullName + ".polymsh.SpliceOp.spatialQueryType",  sqNum, "")
// ERROR : 	Traceback (most recent call last):
//   File "<Script Block 2>", line 169, in FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked
//     Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"" + p.replace('\\', '/') + "\", \"hideUI\": true,\"mesh0\":\"" + mesh.FullName + ".polymsh\"}", "", "")
//   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32comext\axscript\client\pyscript.py", line 105, in __getattr__
//     return getattr(self._scriptItem_.dispatchContainer,attr)
//   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 516, in __getattr__
//     raise AttributeError("%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr))
// AttributeError: Application.fabricSplice
// 
What is going wrong here? Nothing to see in viewport, no tools or menu. Empty polymesh without any operator.

Help appreciated!
Jasper

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 15 Sep 2015, 14:25

Try the following:

1. Check, is FabricEngine installed correctly. For example, try to open standard examples. For Softimage toy should connect as workgroup the folder FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\SpliceIntegrations\FabricSpliceSoftimage2015\

2. If FE installed correctly, try to load FESRetopo.splice operator manualy, as described in the manual.

druitre

Post by druitre » 15 Sep 2015, 18:08

Angel,
thanks. It was the workgroup, I didn't know it had to be connected. Just now first time installing Fabric... Anyway, it's working now!

regards,
Jasper

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 16 Sep 2015, 02:14

Just a word of advice, I would steer away from setting the variables by hand and instead, set them using a .bat file. I have some examples of how I do this for Kraken but it's the same without. I'd copy the code out of the prompt.bat that ships with Fabric and just add the call to launch Softimage after it.

http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken/d ... er-scripts
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

druitre

Post by druitre » 16 Sep 2015, 11:24

Hi Eric,

I actually would like to stay far away from environment variables. BUT the doc says to run the prompt.bat file, I did and Fabric didn't work after. I then checked the variables and saw nothing was set there, so I figured I had to do it manually.

So, when you say 'set them using a .bat file', what do you actually mean, step by step? What should happen?

-Jasper

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 16 Sep 2015, 11:29

I'd be interested in an idiot-proof guide to getting Fabric Canvas working.

I don't get the prompt.bat thing either. All I know is that nothing is working on my machine so far.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 16 Sep 2015, 15:28

@Pooby: If you are having issues with Fabric 2.0, you should email support@fabricengine.com

Simple Setup:
In general, if you're not going to be doing any custom KL Extensions or custom Canvas nodes, you don't need to set any variables. You just need to connect to the Softimage workgroup in that ships with the Fabric releases:

Example:
C:\Users\Eric\Documents\workgroups\FabricEngine\splice\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\SpliceIntegrations\FabricSpliceSoftimage2015

One thing to note is that you should NOT move this folder outside of this folder structure. It is essential that it stays relative to the Fabric folder. I made that mistake a few times and it caused many issues. Also I would not put it in your C:\Program Files folder either.

Intermediate Setup:
The prompt.bat file simply launches a command prompt with the standard environment variables set so you can run Fabric from the command line. Most of us won't need that. However, this file provides a very good template on what variables need to be setup.

If you open up the prompt.bat by right clicking and going to 'Edit' or by opening it in a text editor you will see something like:

REM
REM Example environment setup file for Fabric Engine
REM
REM - Optional: update FABRIC_DIR to point to the chosen installation dir
REM
REM - Optional: update FABRIC_PYTHON_VERSION to the version of Python you
REM   are using (eg. 2.7, 2.6)
REM

set FABRIC_DIR=%~dp0

set PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\bin;%PATH%

set _OLD_PYTHON_VERSION=%PYTHON_VERSION%
set PYTHON_VERSION=2.7
set PYTHONPATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Python\%PYTHON_VERSION%;%PYTHONPATH%
set PYTHON_VERSION=%_OLD_PYTHON_VERSION%

set FABRIC_EXTS_PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Exts

call cmd

This file is setup to run from the main Fabric directory. If you are going to setup your own, you need to change the FABRIC_DIR variable to point to the full path to the main Fabric directory. This way you can put the .bat file anywhere and run it. You'll also want to change the last few lines to not open a command prompt (cmd) but to launch Softimage:

set FABRIC_DIR=C:\PATH\TO\YOUR\FABRIC\DIRECTORY

set PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\bin;%PATH%

set _OLD_PYTHON_VERSION=%PYTHON_VERSION%
set PYTHON_VERSION=2.7
set PYTHONPATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Python\%PYTHON_VERSION%;%PYTHONPATH%
set PYTHON_VERSION=%_OLD_PYTHON_VERSION%

set FABRIC_EXTS_PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Exts

call "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 SP1\Application\bin\XSI.bat"

Once you save the above text to a new .bat file and launch it (double click), you'll still need to connect to the workgroup that ships with Fabric as mentioned above. You should get a Fabric Splice menu at the top and you're all set. If you need to add custom KL Extensions that people are sharing, simply add that path to the FABRIC_EXTS_PATH variable in the .bat file and it will be accessible through Splice when you launch Softimage.

Running Fabric 2.0 will look very similar but you'll want to double check the variables as I believe new ones were added.
Eric Thivierge

druitre

Post by druitre » 16 Sep 2015, 19:41

Thanks Eric for the lengthy reply. I'm with Pooby on the idiot-proof thing, is it at all possible to just have an install.exe that takes care of everything apart from connecting the workgroup?

If I get what you're saying, for a 'user', not TD/programmer like me it's enough to just unzip the package to wherever and connect to the workgroup, right? After that Splice will work inside Soft? No prompt.bat stuff necessary?
EricTRocks wrote:(...) Also I would not put it in your C:\Program Files folder either.
Well, Fabric is a program so that's exactly where I put it. :P It works now, so I'll just keep it there, but that is a point the docs should mention. I guess most people would put it just there?
EricTRocks wrote:Once you save the above text to a new .bat file and launch it (double click), you'll still need to connect to the workgroup that ships with Fabric as mentioned above. You should get a Fabric Splice menu at the top and you're all set. If you need to add custom KL Extensions that people are sharing, simply add that path to the FABRIC_EXTS_PATH variable in the .bat file and it will be accessible through Splice when you launch Softimage.
Still confused about the .bat thing. As said, I double-clicked it, I got a cmd-window but I could see no environment variables being added/changed when I looked under system properties/advanced/etc. Does the .bat put those variables temporarily in RAM or something? And not actually change them? And is the .bat file automatically run when I launch Soft? Or when I start Splice?

regards,
Jasper

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 16 Sep 2015, 20:17

druitre wrote:Thanks Eric for the lengthy reply. I'm with Pooby on the idiot-proof thing, is it at all possible to just have an install.exe that takes care of everything apart from connecting the workgroup?
You'll have to ask Fabric Support about that one.
If I get what you're saying, for a 'user', not TD/programmer like me it's enough to just unzip the package to wherever and connect to the workgroup, right? After that Splice will work inside Soft? No prompt.bat stuff necessary?
That's correct.
Well, Fabric is a program so that's exactly where I put it. :P It works now, so I'll just keep it there, but that is a point the docs should mention. I guess most people would put it just there?
Well, it's a framework not a traditional application. The reason I suggest not putting it there is that you may have to replace the folder / have multiple versions of Fabric on the machine at one time. I usually put it in a folder named 'D:\Fabric\splice\' and then unzip each version in there. Do as you wish.
Still confused about the .bat thing. As said, I double-clicked it, I got a cmd-window but I could see no environment variables being added/changed when I looked under system properties/advanced/etc. Does the .bat put those variables temporarily in RAM or something? And not actually change them? And is the .bat file automatically run when I launch Soft? Or when I start Splice?
I don't think you created your own using the code I posted above. If you do, when you double click the custom one, it should launch Softimage after setting the environment variables. Note the line where it points to the "XSI.bat" file. The prompt.bat or the custom.bat you create will not set the variables permanently. Only for that session which is probably preferred since you may need to switch versions / update them once a new version comes out.
Eric Thivierge

druitre

Post by druitre » 17 Sep 2015, 12:18

The prompt.bat or the custom.bat you create will not set the variables permanently. Only for that session which is probably preferred since you may need to switch versions / update them once a new version comes out.
Ok, I understand. Thanks!

alias3ds

Post by alias3ds » 28 Oct 2015, 06:03

Angel 07 wrote:The next 0.7 version update.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... %200.7.zip

Some sample videos:
1. The process of sphere retopology. All new tools used.

2. More complicated case of the eye area.

3. Ear.

Whats new. The most important - new three tools:
1. Edge tool. Allow to create an edge between two points. Also allow to extrude an edge and form a 4-sided polygon. Convenient to create polygon loops.
2. Move brush. Simple move points.
3. Relax brush. Smooth the wire.

Also there is a short manual in the archive with pictures and descriptions of tools.

And yes, all done for Fabric Engine 1.15.3.
Hi, Angel, thanks a lot for your sharing. But the link of 0.7 version update now is not available. Could you please offer me a new available link? Thank you very much.

Alias

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 11 Dec 2015, 18:31

Hi, thank you for the tool, is simply AMAZING. :D
Can i ask you if is possible place the middle mouse button the switch betiween MOVE and create? Becasue the tool is SUPER SONIC, but the operation to go every time on the icon make it less faster and is a sin:(

Any way, the tool is FANTASTIC and very uefull.

There are some stuff neded inside it, and i can also pay for these modifications, becasue a tool like this in my work is BASIC, it avoid me to use external applycations.
Do you think that is possible add 3 features? (tell me if you want, or if is a cost, how is your time)
Here what i need:
1) middle mouse (or a short cut) to switch between move and create vertex
2) Possible pick a mesh inside the scene and not only externa OBJ...would be great!
3) A off-set of the vertex to be drawed a bit distand from the reference mesh... Like a invisible thickness...

Tel me is if possible and if you need to payed for this i'm ok, i'm honored to reward a so cool tool.
let me know... thank!

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 12 Dec 2015, 11:18

I think that i can do it. No problem with your first request (about middle button). Your second request is also realizable, but only as additional function in Softimage. I can add a button to property page. By pressing this button you starts the pick session. You select any object and the the retopology process begin with selected mesh as reference. It is possible.

But I don't understand the reasons for the third request. All points, edges and polygons drawn at the top of reference mesh. So, there are no any overlaps of polygons and z-fightings. Why you need the offset of drawn points and polygons?

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 12 Dec 2015, 11:32

Thank for you help, i'm very gratefull! ;)
I explain the third request:
When a artist retopo a mesh, in some case he want create a subdivision mesh optimized. So a "off set" would be nice, becasue when you subdive a mesh it becae a little less big (becasue of the interpolations) , 5% less big...or similar. So if i could retopo the mesh with a certain off set, when i subdivide my mesh it is more near to the original volumes and this is very usefull.

Thank you for all! I really appreciate what you have done. Really much. :D

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 12 Dec 2015, 12:33

It will be better to use Push deformer separately. You retopo the mesh as usual, then add push deformer and finally add subdivision deformer to this mesh. As a result you can tweak push amount and interactively find the value which is good for you. Of course it is possible to add custom push deformer to retopo tool, but it seems unnecessary.