FESRetopo - retopology tool for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

UV Packer for SoftimageAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated March 2021 — This is connector between Softimage and standalone UV Packer application for Blender

This addon works in the same way as addon for Blender. It contains from two parts. The main part is standalone application UV-Packer-Blender.exe This application can be freely downloaded from the official site. The second part of the addon is connector between Softimage and this standalone application. This connector gets a data from objects inside Softimage, pass this data into application, wait the answer and then apply changes to objects inside Softimage.

For more information, see the download page linked below.

download: UVPacker_for_Softimage_0_91.xsiaddon
FESRetopoAuthor: Shekn @si-community
updated to 0.75, information about update can be found here — A retopology/remesh tool built with the Fabric Engine - meaning it will run in other applications like Maya and Houdini as well. Note that it's using a Softimage specific initialization plugin (installed in Create > Polygon Mesh > FESRetopo), so in other applications it would have to be initialized manually.

Shekn's description from the si-community thread: There are three parameters: Reference - The path to the hi-poly file. Hide reference - when checked, the hi-poly reference is not drawn in the viewport. Hide HUD - when checked, edges and points are not drawn in viewport in case the splice manipulator is disabled (for example, when rotating the camera).

In fact, the global purpose of this tool is to build the analogue of Topogun for Softimage and take the retopology process of some small models inside one 3d-program without import-export actions.

An interesting timelapse is available on his Angel07's channel: Ear retopology sample, as well as installation instructions: FESRetopo tool.

local backup: FESRetopo 0.75.zip
S-remesherAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated November 2019 — A retopology tool built that will create a quad remesh of the selected object. This addon implement two open-source algorithms for remeshing of polygon mesh objects: Instant Meshes and QuadriFlow.

For installation instructions, see the download page.
Quad remesherAuthor: Shekn @si-community
last updated July 2021 — A retopology tool built that will create a quad remesh of the selected object.

See the download page for more information.

yashugan

Re: FESRetopo - retopology tool for Softimage

Post by yashugan » 12 Dec 2015, 12:37

Ok, thank for you help! I'lltake a look at the push solution ;)

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 12 Dec 2015, 20:41

Very small update: version 0.75. Download here: FESRetopo 0.75

What's new:
1. In retopology process if you use "Move points" tool or "Create points" tool, you can switch between these two modes by middle mouse click.
2. Add new mode for retopology in Softimage plugin "Start retopo with in-scene mesh". After clicking this button you should select an object in the scene and then retopology process begin with selected object as reference.
3. Add two canvas nodes: FESRetopo and FESExport. You can use these nodes in canvas for manually setup the retopology tool (in Maya or Standalone application, for example). There are some problems with integration of FabricEngine in Softimage, so, the plugin for Softimage use the legacy splice operators.

Installation process remains the same: copy the folder "FESRetopo" to folder with external modules for FabricEngine and install *.xsiaddon addon as usual.

Known Issues:
1. Canvas standalone application does not catch some mouse events. For example, you can not snap points in this application.
2. If you start retopo process with pre-build geometry and does not create any new polygon (only move points), polygons in result mesh will be shuffled.
3. Not a bug, but the tool is not so fast as desired. I tested the tool in production (in my personal small production). It works satisfactorily when your constructed mesh have near 1-4k polygons. With more polygons some delays become noticeably.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 13 Dec 2015, 09:53

Thank! i tryed it but i retur me a error after that i picked a mesh in the scene. I attach it here, so you can tell me please where i'm doing wrong. Thank you!

# - [line 131 in C:\Users\Administrator\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP2\Addons\FESRetopo\Application\Plugins\FESRetopo.py]
# ERROR : Property Page Script Logic Error (Python ActiveX Scripting Engine)
# ERROR : [129] if len(Application.Selection) > 0 and selObj.FullName == Application.Selection(0).FullName:
# ERROR : [130] Application.LogMessage("Use another object as reference from scene.")
# ERROR : >[131] else:
# ERROR : [132] oProp.Parameters("isUseInSceneMesh").Value = True
# ERROR : [133] oProp.Parameters("inSceneMesh").Value = selObj.FullName
# ERROR : [134] FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked()
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
# File "<Script Block 2>", line 132, in FESRetopo_startRetopoInSceneMesh_OnClicked
# oProp.Parameters("isUseInSceneMesh").Value = True
# AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Value'
#

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 13 Dec 2015, 12:46

Hm, I really don't know why it happens. I install the fresh Softimage 2014 SP2 and install the FESRetopo plugin. All works correctly. Your error may appear in the following situations:

1. You install new version of the plugin, but open the scene with old version. I mean that every time you open FESRetopo window, Softimage add property to the root object of the scene (with the name "FESRetopo"). And this property can be created by old version of the plugin.

2. This is unlikely, but when you pick an object from the scene the window with FESRetopo property is not in focus of the system. So, the plugin can not take some values from this property page.

Try to uninstall the plugin, restart Softimage, install new version, restart Softimage again and create new scene in new project.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 13 Dec 2015, 13:00

ok thank you! i ret immediately. ;)

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 13 Dec 2015, 13:11

I unistalled old one.
resterted, installed new one.
Restrted. Created a sphere.
And tryed to retopo on it, but it turn back me this error, apologize me for the problmes, if i'm becaming a stalker don't worry leave the plug in like is and ignore me. ;)

# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Fabric Engine version 1.15.3
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Licensed for individual use only.
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Prepended user-specified extension path F:\Archivio Downloads\00 - XSI varie\01 - XSI essenziali\FES_retopo\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\Exts
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Registered extensions {Alembic:1.0.0,AlembicWrapper:1.1.0,Animation:1.0.1,Bullet:1.0.1,BulletHelpers:1.0.0,Characters:1.0.2,Containers:1.0.1,FabricSynchronization:1.0.2,Fbx:1.0.1,FbxHelpers:1.0.1,FileIO:1.1.0,Geometry:1.1.0,Images:1.0.1,InlineDrawing:1.1.0,JSON:1.0.0,Manipulation:1.0.2,Math:1.0.1,FabricOBJ:1.0.0,FabricOGL:1.0.0,OpenImageIO:1.0.2,Parameters:1.0.0,Singletons:1.0.0,SpliceInterfaces:1.0.1,FabricStatistics:1.0.2,Util:1.0.1,FabricVIDEO:1.0.0} in directory: F:\Archivio Downloads\00 - XSI varie\01 - XSI essenziali\FES_retopo\FabricEngine-1.15.3-Windows-x86_64\Exts
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Registered extension {FESRetopo} in directory: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2014 SP2\Addons\FESRetopo
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Math in 72.275ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FabricSynchronization in 18.569ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FabricStatistics in 48.608ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Util in 33.312ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Containers in 342.606ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Geometry in 679.340ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Singletons in 10.504ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FabricOGL in 46.489ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Parameters in 93.038ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension OpenImageIO in 25.358ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FileIO in 34.779ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension SpliceInterfaces in 11.623ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension InlineDrawing in 555.155ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension JSON in 29.351ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension Manipulation in 185.381ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FabricOBJ in 17.834ms (cached)
# INFO : [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Loaded extension FESRetopo in 115.176ms (cached)
# ERROR : [Splice] compile failed
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': Calling function 'FESDrawRef':
# ERROR : [KL Compiler error]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': no resolution for function FESDrawRef(io PolygonMesh, String, io DrawingHandle, Boolean, Boolean, PolygonMesh)
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': Candidates are:
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': function FESDrawRef(io PolygonMesh, String, io DrawingHandle, Boolean, Boolean)
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': Rejected because number of parameters does not match number of arguments
# ERROR : [Splice] binding 0: operator 'retopoOp': compile failed
# ERROR : 21000-CUST-fabricSplice - Unspecified failure
Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"C:/Users/Administrator/Autodesk/Softimage_2014_SP2/Addons/FESRetopo/Application/Plugins/FESRetopo_inScene.splice\", \"hideUI\": true,\"inSceneMesh\":\"sphere.polymsh\",\"mesh0\":\"sphere_Retopo.polymsh\"}", "", "")
# File "<Script Block 2>", line 134, in FESRetopo_startRetopoInSceneMesh_OnClicked
# FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked()
# File "<Script Block 2>", line 204, in FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked
# Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"" + p.replace('\\', '/') + "\", \"hideUI\": true,\"inSceneMesh\":\"" + oProp.Parameters("inSceneMesh").Value + ".polymsh\",\"mesh0\":\"" + mesh.FullName + ".polymsh\"}", "", "")
# File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in fabricSplice
# COM Error: Unspecified error (0x-7fffbffb) - [line 203 in C:\Users\Administrator\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP2\Addons\FESRetopo\Application\Plugins\FESRetopo.py]
# ERROR : Property Page Script Logic Error (Python ActiveX Scripting Engine)
# ERROR : [201] if oProp.Parameters("isLegacySplice").Value:
# ERROR : [202] if oProp.Parameters("isUseInSceneMesh").Value:
# ERROR : >[203] p = os.path.normpath(os.path.join(Application.Plugins("FESRetopoPlugin").OriginPath, "FESRetopo_inScene.splice"))
# ERROR : [204] Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"" + p.replace('\\', '/') + "\", \"hideUI\": true,\"inSceneMesh\":\"" + oProp.Parameters("inSceneMesh").Value + ".polymsh\",\"mesh0\":\"" + mesh.FullName + ".polymsh\"}", "", "")
# ERROR : [205] else:
# ERROR : [206] p = os.path.normpath(os.path.join(Application.Plugins("FESRetopoPlugin").OriginPath, "FESRetopo.splice"))
# File "<Script Block 2>", line 134, in FESRetopo_startRetopoInSceneMesh_OnClicked
# FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked()
# File "<Script Block 2>", line 204, in FESRetopo_startRetopo_OnClicked
# Application.fabricSplice("loadSplice", "{\"fileName\":\"" + p.replace('\\', '/') + "\", \"hideUI\": true,\"inSceneMesh\":\"" + oProp.Parameters("inSceneMesh").Value + ".polymsh\",\"mesh0\":\"" + mesh.FullName + ".polymsh\"}", "", "")
# File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in fabricSplice
# COM Error: Unspecified error (0x-7fffbffb)
# ERROR : [Splice] softimageGraph_DGNode: cannot execute because of errors

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 13 Dec 2015, 13:18

# ERROR : [KL Compiler error]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': no resolution for function FESDrawRef(io PolygonMesh, String, io DrawingHandle, Boolean, Boolean, PolygonMesh)
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': Candidates are:
# INFO : [KL Compiler ]: line 24, op 'retopoOp.kl': function FESDrawRef(io PolygonMesh, String, io DrawingHandle, Boolean, Boolean)

This error says that you are not update FESRetopo module files. Your system see the old version of extension, but you need the new one. By extension I mean *.kl files.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 16 Dec 2015, 00:11

for now i couldn't make it work in any mode. I'll try the next two days with the new pc.
Thank for your work any way! ;)

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 16 Dec 2015, 02:43

Hi Angel,
Can i have some question?
1 ➳ Is there a way to do same thing like this (a movie below)with FESRetopology?, i mean Bsurface in Blender it look quite fast
2 ➳ can i select a mesh already in scene like a starting point to retopology

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 16 Dec 2015, 16:54

1. If you mean the possibility to create mesh by drawing strokes over the mesh - no it is impossible. FESRetopo tool designed as simple tool for quick retopology of small models. If you would like to retopology complex model (like arm with hand and fingers) it will be better to use specialized software (ZRemesher, Topogun and so on).

2. Yes, it is possible. Select the mesh and start retopology process. Then this selected mesh will be used as starting point of low-poly mesh.

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 17 Dec 2015, 01:54

hi Angel,

Thank for that info, i'm so lazy to switch on another app when i use softimage :D

funky75

Post by funky75 » 25 Jan 2016, 18:24

Hi Guys,
my icons do not appear.. any reason?

Thank you

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 26 Jan 2016, 12:02

Icons should be placed to the folder "\icons\", which should be placed (this folder) near FESRetopo.py file. Names of these icons should be b1_a.png, b1_h.png, b1_p.png and so on. If you make manual setup of the tool, by using, for example, canvas-node, then you should enter the complete path to the folder with icons before you specified the hi-poly reference mesh.

funky75

Post by funky75 » 26 Jan 2016, 14:06

All is ok now.
Really great plugin!!

Thank you.

dreamco

Post by dreamco » 19 Jan 2018, 11:14

Hi guys,
Since the discontinuation of fabric engine, is there any other way i could try out this great addon. I've recently made the switch from 3dsmax and i really miss an equivalent tool max has offered me all this time (graphite tools).
Every help or insight will be much appreciated :)

rray

Post by rray » 20 Jan 2018, 15:55

Hey everybody,

if anyone knows something about whether it's OK to make Fabric Engine available as a download here, please let me know!

Cheers!
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024