OpenVDB to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

OpenVDB ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This is a Softimage ICE integration of the OpenVDB suite, Dreamworks Animation's volumetrics toolset which has been built around a new data structure for efficient storage and manipulation of big volumes. See openvdb_dreamworks.pdf for slides of a OpenVDB feature presentation.

Oleg Bliznuk, author of Exocortex's Implosia FX and Explosia FX has created this ICE adapter. His fluid simulator »Explosia FX« (free as a noncommercial version) can be used to create VDB files. OpenVDB ICE covers the essential features of the OpenVDB suite:

Mental Ray/Arnold shaders included: VDBGridReaderScalar VDBGridReaderVec3 VDBGridReaderInt VDBVolumeShaderSimple VDBBlackbody

Compounds included: Voxelize Geometry Voxelize Particles Get VDB Grid Set VDB Grid File Grid IO Add Noise Fogvolume Filter LevelSet Boolean Operations LevelSet Morphology VolumeFog Boolean Operations Advection Get Value at Coordinate Set Value at Coordinate Grid To Mesh Mesh To Grid Get Grid Data Particles To Grid Grid IO Fill Box Grid Change Grid Class Noise Advect Level Set Morphological Filters Rebuild LevelSet Resample Grid Transform Platonic Create Grid CSG Deep Copy Grid Morpher Polygonize Grid Solidify Level Set Create Velocity Field Display Grid Info Platonic Sphere Resize Container to Active Volume Visualize Grid Slice Visualize Scalar Grid Visualize Scalar Grid Slice Visualize Vector Grid Visualize Vector Grid Slice

For feedback and questions, visit the si-community thread. There's also some info there on how to interoperate with emFluid. Here is a demo video by the author and another video from the thread, created by Rob Chapman using only OpenVDB ICE nodes and rendered using the included openVDB arnold shaders. Requirements: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

local backup: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar

Mr.Core

OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by Mr.Core » 22 Dec 2013, 22:07

Hi All,
i made the initial openvdb plugin connector to Softimage, currently its version 0.8 because of not fully tested and can be buggy. Also, many tools from openvdb lib is not implemented yet. Many thanks to houdini connector authors and Steven Caron for snippets of code. What is the Openvdb and its capabilities you can see here:
http://www.openvdb.org/documentation/
And be sure to check out the coolest dreamwork pdf on the subject :-)
http://www.openvdb.org/download/openvdb_dreamworks.pdf

Here is my little test on rendering houdini's explosion inside of xsi with arnold:
https://vimeo.com/82154098

You can download plugin ( free for comm and noncomm purposes of course ) here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/371 ... e_v0.8.rar

The arnold shareds are compiled against sitoa 3.0, the sample scenes is for 2013 and up. The redistributable required as always http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30679

cheers
Attachments
cloudjpg.jpg

Daniel Brassard

Re: OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by Daniel Brassard » 23 Dec 2013, 03:55

Good job, well done.

Thanks for the plugin. I'll test it an give you feedback.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Dec 2013, 05:56

The Dreamworks PDF looks amazing. Can you tell in succint way what you think what should be the integration steps in Softimage?

I think LS animation to fog, Combining grids, volume stamping , volume deformation, particle surfacing seems most interesting, this only after a cursory look.

scaron

Post by scaron » 24 Dec 2013, 19:50

Bullit wrote:...Can you tell in succint way what you think what should be the integration steps in Softimage?
i don't follow, 'integration steps'? oleg did the integration of the library into ICE, you have the tools to manipulate volumes now.

wotty33

Post by wotty33 » 25 Dec 2013, 11:31

Fantastic toolset, thanks so much! Quick question: what's the correct Ice node combination to write vdb grid data out of ice (so you can read it back onto the shader). Found the io node but not sure what you plug it in to?

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 25 Dec 2013, 15:21

@wotty33
it's pretty straightforward, all what you need is to put some grid on input, set "Write" mode, specify your .vdb file name and name of your grid, and make it all evaluating. See the screenshot for example

@Bullit
I misunderstand this too, can you rephrase it please ?
Attachments
particles_tree.jpg

wotty33

Post by wotty33 » 25 Dec 2013, 16:43

Mr.Core wrote:@wotty33
it's pretty straightforward, all what you need is to put some grid on input, set "Write" mode, specify your .vdb file name and name of your grid, and make it all evaluating. See the screenshot
Thanks a lot! This is so useful. It's the perfect solution for a couple of shots I've got going at the moment. Now back to the turkey.(or veggie nut roast in my case)

Happy Christmas from the uk!

Cheers, Paul

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Dec 2013, 03:35

Also, many tools from openvdb lib is not implemented yet
Thanks for feedback. Following that quote i am thinking that some capabilities that appear in Dreamworks.pdf are missing.

telepatam

Post by telepatam » 26 Dec 2013, 10:07

amazing work so far, fluidy volumy stuff is what softimage needs the most especially on the rendering side.
---------------------
what is dead may never die :D

amr_helmy

Post by amr_helmy » 01 Jan 2014, 17:31

amazing work

i am new user to softimage
i cant find the vdb _ai shaders
i only find vdb has _mi shaders
how can i show the ai shaders

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 01 Jan 2014, 19:18

Shaders should be in rendertree no?

Ahmidou

Post by Ahmidou » 02 Jan 2014, 11:47

Great work Oleg, and thanks for sharing, this such a usefull tool.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 02 Jan 2014, 14:33

>>i am new user to softimage
>>i cant find the vdb _ai shaders
>>i only find vdb has _mi shaders
>>how can i show the ai shaders

attach please your plugin manager' state screenshot, screenshot with logged errors. Did the mi shaders work for you ? Did you extract the arnold shaders into the sitoa dir ?
Write me all your steps, otherwise I dont know what is going on

Rork

Post by Rork » 02 Jan 2014, 16:29

Also...
The arnold sharders are compiled against sitoa 3.0,
So unless you're running the latest beta core of Arnold, this is not going to work anyway.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

amr_helmy

Post by amr_helmy » 02 Jan 2014, 16:50

Mr.Core wrote:>>i am new user to softimage
>>i cant find the vdb _ai shaders
>>i only find vdb has _mi shaders
>>how can i show the ai shaders

attach please your plugin manager' state screenshot, screenshot with logged errors. Did the mi shaders work for you ? Did you extract the arnold shaders into the sitoa dir ?
Write me all your steps, otherwise I dont know what is going on

the mi shader doesnt work , and i followed the step and put the dll file in its place
here screen for arnold version and error that i got and plugin manger
thanks

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 02 Jan 2014, 17:27

well, seems like something is messed up, because i see warnings about conflicting versions. To be sure, delete all openvdb stuff ( workgroups with ice nodes\arnold shaders from the sitoa folder ). then, 1) redownload archive 2) unpack and connect the VDB2SI_WG folder in the plugin manager 3) unpack the "extractToSITOAdir" into the C:\Users\username\Autodesk\Softimage_XXX\Addons\SItoA\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64 4) restart XSI

also you need to have installed vs2012 redistributable

First of all, mental ray shaders ( mi ) must work even if the arnolds package is not found