OpenVDB to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

OpenVDB ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This is a Softimage ICE integration of the OpenVDB suite, Dreamworks Animation's volumetrics toolset which has been built around a new data structure for efficient storage and manipulation of big volumes. See openvdb_dreamworks.pdf for slides of a OpenVDB feature presentation.

Oleg Bliznuk, author of Exocortex's Implosia FX and Explosia FX has created this ICE adapter. His fluid simulator »Explosia FX« (free as a noncommercial version) can be used to create VDB files. OpenVDB ICE covers the essential features of the OpenVDB suite:

Mental Ray/Arnold shaders included: VDBGridReaderScalar VDBGridReaderVec3 VDBGridReaderInt VDBVolumeShaderSimple VDBBlackbody

Compounds included: Voxelize Geometry Voxelize Particles Get VDB Grid Set VDB Grid File Grid IO Add Noise Fogvolume Filter LevelSet Boolean Operations LevelSet Morphology VolumeFog Boolean Operations Advection Get Value at Coordinate Set Value at Coordinate Grid To Mesh Mesh To Grid Get Grid Data Particles To Grid Grid IO Fill Box Grid Change Grid Class Noise Advect Level Set Morphological Filters Rebuild LevelSet Resample Grid Transform Platonic Create Grid CSG Deep Copy Grid Morpher Polygonize Grid Solidify Level Set Create Velocity Field Display Grid Info Platonic Sphere Resize Container to Active Volume Visualize Grid Slice Visualize Scalar Grid Visualize Scalar Grid Slice Visualize Vector Grid Visualize Vector Grid Slice

For feedback and questions, visit the si-community thread. There's also some info there on how to interoperate with emFluid. Here is a demo video by the author and another video from the thread, created by Rob Chapman using only OpenVDB ICE nodes and rendered using the included openVDB arnold shaders. Requirements: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

local backup: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar

Bullit

Re: OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by Bullit » 23 Jun 2015, 22:31

So doesn't work with bin converted to VDB but work okay with all others? Maybe because it has to pass trough the OpenVDB Softimage voxelize?

https://support.solidangle.com/display/ ... so+shaders

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 23 Jun 2015, 22:38

will try that, thx.
but would make me wonder since SitoA has a volume shader/property for some time now:
https://support.solidangle.com/display/SItoAUG/Volume

but ill try! :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Jun 2015, 22:21

Okay :)

knekke

Post by knekke » 04 Jan 2016, 09:15

Did anyone try to build Oleg's openvdb_to_SI on linux yet?
I'm making good progress, but my c++ knowledge is very limited at best and I have to modify some stuff that seems to work when compiling on windows, but my gcc is throwing errors.
Here is the error I am getting now: http://pastebin.com/ptfYEV2D
I had a similar error with GetFileContentInfo.cpp and changing LLONG to long int seemed to fix it, but with the current problem I'm pretty lost...

Any ideas?

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 07 Jan 2016, 00:52

i have ported the plugin to linux(rh6/centos6), you can grab it here https://bitbucket.org/OlegBliznuk/openv ... /downloads
note that win version is updated too , compiled with visual studio 2015 to fix possible errors with win10 (if any, although i did no extensive testing on those builds )

the source is updated too, you can now simply install qtcreator and compile the plug in one click (since i copy pasted all required externals into the project)

knekke

Post by knekke » 07 Jan 2016, 09:07

AWESOME! Thanks a ton Oleg!!
The workgroup works perfectly on my system.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 10 Jan 2016, 23:37

hey :)
is there a way, to get color and density grids in one vdb file? its for that project here: http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6202

I have a simple pointcloud with color information and tried that way: https://xsisupport.files.wordpress.com/ ... envdb1.jpg
But there I get two files of course. That would not be a problem, but there is no way to read a second file with sitoa like in the example. The node does not work with actual SitoA.
Also the way how to write velocity into the grid would be nice.

thx alot!

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 12 Jan 2016, 12:37

unfortunately there is no way to store multiple grids in one file, in this connector

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 12 Jan 2016, 14:14

hey oleg :)

thx!

anyway - I gonna test your ExplosiaFX again, I think its even more easy to receive a stunning effect with that plugin and have the possibility to store more channels.

so, last test with the ICE only and the VDB Plugin, next will be with ExplosiaFX :D

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 12 Jan 2016, 14:36

Thanks for update on Win version Oleg.

knekke

Post by knekke » 16 Sep 2016, 11:43

Hi,

when I try to read in vdb smoke cache from Blender everything is messed up and I get a error message in the console:
unsupported VDB file format (expected version 222 or earlier, got version 223)

So, how hard would it be to port the ICE implementation to the latest openvdb version?
I might try it myself if I find the time, but given my limited skillset I will probably just burn some time without achieving anything :/

Any help would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 03 Apr 2017, 04:35

Guys I know this thread is kinda old, but just wondered how do you do this setup on SI 2014?
I installed this as workgroup. Do the import VDB but can´t render.
I´m using Redshift.
Any chance to read a tuto made on Arnold?

Thanks.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 03 Apr 2017, 05:32

are you able to render other .vdb files to delimit the problem? on openvdb.org are some examples.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 17 Aug 2017, 21:36

Hi

Is there anyone who found a solution working with Arnold 5 ?

Thanks
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

WilliamP

Post by WilliamP » 01 Jun 2018, 18:35

Mr.Core wrote: 07 Jan 2016, 00:52 i have ported the plugin to linux(rh6/centos6), you can grab it here https://bitbucket.org/OlegBliznuk/openv ... /downloads
note that win version is updated too , compiled with visual studio 2015 to fix possible errors with win10 (if any, although i did no extensive testing on those builds )

the source is updated too, you can now simply install qtcreator and compile the plug in one click (since i copy pasted all required externals into the project)
I'm arriving on the VDB scene very late and trying to make sense of the installation instructions. So I need to compile and install the openVDB source, and then your plugin will work in Softimage 2015? I've never compiled anything in my life, so know nothing about it. I did download qtcreator, but it is advising me that my kit is invalid, whatever that means. But is this something I need to do? I wish the whole openVDB thing came in as one plugin, just drag and drop. :-)

WilliamP

Post by WilliamP » 01 Jun 2018, 18:39

sirdavid32 wrote: 03 Apr 2017, 04:35 Guys I know this thread is kinda old, but just wondered how do you do this setup on SI 2014?
I installed this as workgroup. Do the import VDB but can´t render.
I´m using Redshift.
Any chance to read a tuto made on Arnold?

Thanks.
Did you ever get a clear set of instructions anywhere? I'm using 2015, but the various 'how to' sources just left me confused.