Resourcedump

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Get Closest Filtered pointsAuthor: Paul Smith
Disclaimer: This is from the resourcedump thread on si-community.com so »some restrictions may apply« (but usually don't)

A compound that gets ONLY the closest points in the current pointcloud/geometry that have a »true« boolean. It's much much faster than rifling through arrays. Hopefully someone will find this useful. It works by temporarily moving the filtered points up and away on the Y axis, then the remaining points look in the area where the filtered ones got moved to. Then filtered ones are moved back to their original location. The temporary moving of them is nothing to be concerned about because you wont see it and it doesnt affect simulation.

local backup: Get closest filtered points.xsicompound

rray

Re: Resourcedump

Post by rray » 20 Mar 2013, 01:01

from another thread:
... this assigns a random color (color at vertex property) for each UV island.

It's [strike]quite[/strike] very slow, so anytips on how to speed it up are quite welcome

(quick usage .. connect compound, pick "UVs" attribute from tproj, create color at vertices map, pick "Colors" attribute from that map, wait............................................, use color map lookup node in render tree to read from that map)

file: RandomColorByUVIsland.xsicompound
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Falam

Post by Falam » 20 Mar 2013, 02:17

Did you update it ? This is a nice tool, I passed the idea to RRay :)

rray

Post by rray » 20 Mar 2013, 02:37

No update there, didn't have the time. Yes credits for this idea go to you :)
[removed your fullquote]

Haimund

Post by Haimund » 10 May 2013, 18:44

Hi, thank you all for the sharing. :-bd

I have a question.
for the"whirlpool ", does anyone knows how to move the origin of the whirlpool? instead of move the mesh but keep the center in the <<0, 0, 0>>?
i mean when i try Tekano san's compound, there is a origin port, but when i move the null, instead move the center, it move the mesh... and for Matic's one, i just simply add a kine.global.pos to the pointposition, and got the same result.

is there a right way to do this?
or i can only move my camera to match it......> <

thank you.

Matic

Post by Matic » 10 May 2013, 23:38

Here you go Haimund, this is a v2 scene of the whirlpool deform with an exceedingly useful compound in it which can be used to apply deformations in a space local to the host geometry. The whirlpool and ridged turbulence nodes have been cleaned up and turned into proper compounds, too. In this image I've "tilted" the deformation a bit to illustrate this. The sphere shows the ridged turbulence applied as a deformer and that it is respecting the sphere's surface normals.

Basically when you deform geometry as Rob and I did in our earlier examples, the deformation is calculated relative to the global origin. But as you note, in practical use you really need those deformations to be in the space of the deformed object. The solution to this is to take all the points in your geometry and superimpose them with the origin (by multiplying the point positions with the inverse matrix of the objects center). You then calculate your deformations, and move them back to their relative positions (multiply the deformed points by the object's matrix.) It's a simple operation but can be a little tough to visualize at first...

The compound I mentioned simply performs the inverse matrix operation (ie moves all points as if the object was at the origin), then has an execute node (so you can plug in your deformation operations), and then reverses the matrix transformation to put the points back to be relative to the object's center. You can use it "after the fact" to perform this technique- if you try it on Tekano's scene it should work, too.

Here is a zip containing the revised scene plus the compounds:
Attachments
example_whirlpoolDeformer2.zip
example scene, softimage 2013, plus compounds
(247.53 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

Haimund

Post by Haimund » 11 May 2013, 02:21

thank you! THIS IS AWESOME! :D
i'm pretty bad at the kinematics and matrix things. :-B
and i'm trying to combine the wave-curl (http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... f=19&t=109)and this one to make a effect, but the funny thing is for wave-curl, you cannot move the mesh, otherwise you will get a mess. but u can move the null anywhere you want. and for this one before, you can only move the mesh to locate it......well, i better just keep everything in the world center and move my camera......

thank you, this is cool. :ympray:

Matic

Post by Matic » 11 May 2013, 03:23

I haven't messed with the wave curl compound, but there should be some significant similarity between it and the whirlpool deformer. You might try rotating the whirlpool deformer onto it's side and reducing the "funnel depth" value to near zero, then with a low number of turns the whirlpool ought to be working like a wave deform... Not in front of Softimage at the moment so I can't give it a try but I had it making some interesting seashell shapes and the like earlier. If you look inside the wave deformer you'll see you can hook up a null to place the deformer instead of entering SRT values, BTW.

Haimund

Post by Haimund » 11 May 2013, 03:33

wow...what can i say... :ymdaydream:

remind me this:http://vimeo.com/4697942
Attachments
untitle.png

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 17 Sep 2013, 13:46

a little test on terraforming.

uses high quality viewport.

feel free to improve or create presets!
Landscape.jpg
Scene
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Sep 2013, 22:16

Looks good. Is the scene only for 2014, i see your signature?

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 18 Sep 2013, 09:22

Is the scene only for 2014
yes

but i now included the shader and ice compound into the zip file. so you should be able to use it in older versions.
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 24 Sep 2013, 13:39

a small modification of the "Bezier Movement along Surfaces" compound. unfortunately i can't remember who was the author of this source...

anyway, you can now use the new compound to create strands by/through many surfaces.
strandThroughSurfaces.jpg
Cable through Surfaces.zip
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Last edited by caledonian_tartan on 24 Sep 2013, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Sep 2013, 15:27

Thanks, also for the non 2014 version.

rray

Post by rray » 05 Oct 2013, 23:01

Nice!! keep them coming!

forton

spherize

Post by forton » 13 Nov 2013, 12:29

Deformer that takes a null or group of nulls and pushes the objects points outside the nulls, nulls can also be rotated and scaled, can be useful for "muscle type" deformation or correcting volumes in characters etc.
spherize.jpg
Scenes.zip
(129.33 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 11 Dec 2013, 15:19

hello
i'm trying to get used to arrays. so after playing around a bit i got a "4 point 3d corner pin".
4 Point Corner Pin.xsicompound
(55.04 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
the downside is:
- only works for grids.
- you need to match the Resolution of the Grid and ICE compound manually. (is it really impossible to get or set the resolution from the geometry operator? i guess so...)
softimageCornerPin.jpg
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64