Image I\O From ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Image I/O from ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
Originally developed for testing his Implosia FX toolset, Mr. Core recently released these compounds that allow to import and export image (.BMP/.TIFF/.PNG/.JPG) and mesh files (.OBJ, UV not yet supported) within ICE.

For image handling, this package includes the Build PCloud from Image compound that converts the output array from the IFX Read Image node into a pointcloud, which can be further modified by ICE and then written back to an image file through the factory build array from set node plugged into IFX Write Image. This allows a PixelParticles-like workflow (See PixelParticles description further below) for doing for example image manipulations inside ICE.

The local backup archive contains all files collected from the si-community thread (see below) including some additional compounds by Fabricio Chamon which handle file name/format string conversions. To install, copy the .xsicompound files into the Data/Compounds folder of the USER or a workgroup/addon directory. The .dll file goes into the Plugins subfolder — demo scene file is included.

Related plugins: Pixel Particles, Image ICE Node

local backup: ImageIO_packed_1.0.zip

Mr.Core

Re: Image I\O From ICE

Post by Mr.Core » 18 Dec 2011, 15:25

Fabricio
That's really awesome example of usage! You boosts me to take a deeply look into it, because I didnt spent too much time with the image processing :)

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 18 Dec 2011, 17:32

Image processing with ICE? Aw, hell yeah! :-bd

Matic

Post by Matic » 18 Dec 2011, 18:22

This is fantastic. There are an incredible number of uses, we can use this in a way similar to how houdini users use chops in conjunction with particles etc. Fantastic!

Here's a selfish request, do you see any way to add .exr or .dpx I/O? It would be awesome to be able to do some operations on film plates with this.

Honestly, in the long run I think this will have more impact on ICE/VFX than anything you've written to date - and that's saying something. :)

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 18 Dec 2011, 18:37

I think I will add these format a little bit later as well as alpha channel :)
But I still think that it is more a toy than real tool because representation of each pixel as particle and work on this - it is very sloooow way

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 19 Dec 2011, 00:11

hang on a minute.. this means we can render image files using ICE, right? and can build the array of particles out of what a camera would see and write to an image sequence? who needs Mental Ray ?! ;)
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

blaxxun

Post by blaxxun » 25 Aug 2014, 11:26

Hello,

Its been a while on this thread, but i wonder if there is a way to make this plugin work with
Softimage 2014 SP2.

Softimage is crashing as soon as i plug the "IFX Read Image Node" into the "Generate 3D Grid Node"

Since iam researching on how to do a Terrain LOD i think that this plugin would be really important.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Aug 2014, 17:58

Sorry, but someone has to ask: did you install the prerequisite Visual C++ runtime.
I can't test this on 2014SP2 as I never installed that specific SP,
but I cannot reproduce the crash you describe on either 2014SP1 nor 2015.
Where does your ICE Tree "live"? On an empty PointCloud, where I believe it should?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

blaxxun

Post by blaxxun » 26 Aug 2014, 01:58

Hello,

Yes, i have

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable v10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Runtime v10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable v10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Runtime v10.0.40219

installed.

Also 2012 and 2013.

Also i created an empty PointCloud with ICE Tree.
So the ICE Tree lives IN the PointCloud.

When i check the link provided i end up with an older version of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable"
which i dont install since i have a newer one already installed.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Aug 2014, 10:51

Try installing the older one also. It doesn't make sense, but from my own experience IIRC it sometimes does help.

PS I don't say that IS "the" problem, it may however something you can relatively easily rule out... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!