Alembic managment addon

Announcements concerning cooperation, job offers or job requests
mirkoj

Alembic managment addon

Post by mirkoj » 03 Nov 2015, 08:01

Hello,
I was wondering if there is anyone available and capable of creating an alembic management addon.
We would discuss more in depth but in short here is goal:
1. On one side we have collection of characters
2. On another side there is collection of alembics for animation of the characters
Idea is to open up GUI inside, then from library of characters select characters and assign alembics for them, one or more in scene.
Addon would then import character models and attach their alembics.
Option to use both AD and Crate alembic would be great,
This is really idea in rough, maybe there is something like that already existing but if not i would talk with someone capable of creating it.
Thanks

BenR

Re: Alembic managment addon

Post by BenR » 03 Nov 2015, 17:58

Hi Mirko. I might be able to help you depending on your time goal. One idea that occurs to me is whether Fabric might be a useful platform to build this on. It comes with an Alembic extension and then the Alembic browser could be Spliced into Softimage or other applications as needed. Anyway, just a thought.
Ben

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 03 Nov 2015, 18:08

well honestly what ever works.
what had in mind is to fund developing of addon and would later release it for free for others to use as well, if that is ok with developer ofc.
It would be useful one.

BenR

Post by BenR » 03 Nov 2015, 18:22

Sounds interesting. Do you have any more details of the requirements? Is there a deadline you would need it by for a project?

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 03 Nov 2015, 19:29

well not really. I'm finishing something right now where it could be useful but there will be chance to use it later as well so I figured maybe it si possible to get something nice and ready to add to Si toolbox, so no real deadline or anything just figured it would be good to have something like that.
so far I have that basic idea it definitely need some thinking through to have clear outline.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 03 Nov 2015, 20:25

I've done this work before. It really comes down to how you export the alembics to begin with because you have to remap the paths that are exported. I always export as a flat hierarchy of meshes so that I just need to search 1 level. Though in Maya this is problematic as you can have nested objects with the same name. Though that can be managed through pipeline tools. If you make this an open source repo I can probably contribute a bit.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 03 Nov 2015, 21:58

idea is definitely to release it for use later. it just happens that there is chance to et some funding soon that I would like to use for developing this tool as well.
I could use it in daily work, and probably a lot of others as well.
So any help is great, as honestly I have rough idea what would help me in daily work like that . Now there is ton of hidden things that I'm probably not aware at all.
So any input and suggestions is welcomed as well.
One thing also would be good to have some idea of development cost so that I can check into budgets too before promising too much :)
But at the end to have nice models and alembics manager is the goal.