A New Moon

Comments on finished work
SGarnier

A New Moon

Post by SGarnier » 23 Nov 2018, 15:44

Hello community
(first post here, i do not saw any presentation thread, so hello to everyone)

I have been working on those images. It is finished but i might change them regarding feedback, there might be a lot to comment or critic, and i would like to have fresh eyes on them.
Those images are tests for a TV show scenario (6 episodes of 26 minutes), an ecological futuritic story about bringing an asteroid into earth orbit.
Nothing is done and signed yet, i only worked with the two scenarists for now.
They are not actual pre-production work, more like free research. I was looking for art direction as i made it, it should be probably much more realistic, more contrasted and less colored, but that's it for now.

All is made with good old softimage\mental ray\ photoshop. All pictures, and some others related are here: https://www.artstation.com/seb-garnier

Draise

Re: A New Moon

Post by Draise » 24 Nov 2018, 00:49

Great concept! And nice work. It would be terrifying to bring in an asteroid. If something goes wrong, we would go through another extinction event!

SGarnier

Re: A New Moon

Post by SGarnier » 24 Nov 2018, 10:59

Thanks. Yes it would be terrible, this asteroid is a major threat above our planet in this story:
the company who bring it back from the asteroid belt choose a moon orbit, economycaly much more affordable than a lagrange point station. Because it is about ten time closer, cheaper to exploit. And if this rock happens to fall on Earth, that would be the end of many things.
And like any good science-fiction (i believe it is), this will be soon a real question. The space industry is only at the beginning, but there are allready some companies that look forward. Imagine one of those rocks, especialy the metallic ones that actually exist there, the value of metals within is about hundreds of billions dollars. So space industry could (and on a long trem perspective most probably will) be bigger than any business on Earth.

The concept is that the mission ship will be dismantle when reaching the asteroid, and its components will be reassembled on the asteroid itself:
the solar panels will be placed on a structure built by robots, and ionic propellers disposed on the opposite side.

I havent made images for all of this, i wish i could, but i lack of time.
I might make another image to show the final mining process with drones and cobots.