Ryoker - Apolar - Music Video

Comments on finished work
Draise

Ryoker - Apolar - Music Video

Post by Draise » 15 Mar 2016, 03:45

Ryoker - Apolar

Here is my last video I worked on. There were a lot of mistakes made and lessons learned. Legalities and production wise I think some of the lessons were priceless - concerning contracts, working with clients and other small details of the such. As a deficit, there also is a lot of animation I have to learn, and some small little compositing and texture glitches I need to be more aware of next time. I can't say I'm proud, but it is alright.

So the whole project had a total approximate of 1100 man hours invested. 800 of them were mine and 250 were of my illustrator Heyner who helped me with the concept art, designs, and 2D assets - not to mention the 2D animation of the Lineart, and the rest of the 50 hours were done by my brother Miguel and an old 3D student of mine Memo. The client Ryoker edited it. This was all done over a period of 4 months.

I hope to do a mini series of break down videos some time in the future.

Here are some random facts:
-there are an approximate 19,000 people in the crowd made of 840 color combinations based on 54 character combinations.
-the island is 7km in diameter and up to 750m in altitude
-the main character is 2 meters tall
-The Giants measure between 7.5 to 9 meters tall
-the render was done principally by GPU using Mach Studio Pro 2 (DirectX10) and OpenGL - the rest was Mental Ray in SI
-the Lineart and animatic was done with Blender: the grease pencil used in the VSE
-between the light stage and the factory, there were 150 volumetric lights or more used for GPU
-130 shots and 110,000 frames were produced with more than 500,000 frames rendered into passes
-average render time per frame: 12 seconds on 2 gig VRAM
-software used: Softimage, Blender, trueSpace, Krita, Fusión, Virtual Dub, Photoshop, Freestudio, Gimp
-sound effects done by Juan Pablo - Music by Alvaro Ramos (aka. Ryoker)
-Total size of the project: 150 gigs
-Preproduction duration was 2 months
-Size of the screenplay / shotscript was 35 pages
-Revisions of the script and shotscript was done 9 times but it still wasnt enough due to last minute revisions over production.
-this animation was originally planned to be done in 2D
-the terrain alone was over a million polygons.

Hope you enjoy!

Comments and critiques or tips on how you could have/would have/should have done the production would be great!

Rork

Re: Ryoker - Apolar - Music Video

Post by Rork » 15 Mar 2016, 20:50

No need to beat yourself up on those little things only you will see ;-)
We never have the time to finish it the way we want it.

It's an interesting style, and a nice change from all the 'hardcore' 3D.
With all the work done on this, I can only imagine it was a interesting time, especially with all the revisions on such a large script. ;)

Kudos!

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Draise

Re: Ryoker - Apolar - Music Video

Post by Draise » 17 Mar 2016, 19:42

Thanks Rob! Means a lot to me those comments. I did learn a lot.

Gotta keep making stuff eh!?