Silver Lining - Spitfire Mark XVI

Comments on finished work
ActionArt

Silver Lining - Spitfire Mark XVI

Post by ActionArt » 08 Mar 2012, 18:44

Well, this one is done and off to the print shop so I might as well move it here. Thanks to all those that helped in the WIP! Cheers!

[rimg=800]http://www.actionart.ca/images/SilverLiningWeb.jpg[/rimg]
Last edited by ActionArt on 08 Mar 2012, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Silver Lining - Spitfire Mark XVI

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Mar 2012, 22:21

It's a beautiful work... :-bd

Might I interest you in our new rimg-tags?
Not that its absolutely necessary or mandatory...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 08 Mar 2012, 23:28

Thanks! And thanks for the new tags (or new to me at least). :)

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 08 Mar 2012, 23:36

looks really good.
some things i would change.
i think the overall contrast in lighting could be stronger. foreground-->background should be more contrasty, also add some vignetting. the clouds needs more depth, more volume, better defined lighting/shadowing. and the smoke from the damaged plane needs to be way more volumic und thick. add lights to the fire and cannon fire effects. the reflections of the lights on the plane would bring in some nice details. ;)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 Mar 2012, 18:35

Here's a couple shots of the pilots signing. What an enjoyable time it was to visit with two top notch Spitfire aces for several hours. They've also flown F86 Sabres, F104 Starfighters and many others. Don (middle) had 15 victories in WWII

Doug, the pilot in this image (right) also shot down 2 Migs in Korea with a Sabre in addition to his 7 in WWII. The list of other aircraft they'd flown is amazing. I wish I'd written it down, I'll have to ask again. What a life!

Zafar Iqbal

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 17 Mar 2012, 04:42

Your own signed poster. Nice! :)
- Zafar Iqbal

Ethangar

Post by Ethangar » 17 Mar 2012, 13:40

Fantastic work! You should be very proud of the work that you did.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 19 Mar 2012, 19:04

Thanks Ethangar, I love doing these and the veterans are so happy to help and have one in the end. Now it's on to the next project with the pilot pictured in the middle. Back to the WIP section soon I guess :)

@ Zafar - more that just a poster for me ;) These are art prints that go on sale in a number of galleries around here. I'm happy to say this one is selling very well so far. Off to a good start.

@ Kzin - Thanks very much for the tips, all good ideas but this one already went to print. In this case I don't want more contrast in the clouds for two reasons. One, it won't print well and this is destined for print, and two, I don't want the clouds drawing attention away from the real action in front. They are a background, not the focus of the story and I don't want vignetting on this piece.

Smoke and explosions are like snowflakes, no two the same. In this case it's just initial cannon shell strikes so I don't want thinker smoke. The explosion would look different a fraction of a second later as it expands. Again, the smoke can easily become very dominant and become the center of attention which I don't want.

The reflections of the muzzle flashes and exhaust are there but are reflecting off of quite sooty areas of the AC so it is realistically very subtle. I tried adding some like you said but it looks a bit out of place to me.

Well, I better get back to work, these guys aren't getting any younger and the other pilot's going to be calling me wondering where his is :-s