kitchen shot

Comments on finished work
Kzin

Re: kitchen shot

Post by Kzin » 08 Mar 2012, 23:35

gustavoeb wrote:Nice results Kazin :)
would be great if you could also do a render in 720 or 1080p with your settings.
i will make an additionel rendertest the next hours in 1080p with reduced max value from 1600 to 800. quality loss should not be that big, lets see whats possible, rendertime wise. ;)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 09 Mar 2012, 00:04

I've relighted the scene and worked on it. Using min1 max 1000 quality 20 and cutoff 0.01.
Gauss filter 2, light samples from portal light at 9. All glossy samples at 1, except the main metals with are 2 and 3. Rendertime is not that bad, i'll post the result in a few, finishing rendering at 1600x900.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, getting better.

Max

edit:

here is the render, took 2 hours and half

pretty satisfied with the time/quality, gonna try with lights and a night shot.
I think gauss 2 is a bit too blurred for my taste, its losing eye focus, might try 1.6 or 1.8.
Thanks again for help :)

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 09 Mar 2012, 09:08

looks nice and rendertime is good.
you are right, it could be a bit sharper in the middle where your pots are.
are you sure you need 9 sample for the portal? because you have alot of glossi surfaces on which you dont see the shadows in that detail that you would miss some shadow samples.
also, have you tryed to also use only 1 sample for the main metal? from my few tests with your scene i did, the best quality is the 1 sample approach with such high aa values.
i am aksing because i want to get sure that you tested it and the settings you used are the best solution for this scene.
because you take away the decision from unifed where more samples should be placed. 9 area samples means mr will render these 9 samples minimum for every shadow effect. if you set it to 2 or 1, mr will render only these samples as minimum and decide where more should be placed (mr will do this also for 9 samples if needed, but with only 2 the error estimation will start earlier). so in your example its possible that you render 9 samples for shadows but 3 or 4 would be enough. and shadow rays are expensive to calculate, so its better to use only the minimum smaples you really need. ;)

Magog

Post by Magog » 09 Mar 2012, 09:42

Excellent!!! :-bd

Ebbravo Max! :D