Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Comments on finished work
nas

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Post by nas » 09 Jul 2009, 10:50

Hi All,
This car was modeled and rendered in Autodesk Softimage 7.5, compositing was also done in the FXtree within Softimage... The process involved about 15-20 passes. Was made in any spare time i had at home.
Special thanks to my work colleagues for helpful crits and comments. Any other suggestions are welcome...

Some extra images:
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Attachments
Studio_0006_03.jpg
Studio_0006_03.jpg (250.2 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
Nothing's too difficult to achieve, it just takes longer...

Grubber

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Post by Grubber » 09 Jul 2009, 11:58

Something went wrong with your links to images. But I saw a lot of them on XSIBase. I said it there, I'll say it here: Great work! :-bd

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jul 2009, 12:05

I've edited your post to show all the images ("correctly", I hope) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

nas

Post by nas » 09 Jul 2009, 12:44

Thanks Hirazi Blue,
Every Website has it's own way of uploading content, looks like i got this one a bit wrong. thanks again. :)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 09 Jul 2009, 13:43

just wow .....
any chance you can share some of your render tree materials ?
Really stunning..

nas

Post by nas » 09 Jul 2009, 15:39

90% of the materials are the architectural shader, things like the chrome are just lamberts with high reflectivity.

nas

Post by nas » 09 Jul 2009, 18:48

Some wires n clay....
Some people on the other forums had trouble with 'dodgy popups' when pressing the next button on the links, rather open the links individually, thanks.

ImageImageImageImage ImageImage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jul 2009, 20:00

In my previous post I was so totally preoccupied by wanting to be a good moderator 8-} ,
that I totally forgot to praise you for the actual work you've done. :-bd
Do you have any kind of estimate, how long it took you from start to finish?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

nas

Post by nas » 09 Jul 2009, 20:14

Thanks,
I started in February, progress was really slow. I think by march i had the hood and front bumper modeled, i was struggling to find motivation and like all projects it feels like you're going nowhere slowly. It hit really fast after that tho and the rest fell into place after completing the basic exterior. So round about 5 months after hours, lost a lot of sleep...

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 10 Jul 2009, 09:49

really really amazing.... only a thing: i noticed that the floor looks grain... it's your choice or it's a rendering issue?

can you post a FxTree view? i'm curious to see the compositing :D

nas

Post by nas » 10 Jul 2009, 10:05

The FXtree is huge. annoyingly, i never intended it to be complicated. You initially just have a diffuse, bgd,shadow and occlusion pass to comp, but then theres masking issues, transparency issues, reflective issues and it just grows into a monster that only the user understands... id rather not post it. The only thing i can say is that the more elements you have broken up - diffuse separate to reflection, interior separate to exterior - the easier it is to control it in post, this saves on re-rendering whole sections so instead you're just re-rendering an annoying little geometry crash in the windscreen and not the whole car...As far as the noise goes, it was a personal choice to put it there, it looks worse on the lower quality jpeg on this site than it does on the outsourced uncompressed jpeg links.

If you look at transformers2, each shot had roughly anything from 50-90 passes, it's so intense for the compositors but, that's because each frame took like 70 hours to render, so render tests and re -renders are out the window(i'm supposing?) breaking it up gives more control to fix issues...

Deracus

Post by Deracus » 10 Jul 2009, 11:44

it´s definitely a great piece of art!
Worth a Header-Thumbnail ;)

I share you thoughts about the compo-approach. It took me some time to get into it, but now i cant understand, how you could do without.
Re-Rendering sucks and it´s too timeconsuming most of the time...so better prepare the scene with masks and different passes and you are free to change almost everything in post...that rocks and isn´t that complicated.
Great, that your work also shows, that this approach is the right way to go :)

schyzomaniac

Post by schyzomaniac » 10 Jul 2009, 18:10

Really nice renders! Can you share some of your materials and lighting setups?

cheers,
Daniel

farhaad_yousefi

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 14 Jul 2009, 15:01

nice work but a little too much clean.. ;)

neonbulbs

Post by neonbulbs » 09 Sep 2009, 06:18

This is really awesome. Do you mind sharing tips and tricks on how to divide the car materials into passes?

And again :-bd

Cheers

nas

Post by nas » 10 Sep 2009, 12:57

Xsi in my opinion has the best system for splitting up a scene. On my car for example if i want the car paint on its own i select all the objects with the red paint material and within the current pass select to make a new partition. We now have the carpaint objects alone in the new partition. Apply an override to the background partition turning off primary rays. In your pass options add extra channels such as reflection,diffuse, ambient(for FG) and watever else you think you might need, this way when you render your main pass xsi automatically spits out the above mentioned channels separately at no extra render cost...You'd probably have to render a mask as well to cut out the paint from the other passes - again making a partition , applying constant white to the carpaint partition and constant black to background objects partition... there may be different ways of doing all of this(im not a master) but it's a good start, hope that helps :)