Softimage Dark skin early WIP

Comments on work in progress
juanloredo

Softimage Dark skin early WIP

Post by juanloredo » 24 Dec 2017, 20:46

Hi All, I just want to share an image of a dark skin for Softimage's interface I'm working on. It's kind of a long shot, but will see how far I can take this.

As you know, Softimage's gray "skin" is made up a lot of separated images store in the resources of the .dll and .exe files in the application/bin folder, 83 of those files to be precise (I have already identify "all" the files that contain some sort of graphic resource, bitmap,cursors or icons) If the whole interface was made up of only images I would feel confident that eventually I could get this working, however, there are element that are not images like : Text, scroll bars, dialog boxes, tables. I have no idea how to modify this elements or if it is even possible to change them. :-??

Anyways, here is an image from photoshop, not in the program yet. :-q
XSI_Dark_UI.png

Comments, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

rray

Re: Softimage Dark skin early WIP

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2017, 21:11

Hey, that's looking really cool :-bd

I started doing the same thing a while ago, was planning on writing some generic dll/exe-color adjustment tool to get most of the work done automatically.
But got stuck in research... wasn't even able to find the main grey background color... even looked for hex representation of that color in all possible dll files, changed them, but never got any color change.

Fingers crossed a few users here might still have code access and could drop a hint *-:)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Draise

Post by Draise » 25 Dec 2017, 17:29

Softimage 2018

Hope you can figure it out..

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 26 Dec 2017, 05:21

Looks cool indeed!
rray wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 21:11 I started doing the same thing a while ago, was planning on writing some generic dll/exe-color adjustment tool to get most of the work done automatically.
But got stuck in research... wasn't even able to find the main grey background color... even looked for hex representation of that color in all possible dll files, changed them, but never got any color change.

Fingers crossed a few users here might still have code access and could drop a hint *-:)

Lol I alos did exactyle the same too.. including the searching of background hex color values in all binaries.

I eventually settled for making like a new skin with the light gray BG,
as you said, but I would love for it to be possible to somehow find and modify that single value (or multipe instances of that single color value)

if we cant find hex values, could there possibly be another way to approach that?

I'll post pics of the lat time I worked on it when I get home.. Cheers!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 27 Dec 2017, 01:28

Im preety familar with the original but i could use a dark theme in difficult hours, suggestion to make some enabled keys in the right panel orange kinda like zbrush.
That could help to catch with the peripheral vision, what is enabled or not. Esp interested for COG Global local etc in transormations panel.

neochis

Post by neochis » 27 Dec 2017, 02:37

can't wait to try the new dark skin!

Draise

Post by Draise » 13 Feb 2018, 15:16

How goes the progress?? Figured anything out?

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 03 Jul 2020, 06:36

Seeing the softimage Bar like this makes it SUPER CLEAR, translating the SRT bar to Blender is piece of cake!
I am also interested on how to MOD softimage theme in SOFTIMAGE itself. Please keep us updated @juanloredo
Fantastic work!!

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 03 Jul 2020, 11:24

I wish there were something like Nirsoft Resources recompiler :D

With the Extractor app one can extract every GUI image out from the xsi.exe but how to put it back I also have no clue.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/resources_extract.html

Edit: Might this be the way?
https://www.gdgsoft.com/gconvert/help/M ... ns_EXE.htm

Edit2: Ok, this app seems to work only with icons
mod_xsi.JPG
mod_xsi.JPG (77.83 KiB) Viewed 5935 times

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 03 Jul 2020, 23:43

Thanks. At least some light in the matter. Pun intended.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 05 Jul 2020, 21:44

lol that first image lol

what might have been if XSI wasn't progressively ditched lol

would still like the option for light/dark ..... which I switch between frequently if possible depending on time of day, or what I'm doing ....

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 06 Jul 2020, 00:10

It's all prop (that first image) in photoshop as he mentions. But he also said he FOUND all corresponding .dll to switch some things around the UI (hopefully not the icons only) :D

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 06 Jul 2020, 17:09

Is it possible to change the UI size / scale fonts for big screen ?
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 11 Jul 2020, 06:59

Ok, good news:
You know Blender is open source with a general public license, right? Basically what it means is that once (anyone) has coded
an original addon code, then anyone else can keep adding and implementing a better version of that addon.
So I talked with a programmer to see if it could be possible to port the Softimage (right side) toolbar to Blender.
I am crossing my fingers on this project because if it solidifies, that means we can have 50% direct interaction with the tools that
we used to find onto the right side of the screen in Softimage, but in Blender.

Is this something that would appeal to you (general softimage user) if you were to go to Blender to model or work?

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 13 Jul 2020, 12:36

sirdavid32 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 06:59 Ok, good news:
You know Blender is open source with a general public license, right? Basically what it means is that once (anyone) has coded
an original addon code, then anyone else can keep adding and implementing a better version of that addon.
So I talked with a programmer to see if it could be possible to port the Softimage (right side) toolbar to Blender.
I am crossing my fingers on this project because if it solidifies, that means we can have 50% direct interaction with the tools that
we used to find onto the right side of the screen in Softimage, but in Blender.

Is this something that would appeal to you (general softimage user) if you were to go to Blender to model or work?
This definitely sounds interesting. Please keep us posted.

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 21 Jul 2020, 03:19

I would LOVE a true XSI layout clone for Blender. They one they have now only just changes minor things like colors but that's it. I wanna see a full UI and keymap clone. I'd switch to blender if that happened.