What are you working on?

Comments on work in progress
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

What are you working on?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Mar 2016, 12:45

Let us steal a good idea from CGTalk in a blatant attempt to generate more posts... :-
What are you currently working on and do you still use Softimage in the process
or did you already move to other software completely?
If you can't show anything (yet), nice descriptions of the work you are doing will have to suffice...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Daniel Brassard

Re: What are you working on?

Post by Daniel Brassard » 03 Mar 2016, 14:34

Currently split between:

Traditional artwork: painting and teaching watercolour and, pen & ink classes at the studio

Softimage: Early development of modeling a city based on Thom Tenery "Oblivion" skytower style/concept.

http://www.thomlab.com/Oblivion.htm

Maya: Tool programming using MEL, Python and or, C++. Also going through Jason Schleifer rigging masterclass and Tina O'Hailey Rig it Right! Maya Animation Rigging Concepts as I am slowly converting to Maya for that stuff.
Attachments
The witch and the lion.jpg
Catherine.jpg
Indigo Celeste.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 03 Mar 2016, 23:10

Nice work Daniel! And nice idea for a thread Hirazi.
I will stay in Soft for pretty long time, i recently got RS and im deeply satisfied.

Currently im working on this electronic device

This one, random testing

Dont mind the grain im lazy to render final quality :p

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Mar 2016, 00:20

I'm not doing 3d neither 2d all the time. At some point while ago, it become impossible to ask for XSI as everyday tool. Slowly but surely, a small community of 15 - 20 people in city of close to million people, began to dissipate, starting from 2008 and XSI 7. For whatever reason, doesn't really matter, today. While current work gives me a few more beans than hardcore 3d, don't believe this will take forever.
So yes, I'm learning Maya now, somehow love become after some time :). Ok now seriously, for now I think I know enough to do not forget after few months, about three 'ground' aspects, modeling, key framed animation, kinematics. Let's say that modeling fits to 'can go' rank - still not nicely organized as SI, looking from my SI eyes, but has more built-in tools. Key framing - really easy to switch, just a little bit nicer. Kinematics, or in other words, rigs, parenting, constraints, evaluation and all that - great positive surprise, at least looking from a point of view of half information I had in mind, based on old Maya versions. Especially node editor is great, what and how easy it can do with rigs. When it comes to kinematics, I think I'm completely 'XSI kid', not able to forgive anything lower than SI. Been unable to find anything even close in Modo, C4d and especially not Houdini (imho last one is total kinematics don't-know-what-to-say if I want to stay polite) I become more and more desperate in these years. I know it sounds silly, but once figured out the basics of Maya constraints, it was a night when I was sleeping happy as a small kid. To make it even more silly, all that brought by 'enemy', sometimes as an exact mirror (parenting - constraining sequence) - but, there *are* equivalents, instead of typical 'you don't need that' or no any answer when it comes to other apps.
Still there is much to learn, for example, 'legendary' :D Maya skin weighting does not seems to be disinformation :). Anyway I hope I'll be an usable Mayan to the end of this year. Regarding small home arsenal, most likely it will be Maya LT (has exactly the 'grounds' what I described). Will see which one I'll update as general app, Modo or Houdini Indie.
Of course there are emotional aspects of widely used app, no more a small community of us smart people against masses living into darkness and all that :), but, 'spiritual model' or better to say 'not any spiritual model' is something I already remember from Max, so no hard to fit.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 04 Mar 2016, 01:07

Actually been quite busy with softimage still... this year could see a switch though, will wait to see if the work stays out there. Waiting for Maya to finish its major changes before jumping in. Just finished rigging 10 cartoony chickens, and 2 different sets of kids. Now working on a short film for a young director funded through a media charity, 90 seconds of animation in 3 weeks. @-) These are a couple of the characters involved:

Draise

Post by Draise » 04 Mar 2016, 14:52

I have finished a project for a young DJ producer who wanted to make a 6 minute music video. Took about 1000 man hours of work. I did about 75 percent if it. Modeling in trueSpace. Particle placement in Blender. Rigging with mcGear and animation and all else in Softimage. Lighting and rendering was done in Machstudio Pro 2. Composition in Fusión 7 and Virtual Dub.

I'm now on holiday in France but tomorrow I return.

When I get back I may continue an old project: a shortfilm for kids with a project I started in an indue studio that went bankrupt - or do more freelance work. I'll be looking for more work/clients here too. I have two possible clients waiting for my return. But they will be simple projects like a 3D printed character from the music video and a screen stand showcase for a company from China and their distributor there in Colombia. One is more sure than the other.

Here are some images of the WIP.
Attachments
received_10156452664990578.jpeg
received_10153905536281649.jpeg
received_10153906583121649.jpeg

myara

Post by myara » 05 Mar 2016, 18:49

We are doing assets for an arcade game in Softimage 2014, and Maya 2014 and 2013 in other projects, and using Maya 2016 and Softimage 2014 internally. Personally I'm writing Python for Maya almost everyday and still modeling in Softimage 2014.

If everything goes fine, we'll be working in Softimage again for a PS4 game that would come out next Christmas.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 05 Mar 2016, 20:34

I'm working on couple tools to speedup my realtime workflow. One of them in preview video below:
https://vimeo.com/156542849
password: vhacd

Sorry for the low sound. I was recoding it at night and didn't wanted to wakeup anybody.

PS. Is there possibility to change profile nickname here?
Hirazi Blue wrote:Let us steal a good idea from CGTalk in ...
On Polycount we got similar topic called: "Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!" => http://polycount.com/discussion/68788/t ... ion#latest

PS. Actually there are 2 more "What are you working on" topics on Polycount, for 3D and 2D art + awesome Pixel Art topic.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2016, 21:11

I've sent you a PM... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 06 Mar 2016, 00:49

Well...

.. I am happy to use XSI still on a daily basis. I´am still using Version 7.01 for almost everything we need at the advertising and event agency I am working for. Over the last years I worked a lot with Modo and with Houdini and with newer Versions of Soft also .... but still coming back to my first Version of XSI for ist speed and versatility (and more and more just to prove that a 8 year old software can still pay your bills and make clients happy). We mainly do technical and achitectual visualisations and some motion graphics from time to time. Maybe I can show some of this work sometimes. In the meantime I will show some Images of a project I am currently working on in my free time. English Galeon, 16th century, all XSI 7 and far from beeing finished.
Attachments
Comp4_wire.1.jpg
Comp4_.1.jpg

juanloredo

Post by juanloredo » 14 Mar 2016, 04:34

Currently trying to finish some renders with Redshift of this mercedes SLS that I finished modeling one year ago (personal project). Unfortunately the job that has allowed me to buy my software and make the switch from the "dark side" :ar! to the good side, it's also taking all my time and energy. Wish I have more time to work and finish this stuff. On a side note, I notice a bug in 2015 R2 SP2. If you activate the option "Show Polymesh Polygon Info" at the same time of "Show Scene info" in the stats tab for a camera, the viewport becomes super slow (I'm using a quite heavy scene with 800 objects) with those options active I get like 4 fps, deactivating one of the two options gets the responsiveness back to 60fps (like in softimage 2014 SP2). Even if selecting one object and going to Isolate mode, it remains slow if the options are selected. This is probably most noticeable with large scenes I guess.
Working_rightnow.jpg

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 08 Apr 2016, 17:23

Inquisitors TIE Advanced Prototype from Star Wars Rebels:
Hidden content: [ Show ]
I'm still working on the back, I couldn't find enough reference for it online other than from the toy version but I don't want to use that.
I need to dig through the past episodes of Rebels to find a good view. :)

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 08 Apr 2016, 22:28

Here is my current project ;)
Phil

Last edited by wireframex on 09 Jun 2016, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 09 Apr 2016, 09:57

As a small indie team, we are currently working on a psychological horror, exploration game "Transcend" inspired by H.p. Lovecraft's works. Along with Maya, XSI also at the heart of development.
Attachments
Transcend_05.jpg
grdn.PNG

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 13 May 2016, 00:22

Did lot of hardware modeling, these days for an electronic device/system that controls intrustrial burner/boiler fans with feedback from exhaust. This has alot of components and too complex in reality i have to keep it simple :-ss I wish i had the time to make every last detail.I just started put components together.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 13 May 2016, 22:28

update