nodeway

Re: Floating Paradise

Post by nodeway » 30 Apr 2015, 23:49

Looks like Marvelous Designer.

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 19 Jun 2015, 17:45

My 200th post is a necro post, yeah! 8-}

Yes draise it's marvelous designer. Though I have omitted that character from the island :-? and have been doing some animations with him.

A good example of bad compositing. It's a 7 seconds animation. The tree and ferns and blah blah grows :D The cloud flows. And the water falls.
Attachments
FloatingIsland_175.jpg

NNois

Post by NNois » 20 Jun 2015, 00:28

Hi,
If i may, sometime we need a bit of critisism to be better. I think the global proportions of the island needs to be reworked.

Take an eye like this:
1. If you shoot a wide view (like the one you just post), your island doesn't look like a floating island but a giant tooth in the air, too heavy, too round. The roots doesn't help too because they follow too closely the "tooth" shape
-> take a breath and do some heavy photoshop deformation on that
2. If you shoot closely this time, maybe we can find the tree is too small, and more importantly, due to the heavyness of the rock you loose the floating spirit.
-> make the tree bigger, and do some heavy spacing between the roots and the rock, we need to "feel" the gravity, the floating, the air. (by the way on the small rocks we need to feel the gravity too)

;-)
Keep going,
Noël

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 20 Jun 2015, 04:09

Hi Noel I am new to camera works. What lens should I use 35 mm?

Okay I will put more space between the large and the smaller rocks.

Should I increase the size of the smaller rocks?

The tree was at first larger than right now, but I felt it made the island look tiny so I shrunk it.

I just wish to make the island look huge, in the 3d software itself without the use any photo manipulation.

I need good a cinematographer :D

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 20 Jun 2015, 10:56

I think NNois meant wide view, not wide camera (could be wrong).
Anyway, first of all, I'd try to decentralize the pic. You can simply follow the rule of thirds, it will be always better. Alternative it's portrait, where actor is in center, but for effective portrait, you want to 'loose the attractiveness' from center to margins, by some sort of vignetting. Here, I'll stay with rule of thirds.

To emphasize the floating, I'd go anywhere else of almost vertically aligned camera and actor. So, look down or look up. Wouldn't hurt to introduce more than one object - I hope it's not big deal to rotate the islands around vertical axis or, to remove central tree or few
details from some of islands.

Regarding wide camera angle, this is nice if you want to emphasize some huge thing with dispersed volume, like big aircraft, ship, typical example could be Star Ship Enterprise from Star Trek. For almost compact volume here, perhaps it's not so important. Narrow angle could give a nice illusion of looking from long distance, using telescope.

About clouds, make decision, are they playing important role of not. If they are 'actors' too - concentrate them around opposite lines of rule of third. If not, make them more uniform - in first screenshot, light blue randomized grid, plays role of dense layer of clouds, bellow. Or, just choose a plain sky with only a few, not so prominent clouds.

Make lighting more diverse, having a more clear direction. As an rule of thumb, anything is better than front light ( coming from camera).
Attachments
rulethirds.jpg

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 21 Jun 2015, 12:01

Hi! Mathaeus thanks for the tips. I have read the chapter on compositing in Lighting and Rendering book by Jeremy Birn. Why I forgot those is beyond me 8-}

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 22 Jun 2015, 14:25

Requesting for suggestions. Are any of these compositions any better?

Is there a way to lock the grid in Softimage, so I can use it as guides just like in the Rule of thirds?
Attachments
Capture_2.jpg
Capture_1.jpg

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 25 Jun 2015, 10:13

Hi everyone. This is what I have come up with 8-|

Moderator edit: fixed the image link - HB

Link to higher resolution render

https://goo.gl/photos/ZokJNqgxgiKs7ZTn7

Last edited by Caveman on 25 Jun 2015, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jun 2015, 10:53

A huge improvement IMHO. I like it very much... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 25 Jun 2015, 10:59

Hi Hirazi where can I find the link to my image that you used to fix my post earlier?

Sorry I think I broke your fix :-s

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 25 Jun 2015, 11:26

Hey Caveman that looks much better indeed!

Just the left side vines look a litl bit tense to mee when they come out of the big rock.

Just one idea for the rule of thirds, you can use a simple grid, place it nicely in front of cam, and parent the cam to it

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jun 2015, 11:43

Caveman wrote:Hi Hirazi where can I find the link to my image that you used to fix my post earlier?

Thanks for ultimately fixing it yourself. I messed up big time in not properly saving the original link... :ymblushing:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 25 Jun 2015, 12:15

Hirazi Blue wrote:
Caveman wrote:Hi Hirazi where can I find the link to my image that you used to fix my post earlier?

Thanks for ultimately fixing it yourself. I messed up big time in not properly saving the original link... :ymblushing:

I don't understand where did you get this link https://lh3.googleusercontentDOTcom?

Wish to know so next time I can do it on my own.