Caterpillar Shoes

Comments on work in progress
nathanlaud

Caterpillar Shoes

Post by nathanlaud » 03 Jun 2014, 10:53

I've been working on this film in my spare time for the last couple of years and would love to hear what people think. It's not finished yet but nearly there. I've still got the task of animating the butterfly emerging from the Chrysalis, should be fun!!!

Draise

Re: Caterpillar Shoes

Post by Draise » 03 Jun 2014, 19:05

That's impressive! loved it! And glad to see the animatic/storyboard at the end also. Keep it up! Very nice watch, and lovely compositions, you did a great job with the real footage... or was it real?

I aspire to do things like that someday! Lovely work. Great animation too. :D

nathanlaud

Post by nathanlaud » 03 Jun 2014, 19:58

Thanks Draise. Yes the backgrounds are all real but only still images. The writer I'm working with took loads of photographs and then we worked out the action around the images. I've put moves on the shots in post as well as adding some atmospheric effects like dust and sunlight just to bring them to life a little. I also got some movement into some of the leaves etc. by cutting them out and then projecting onto grids that I deformed as the insects walked along them.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 05 Jun 2014, 04:49

This is very nice ! I think you should use this to pitch a tv show for kids. I'll show it to my niece and tell you how she reacts.

nathanlaud

Post by nathanlaud » 05 Jun 2014, 10:20

Thanks. Yes we're pitching it to a few people at the moment so hopefully something will come from that. I hope your niece likes it!

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 05 Jun 2014, 10:40

Very impressive! Can't wait to see the final result!
I love when he says "miam" at the begining!!
The begining of the movie is outstanding, I was wondering if it was all CG!
One critic: in some shots, the 3D and photo mix is well done, but in other shots, it needs to be reworked.
Keep up the great work!! :-h
G

nathanlaud

Post by nathanlaud » 05 Jun 2014, 10:58

grendizer wrote:Very impressive! Can't wait to see the final result!
I love when he says "miam" at the begining!!
The begining of the movie is outstanding, I was wondering if it was all CG!
One critic: in some shots, the 3D and photo mix is well done, but in other shots, it needs to be reworked.
Keep up the great work!! :-h
G
Thank you very much. It would be good to know which shot's you think need some more work? I work on my own so it's always good to get someone else critic your work.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 05 Jun 2014, 17:12

nathanlaud wrote:Thanks. Yes we're pitching it to a few people at the moment so hopefully something will come from that. I hope your niece likes it!
I'm sure she will :)

I'm currently also in a pitching process and hopefully if we get the green light, my aim is to keep using Softimage, for the love of the software and for the love of its users. Do you plan to keep using Softimage if it goes through ?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, and while this is absolutely none of my business, please consider to keep Softimage as the main tool. It'll help keep to community alive. ^:)^

nathanlaud

Post by nathanlaud » 05 Jun 2014, 17:38

xsi_fanatic wrote:
nathanlaud wrote:Thanks. Yes we're pitching it to a few people at the moment so hopefully something will come from that. I hope your niece likes it!
I'm sure she will :)

I'm currently also in a pitching process and hopefully if we get the green light, my aim is to keep using Softimage, for the love of the software and for the love of its users. Do you plan to keep using Softimage if it goes through ?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, and while this is absolutely none of my business, please consider to keep Softimage as the main tool. It'll help keep to community alive. ^:)^
That was always the plan until Autodesk threw a spanner in the works #-o It's all I know though and I would want to be hands on with the production so very likely to stick with Softimage. Really comes down to time scales and whether I can assemble the talent using Soft, I hope so!