Kristinka Hair Tests

Comments on work in progress
Mathaeus

Re: Kristinka Hair Tests

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jun 2015, 16:31

adrencg wrote: By the way, what's the difference between the grouping and clumping nodes? I seem to get better results with grouping.
'Clump' refers to one triangle of emitter, it's fixed to that, should be 1:1 predictable. 'Group' is arbitrary, able to take more (but not less) than one triangle of emitter. However there's small chance for 'group' to do something undesired, let's say in case of your model, to create the group, passing through the shoulder. There is some mechanism to avoid that, but it could fail, in case of too large group.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 12 Jun 2015, 17:51

I set up everything again because I didn't like the way the hair was laying, and figured out what I did wrong the first time (the root twisting problem)...

I didn't realize the main emitter needed to be static. I removed the Gatored envelope and it worked correctly with nice, straight roots. The only issue I get now is if my Syflex pin has too little stiffness the roots relax too much and I get little kinks near the parting line. Have any ideas on what that might be?

I can control it by using a stiff pin, but it would be great if I can let the roots lay closer to the head without messing up the strands.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jun 2015, 21:28

adrencg wrote:
I can control it by using a stiff pin, but it would be great if I can let the roots lay closer to the head without messing up the strands.
I suppose you're using node 'kH3 Stick Hair To Mesh Extrusion 2' for attaching hair to stripes (this is only provided way). This node allows to gradually blend the shape driven by stripes, back to plain deformation of hair, driven by deformed copy of emitter mesh (it works if there's deformed copy of emitter, plugged in 'kh initialize... node, in ICE tree on emitter mesh - deformed copy has to be just *deformed*, plain SRT won't work). Let's say, to use 'kh strand fcurve' node for blending. So, it should be possible to have original shape around the roots, full simulation around the tips. I think entire setup for described, is in 'v32_syflex_done' sample.

Regarding simulation, to develop a nice layering around roots, I think we'll need much more of elements to simulate, than 200-700 stripes. Which won't be fast. Imho only feasible option is a sort of blending to styled shape, around roots. If you want to do this directly in sim, using Syflex 'smooth pin', should be better, as blend is performed directly by simulation engine.