Light and Sight

Comments on work in progress
thomashogben

Light and Sight

Post by thomashogben » 28 Jun 2013, 13:02

Hi everyone,

I have been studying a Msc at Dundee university part time for nearly 2 years and have covered many areas of 3D, but softimage/xsi really gripped me the most.

For my final assessment I am working on a project informed by the physics of light. I want to achieve a short film (2 minutes long) which showcases our understanding of light, but represented in a commercial style. I have collected research material with physicists about how they imagine light would look like if it could be scene, and the responses were a mixture of comments around "small bullets of swarming pieces".

So from there I have developed a scenario with a girl walking in the forest, where she encounters a moment where the world around her slows down a million million times, and the particles of light can be seen flooding around her. Interacting with her hand and eye.

From here I have been using texture mapped surface's, using images collected on location when filming the plates to inform the color, size and speed of the particles emitted from these surfaces.

I then control the movement of the particles with a second, non-rendered, control cloud emitted from a roughly modeled environment matching the real world location. This is all controlled using the simple move towards goal command.

From this I have started building the CG shots up.

Still a long way to go, but only around a months time left to complete the project.

Any comments or suggestions welcome, its been a really interesting journey, and I have learnt alot but still have a lot more to learn.

Draise

Re: Light and Sight

Post by Draise » 28 Jun 2013, 16:48

Interesting project! Beautiful really, heaps of potential. I hope you can crunch all the shots in the month's time, good luck.

thomashogben

Post by thomashogben » 13 Jul 2013, 07:21

I have now worked up a number of shots and in a position where it is now just tinkering with sound and some final changes before I have to deliver the project. Here is the results:

thomashogben

Post by thomashogben » 31 Jul 2013, 12:09

Further work on the project now, and it is starting to come together.

Sh009 breakdown

Sh013 breakdown

Draise

Post by Draise » 31 Jul 2013, 18:18

Looking very nice, very dreamy. Thanks for the quick breakdowns. How long is the total animation? Do you have a deadline?

rray

Post by rray » 31 Jul 2013, 18:41

Interesting look, very nicely done. good luck for the assessment
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

thomashogben

Post by thomashogben » 10 Aug 2013, 12:19

Hi guys,

The deadline was this week, and it all went fine thanks.

The full film is only 2mins 30secs.

Further breakdowns and all the background is now up here to: https://vimeo.com/channels/568932

Including:

Breakdown of the iris replacement shot.

This is a combination of 2 live action plates, retimed (slow motion) graded and comped within After Effects to replace iris and add look/feel to fit with wider piece.

Breakdown of the text simulations built for Light and Sight project.

Texture maps built in illustrator, exported as png files. Imported into Xsi as texture map for size matched grids. Invisible control cloud emitted from sphere to pull particles emitted from texture map.

Again, thank you for all the support and guidance on this forum, it really has been a huge help to me over the course of my project.

Final film launches at the Masters Degree show in Dundee from the 16th to the 24th of August - http://www.dundee.ac.uk/djcad/mastersshow/