Starcraft Ghost

Comments on work in progress
xsi_fanatic

Re: Starcraft Ghost

Post by xsi_fanatic » 08 May 2013, 07:19

ibra wrote:if anybody has a good idea for lighting and material shader please let me know cz i suck at that
Hi Ibra,

What kind of help do you need ? I'm a jobless Lighter, so I'm free to guide :D

ibra

Post by ibra » 08 May 2013, 07:30

Hey xsi fanatic!
Whoa that wolf brigade dude looks insanee!!! Haha so brutal
Eyyy a lighting guide too! Guide me into the light ... what u think of current lighting and how would you light it and do you know any good learning material for lighting?

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 08 May 2013, 07:50

ibra wrote:Hey xsi fanatic!
Whoa that wolf brigade dude looks insanee!!! Haha so brutal
Eyyy a lighting guide too! Guide me into the light ... what u think of current lighting and how would you light it and do you know any good learning material for lighting?
I think you have something good going and a lot of potential. The lighting and materials definitely need some work. Here are some basic principles to follow.

1- Every Light source, also known as a Key Light, emits Shadows and Specular High Lights.

2- I would begin by Lighting my scene / character with an overall plain Architectural material to the entire geometry via a new pass. This is just to get the basic black and white values of the geometry. If you're using Mental Ray, I would use Final Gathering for adding the bounce light effects.

3- I'd leave the materials for last, adjust them one by one, using visual references off the web to make them match. Make sure any textured images Color Profiles are switched from Linear to Automatic. This is inside the Texture Adjustment tab. This is important to bring out the true colors of the textures.

4- I would definitely add a Photographic Exposure to adjust the gammas. Or you could do this in post (just be sure to render it without gammas so it doesn't double the effect).

5- If you're rendering the character on his own, I would consider adding an Environment Lens shader to influence the colors. This will also help set the mood.
If you have a high res version of the red BG (hdr or .exr) in your comp progress, you can use that for your Environment Shader.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Cheers for now :D
XF

ibra

Post by ibra » 08 May 2013, 14:13

yo man thats sick ill get to that asap! thanks alot for the help!
maybe i can meet you on skype and we can check it out ;)

ibra

Post by ibra » 01 Jun 2013, 16:34

so i continued to render and made background with photoshop.
cheers!
Attachments
ghost_upload2.jpg

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 01 Jun 2013, 17:41

Sexy !

Grims

Post by Grims » 03 Jun 2013, 22:48

I like it a lot!!! The end result is amazing! ^:)^
The Future is Gloomy!

ibra

Post by ibra » 03 Jun 2013, 22:49

thanks guys !!!! :D

Contac

Post by Contac » 12 Aug 2013, 22:44

awesome work ! \m/

have you make a blockout of your model first or you model it frome scratch without a blockout ?

sorry my english is not so exposed at this time :ymblushing:

greetings, contac

ibra

Post by ibra » 12 Aug 2013, 23:03

thank you for your kind words :)
what do you mean by blockout?
i always make everything from scratch

Contac

Post by Contac » 12 Aug 2013, 23:17

i mean the workflow of your modeling. did you model a low polycount model for the first or you model all high count frome scratch ?

greetings, contac

ibra

Post by ibra » 12 Aug 2013, 23:31

i have a few phases:
phase 1 poly modelling without paying attention to the edge flow, only the big shapes and silhouette of the character... low poly blocking from scratch
phase 2 after i am satisfied with the low poly model, i start making the subdivided hires model with clean topology
phase 3 after i smooth everything out with correct edge flow i start adding extra details (small rivets, bolts, pipes, etc...)

i usually do phase 1 2 and 3 and finish off the head of any character (because i think its the most important part) and then i move on to the body

i dont draw much concept art ( i would love to :P), i just feel i can express myself more with sculpting/poly modelling

ibra

Post by ibra » 12 Aug 2013, 23:40

one of the tutorials that have really helped boost my understanding of polygon modeling a whole lot is Vitaly Bulgarov's tutorial. He shows your his workflow and how he does things. He is a real master of the art.

check him out:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/544/Character-Design-and-Modeling-for-Next-Gen-Games

Contac

Post by Contac » 12 Aug 2013, 23:48

awesome support, thank you soo mutch for your effort,time and support.

i use zbrush and i found the new zremesher options are amazing.

did you think it makes sense to sculpt a character frome scratch and after this remesh the topology with one click and import into xsi to model the armor ?

greetings, contac

ibra

Post by ibra » 13 Aug 2013, 00:03

well it can really be a viable option, as zbrush is a very powerful tool and also a very seductive program

in my honest opinion, im not a big fan of letting the computer do the topology for you, or even letting the computer do anything for you in that matter :P
i would stay away from zbrush sculpting and focus on pushing polygon modelling as much as you can before sending it to zbrush for sculpting.
in other words, model as much detail as possible in xsi (and i mean really model the hell out of your model) and ONLY THEN send to zbrush for micro details
practice edge loops and vertex/edge/polygon manipulation until your eye balls fall out of your cranium :D

oh and dont forget to try to draw some figure drawing and learn anatomy even if you are not good at drawing, when you draw the same model from different angles you really establish the forms and volumes in your mind

Contac

Post by Contac » 13 Aug 2013, 00:12

i work also on a character and i have found it is better to sculpt the head.
but when it comes to realistic face zbrush or mudbox is the best tool for it.
iam also not a fan of 3d scanner or one click solution.
i like to model more than sculpting, i dont like also hardsurface sculpting.

i try to model now in xsi but the workflow is a bit noise i found. i search a solution to extrude my edges without popup any settings window.

a workflow like in max you select your egde and with shift you can extrude this. i have make shortcut key in softimage but when i press the settings window open it.

any way to fix this without the window setting is open ?

greetings, contac