Oh look it is an animation (Frag!)

Comments on work in progress
sonictk

Oh look it is an animation (Frag!)

Post by sonictk » 22 Apr 2013, 11:59

That was done in Maya... :X But at least I modeled 90% of the assets (and did some of the uv mapping) in XSI, so I guess that counts too right?

I'm still polishing the animation and I need to fix some of the odd rendering issues (SSS is so annoying to control), but the actual school deadline is tomorrow, so...

If people here don't mind (since I know how touchy everyone is about Maya >_>), I'd like to also use this opportunity to ask more about animation workflow comparisons between Maya and XSI...right now I feel XSI is lacking in several areas compared to Maya in terms of animation tools, and I'm interested in finding out how people work around those issues (or if, more likely, there are features that XSI has that I'm not aware of).

For starters:

- Stacked curve display in the fcurve editor
- Something like abxPicker (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/character/c/abxpicker) for XSI would be nice instead of doing synoptics the old-fashioned way
- Viewport display performance, as mentioned (if fast playback cache supported textures this would be less of an issue)
- Less crash-y NURBS subdivision display mode
- Allow object view to have a scrubbable, independent timeline. Or allow tear-off viewports. Basically I want my animation at fullscreen on a 2nd monitor at all times that I can playback immediately; it's really nice to be able to have a seperate view that's set to no lights/unshaded so I can check silhouettes of my poses.
- Allow me to set panels to autohide. MOAR UI SPACEEE (seriously though, the documentation for customizing layouts to be autohiding is terrible. Totally off-putting when I want to get work done, you're making me look through arbitrary xml that I'll never use anywhere else in my life?!) BTW, if anyone could explain the autohide syntax to me, that'd be awesome :D (Was looking at the autohide layout, but while I can get my panel to show up when I hover over the activation zone, the panel never seems to be hidden in the first place)
- Faster performance when setting keys on multiple attributes (especially when keying all attributes)
- Motion trail plugin is nice, but to have an official one would be awesome :D

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head, I'll probably have more if people aren't annoyed by this. :X