Old Room

Comments on work in progress
Diurno

Re: Old Room

Post by Diurno » 19 Mar 2013, 12:31

Rork wrote:Hi,

Great!!

The idea is you share the scene with just the clay material. That way we can test rendertimes on the scene for a base comparison between cpu's.

The textured scene is for everybody to explore, the sky is the limit ;)

Let me know if you need help, pm me if necessary.

rob
ok, i can upload it with a clay override on the object partition (like in my scene) or i have to assign the clay material to every object?

In the while, can you share some thoughts about my workstation and the scene (if you like the texturing and the scene in the complex)?

Rork

Post by Rork » 19 Mar 2013, 12:37

Hi,

Just make a scene with two materials, the default one and the clay one. Assign the clay material to all the objects.
No need for separate passes, overrides and such.

As clean as possible ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

NNois

Post by NNois » 19 Mar 2013, 12:41

I think for just 2 sources you can test with lower values AND with disabling the Filter Size like
- 50rays
- 15points
- 0.1 presample Density
- 0 filter size
from that you need to keep with renders of 1 to 2 minutes for a semiHD and then you cranc up the values of rays

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 19 Mar 2013, 12:47

NNois wrote:I think for just 2 sources you can test with lower values AND with disabling the Filter Size like
- 50rays
- 15points
- 0.1 presample Density
- 0 filter size
from that you need to keep with renders of 1 to 2 minutes for a semiHD and then you cranc up the values of rays
mmm ok but that concern the FG, that take no longer than a couple of minutes, the very big time is taken by the rendering itself.

Btw, here's the link with the scene: http://we.tl/Gaihlm928c

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Mar 2013, 12:53

What cpu do you have?

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 19 Mar 2013, 12:56

i posted before, here:

Processor: i7-2600k , 3.40Ghz
Ram: 8gb
GPU: Nvidia GTX570- graphic clock 800mhz, memory clock 2000mhz, processor clock 1600mhz

NNois

Post by NNois » 19 Mar 2013, 13:37

Diurno wrote:
NNois wrote:mmm ok but that concern the FG, that take no longer than a couple of minutes, the very big time is taken by the rendering itself.

so you need to optimize the samples on you materials, one minute for FG and 20 for clay materials there's still something wrong, do you use glossy for your clay mats ?

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 19 Mar 2013, 13:43

NNois wrote:
Diurno wrote:
NNois wrote:mmm ok but that concern the FG, that take no longer than a couple of minutes, the very big time is taken by the rendering itself.

so you need to optimize the samples on you materials, one minute for FG and 20 for clay materials there's still something wrong, do you use glossy for your clay mats ?
no, the clay one is just a full white Lambert with black ambient. (the only material that is the finalized one is the lamp)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Mar 2013, 15:24

Well i did some tests and.. first you need to see how much "Clean" result you want to achieve, i'm usually pretty obsessed with noise/sampling in general, i want good looking smooth sampling, so in this case you have no choice with mental ray, render times go up.

Opening your scene i saw the render is set to "Scanline" you dont want this, in case you forgot, switch back to Raytracing, that alone halves the rendertimes.
Also what causes the most increase in render times in your scene is the lamp. Transparent/glossy glass with a light inside that casts shadow kills mental ray. If you hide that geometry and render you will see your rendertimes will be quite ok.

I did a render in 5 minutes hiding that lamp. Unfortunately if you want a decent smooth glossy/transparent surface you have 2 choices:
1) bruteforce approach = increase samples locally or using unified sampling
2) use the optimization tab and enable the reflection optimization, this will "fake" and blur out the glossy effect depending on how many samples you will use

another option could be to try bsdf shaders.

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 19 Mar 2013, 16:09

Maximus wrote:Well i did some tests and.. first you need to see how much "Clean" result you want to achieve, i'm usually pretty obsessed with noise/sampling in general, i want good looking smooth sampling, so in this case you have no choice with mental ray, render times go up.

Opening your scene i saw the render is set to "Scanline" you dont want this, in case you forgot, switch back to Raytracing, that alone halves the rendertimes.
Also what causes the most increase in render times in your scene is the lamp. Transparent/glossy glass with a light inside that casts shadow kills mental ray. If you hide that geometry and render you will see your rendertimes will be quite ok.

I did a render in 5 minutes hiding that lamp. Unfortunately if you want a decent smooth glossy/transparent surface you have 2 choices:
1) bruteforce approach = increase samples locally or using unified sampling
2) use the optimization tab and enable the reflection optimization, this will "fake" and blur out the glossy effect depending on how many samples you will use

another option could be to try bsdf shaders.
thanks a lot maximus for the suggestions.
I will correct what's was set wrong. For the lamp, it doesn't matter if the render crank up for a reason (in this case the lamp), my worries were bad settings that waste render time.