Andy Rig for Softimage

Comments on work in progress
ShaderOp

Andy Rig for Softimage

Post by ShaderOp » 19 Sep 2009, 08:40

Hi everyone.

I have been working on a rig based off the Andy Rig for Maya. It still needs a lot of work, but I think it's in a good enough shape at the moment to share it with the community.

A quick and dirty demo of the rig in action can be viewed here:

http://vimeo.com/6651771

And the rig itself can be downloaded here:

http://cid-485226d6dd07a5e2.skydrive.li ... 0%5E_2.zip

Please view the included readme file and remember to install the included plugin.

Looking forward to your comments.

owei
Administrator

Re: Andy Rig for Softimage

Post by owei » 19 Sep 2009, 08:57

Hey..!
That looks quite promising..! Very good work so far. Keep it up! As you are done with it, don´t hestitate to send it in for the downloadsection.. ;)
Thanks for sharing..!

cheers,
oliver

ShaderOp

Post by ShaderOp » 23 Sep 2009, 09:28

Thank you, Oliver. I'm glad you like it.

I'm still working on it, but I had to take a pit stop because I needed to code a couple of plug-ins to help with making the blend shapes for the face. With that out of the way, I should be able to continue working on the rig.

By the way, maybe someone else would find the plug-ins handy. You can read up on them and download them at this link:

http://shaderop.com/softimage/shape-tools/

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 23 Sep 2009, 10:49

The new Shape tools look really useful. Maybe you should plug them at XSIbase as well (then again, maybe you're already doing that)!

I look forward to trying out the rig too. I was considering doing the same thing with the Andy Rig just to have a nicer rig to enter 11secondclub competitions with. But I reckon you'll do a much better job! ;)

ShaderOp

Post by ShaderOp » 23 Sep 2009, 12:19

redmotion wrote: I look forward to trying out the rig too. I was considering doing the same thing with the Andy Rig just to have a nicer rig to enter 11secondclub competitions with. But I reckon you'll do a much better job! ;)
Thank you. You're far too kind :)

I don't have an account at XSIBase, or at least not yet. But even if I did, I wouldn't dare post the plug-ins there, since I have this sneaking suspicion that this can already be done natively in Softimage. In which case I would be making a fool out of myself. So I thought I would make myself a fool to a friendlier audience first.

I'm still hammering away at the Andy Rig. Probably a dozen or so blend shapes left to go.

By the way, thanks for plugging my web log. I could use some peer pressure to keep it updated :)

ShaderOp

Post by ShaderOp » 02 Mar 2011, 14:35

Hello again.

Wow. That was a long time ago. So I think I should explain why I haven't made any progress with Andy.

I have come to realize that good riggers need to be decent animators. And I'm not a decent animator by any means, so the work I did on Andy was largely in a vacuum, the rig had way too many issues, and I slowly gave up on the whole venture.

But I'm enrolled in an animation school at the moment, and while I still have a long way to go, I think they might be able to make an animator out of me eventually. And who knows? I might revisit Andy in the near future.

Please accept my apologies, everyone.

Phew. That was a load off my chest. Now the healing can begin :)