electric chair chamber - xsi, nuke. Personal project

Comments on work in progress
maze

Re: electric chair chamber - xsi, nuke. Personal project

Post by maze » 18 Sep 2012, 20:49

*quick question, does someone know if there is any compound to cap complex (messy) geo in ice?

ref: Image

thanks!

Edit: *bridge does a great job, a lot better than in max, because you can select multiple edges at once, although there are some holes left that bridge could not fill and was wondering if there was something else..

maze

Post by maze » 27 Oct 2013, 20:33

Hi there!

well well... its been quite a while since I posted something... !!

I ve been very busy on a project and didnt have too much time for personal stuff... but
well some weeks ago I decided to give up excuses and to put some time to finish this project...
and I will like to show you what I came up with, hopefully you like it !

Got to say that this project its been a great learning experience overall, and it showed me that
planning stuff in advance can save you tons of time later... (unfortunately
that wasn't the case here... thats why I know now... haha but well thats how we learn I guess..)

Lately I ven been picking up nuke and arnold more and more at work (doing lookdev / lighting in arnold and softimage)
So I though it would be a good idea to do it in arnold/nuke as I also had access to it at work and could advance a bit on my free time.

I can say that one of my biggest problems its being.... reducing rendering times while keeping low noise... I learned that Arnold is a beast
for outdoor shots with complex geo but that interiors can get tricky do pull out with many area lights and a closed environment...
sure there was a lot of room for proper optimization... and again that goes with planning in advance, but I was also learning it so it wasn't that
straight forward to start of, but ok here it goes..

I wanted to create a very grungy environment, from looking at the concept it looked like an abandoned place with lots of debris
here and there... I wanted to keep it low saturated with some added atmospheric / lighting effects and subtle fog added using cards in nuke.

Last edited by maze on 27 Oct 2013, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

maze

Post by maze » 27 Oct 2013, 20:44

For the broken glass textures, I decided to go a different way instead of doing it textured in 3D I tried doing it in nuke
as I wasn't really sure what I liked and it was quicker to do iterations... still not quite convinced, but still it was cool
to learn a new way of adding textures in post.

I basically combined 2 tile nodes (one for the front of the glass and one for the side) in nuke using overlay and / screen as merge modes.
each tile node had a broken image clip like this one:

over the broken glass tiles I've added a dust/dirt texture using the same method, here is the nuke script:

maze

Post by maze » 27 Oct 2013, 20:49

this is a quick image about the light rig used (mostly spotlights with a gobo image for light decay and point lights for light bulbs):

and here is one in Mari for the texture part, I tried doing most of the concrete using a combination or mari procedurals and hand paint:

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 28 Oct 2013, 12:15

Only one word : AWESOME!...

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Oct 2013, 18:28

Looks very good, although I can't say I'm a big fan of teh over-saturated game-ish look.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

maze

Post by maze » 29 Oct 2013, 04:19

hey,

@superpositivo, thanks man glad you like it!

@McNistor, Thanks for the comment, I do appreciate your feedback and in fact I do agree with the saturation point, to be honest I've been doing the comp / grading part at home
and my monitor is really bad (hues / saturation... which reminds me I really need to get a decent one and calibrate it as well...) not an excuse but its being a bit hard because everytime
I was looking at those images back at work colors didn't quite match exactly...but well.. you get my point. I did lowered saturation a bit on all images now, hope its easier on the eyes.
I did though wanted to get a very raw / grunge / vintage feeling... thats why I thought I might be cool to make some pure black and white versions... still I am learning comp on my own so I am hoping to get a better attempt doing stuff properly next time ;)

cheers