TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
Superpositivo

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 21:22

I did this hoping to help you understanding how it works or can be.

The image is very simple. It's not intended to be realistic, of course. It's only to explain some basic things about texturing that can help you in your project.
Attachments
TUT_02.jpg
TUT_01.jpg
TUT_0.jpg

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 21:23

And these...
Attachments
TUT_05.jpg
TUT_04.jpg
TUT_03.jpg

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Jun 2017, 21:28

for the clouds,

I would use a grid and ray trace it all so it has that toon look.

You saw what i did for the bushes, but i could also do the same thing for them if i wanted an easier to load tree effect.
doing all the leaves on that bush makes it load much slower :(.

but having some of those textures for bushes or grass would make it look nicer :).

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 21:52

- The images in this case are PNG with their own alpha. So you need to plug the image in the Transparency slot.
In its tab remember to select Use Alpha, and inverting transparency.
Note: Sometimes maybe you happen to have 2 images. 1 with the color, and 1 Black and White for Alpha. So, it means the only this second image has to be plugged in the transparency slot. Softimage uses the WHITE color for transparency, so most of the time you need to invert it in its tab option.

- Projections work just like a real projector in a movie theater. Imagining that in this way it's easy to understand how it works. Practically you need to say to the 3D software where to project your texture. So, the axis indicate you where. If it's a wall it is mostly XY or YZ. If it's a a floor it is probably XZ, because you want to cover everything on the X and everything on the Z.
So you have these kind of projections in the drop down menu of the IMAGE parameters, or directly in the render Tree also. Or in PROPERTY > Texture projections in the left menu and the same in the upper menu. So, many places, in Softimage. Surely it's not hidden...
Note: using Projections under PROPERTY can look as it is the same, and actually it is, but from this you can spread a single projection on many objects in the same time.
Or spread a texture on many tiles (i.e.) where every tile has a piece of the texture. Just put the tiles in a group and give the projection to the GROUP using Property > Texture Projections> ...

This is already something that should help you a lot.

Of course all the most complex things are done in Texture Editor and something else, but it's necessary to know this, first.
Last edited by Superpositivo on 02 Jun 2017, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 21:58

Yes, of course, for the TOON style you need also the textures with a TOON look.
So, you can adjust them in Photoshop or something like that or if you find them already "tooned" in internet.

The bushes and flowers textures it's not a problem, if you want them.
But you can easily find them on Google Images or going in some websites specialized on textures to have a better choice.

I just done that 30 minutes ago to do some of the grass in this images that I made only to show you. So it's really fast actually.

Some textures websites:

https://www.textures.com/
http://archivetextures.net/
http://www.lughertexture.com/vegetation ... ansparency
http://www.swtexture.com/

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 22:04

Remember that, if you are using the TOON INK, in the camera, it will put an outline on the meshes, also.

So, it will happen that your "squared" bushes will have an outline around the squares.

To avoid this you can go in the TOON INK shader, in the camera, go in the ADVANCED tab, check the REQUIRE HOST check box.

Doing this, the outline Ink will appear only on shaders that have the HOST node (like the Paint and Host shader, or Host shader, but I believe you use always the Paint and Host shader).

So, in this case, for your "squared" bushes you need to give a constant shader, or something that remembers the toon shader.
Of course you won't have the outline on the image. That is something that you are forced to do in Photoshop or similar. You can do that very easily, anyway.

You can do it a also with the Toon Ink, but because it tries to follow the pixels of the image is not good at all. So just avoid it.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Jun 2017, 22:06

yeah, I found out in the last two projects, that i'm not good enough to make toon ink render well. so i abandoned it the last two projects. at least as far as the actual inking of the images go. the toon coloring is still there.

I will save these posts and take a look at it when i go to render out the final Real Ghostbusters Intro. Maybe it can help me make the skies look a little nicer as a skin test.. :)

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 02 Jun 2017, 22:39

Maybe this can help you with the toon shader.

In the image you can see two men. LEFT with the Rimlight on and adjusted, and RIGHT, without. You can see the difference.

- The ink is made to give the typical, well, ink line of cartoon or drawings. It has various parameters inside to have a variation on the ink run, like from thinner to bolder.
But in this image I used just as it is. Only changing the spread from 2 to 0.5, to make it thin.

- In the toon shader I turned on the rimlight and put it in black color and Multiply. This to be used a an ink, on the borders.
Softness 0, reduce the softness as preferred. Not to soft, anyway.
Coverage gives you the sensation to have an outline bolder or thinner. It works like the incidence node, so you can change the light influence, but with default parameters it's already ok.
In this way you have a faster ink with, covering some details inside a mesh, and also with an ink look with a variation depending on the mesh, giving a more "hand made" look.

Since the "shader ink" cannot cover really small details, the Toon Ink Lens will do the rest, and you have a continuity.

Of course, this is pretty simple and it can work for many situations. Anyway tweaking parameters in Toon Ink Lens will give you more control (also if the objects are far and smaller, Toon Ink needs to know it, and so, it needs to reduce it's thickness. You can tell it in the variations tabs inside the Toon Ink Lens. Depending on your needs.
Attachments
Toon Tut.jpg

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Jun 2017, 17:21

I discovered Rim Lights By accident last year, and i've found myself using it more and more. I don't know why, but i find that it looks like it adds more detail to it with an extra color.

as for toon ink, the problem i found is that it made tthings look a bit jumbled, and it didn't gi ve the look i really wanted. what i wound up doing was adding in my own manual lines to try and match the show look a little better.

Here is the new vernon i've been working on. on the left, he has rim lights added. the right is the older version from two years ago. the left also has a new face from the meshlab software.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jun 2017, 00:23

a more or less finished vernon. i just need a news crew man, and

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jun 2017, 21:25

Old Versus new

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 15 Jun 2017, 22:10

here is a question, considering this was addressed in this thread.

How can I make the sirens and headlights light up and look flashy in softimage direct?

i can kind of do it in older versions of after effects, but it doesn't look great.

considering textures where brought up in the last few posts, i decided to try again and this is the result. it kind of works

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 20 Jul 2017, 18:52

havn't felt the need to work on it as much since lionsgate hit me with a copyright strike.

sigh.

why work on it when you can't upload it anywhere?

i'll probably finish it at one point.....but need a break for abit.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 29 Aug 2017, 03:30

Ghostbusters is done. going back to turtles for a bit. I think I will do Rip Off and A THIRD try at Big Blow Out back to back so at least three projects will all have the same models.

When you have no life and need projects to keep one busy, it helps to keep one sane and focused.

where to go from that? not sure yet. i'm not good enough to turn this into a full time gig. and I KNOW I don't want to do any more full turtle episodes after this.

Break In looks good enough on it's own and doesn't need a remix. Maybe short clips from shows that could use a little updating attempt?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 30 Aug 2017, 23:21

Shredder565 wrote:
How can I make the sirens and headlights light up and look flashy in softimage direct?

considering textures where brought up in the last few posts, i decided to try again and this is the result. it kind of works
Sorry to answer that just as you were going back to the Turtles,

but might come in handy for the turtles too..

--> you can easily apply lens flares to spots (... and rotate the spots in Y in the case of the sirens)

Cheers,

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 30 Aug 2017, 23:42

if it can animate that nice, looks exactly what might work. i'll mess around with it this weekend